A big project!

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
One way to increase efficiency and you start to work on the interior and deck is build a working floor surrounding much of the boat at deck level. Moving your table saw/bandsaw etc up there and most of the tools so you don't have to go up and down stairs all day.
Acorn to Arabella has done something like this.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
It doesn't have to be wide - 4' or so with a railing. Have a platform at one end for the big power tools if you need space. Lots of room at the transom or alongside the bow (because people build rectangular covering sheds but boats are pointy at the bow thus more room for a bigger platform at the bow.

PaulK

Super Anarchist
Why not put the tools on the deck itself, or on a hatch cover? No need to build a platform. Much of the interior was taken out and put in storage at the outset, so how much are heavy tools going to be needed anyway?

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Why not put the tools on the deck itself, or on a hatch cover? No need to build a platform. Much of the interior was taken out and put in storage at the outset, so how much are heavy tools going to be needed anyway?
There will be nothing actually left original of the old Talley Ho. These folks are quite enterprising with many facets in this sophisticated social media marketing boat program. There is even an old wood reuse initiative in the works. Get on that donor list, take a piece of the old Ho and personally feel part of this solid program.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 5.04.00 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulK

Super Anarchist
There will be nothing actually left original of the old Talley Ho. These folks are quite enterprising with many facets in this sophisticated social media marketing boat program. There is even an old wood reuse initiative in the works. Get on that donor list, take a piece of the old Ho and personally feel part of this solid program.

View attachment 428912
Oops- got her confused with Coronet, in Newport. Coronet's interior has been stowed away.  Tally Ho was an empty hull when Leo got her. 

PaulK

Super Anarchist
German magazine summarises one of Leo's videos: https://floatmagazin.de/leute/das-plankenkleid-der-tally-ho-leo-sampson

I guess it's a cheap way of filling pages
 Possibly a good way for Leo to add to his viewers and supporters as well. After reading the article, English-speaking Germans who hadn't known about Tally Ho are likely to look her up online. Note how they must have gotten his OK to  use his copyrighted photos throughout the article.    

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
So what started up as a backyard personal project has now basically mutated into a commercially operated shipyard...

The pitfalls of a disruptive business model, where the product of the endeavor is not considered the economic goal, but the internet content generated along the way.

I guess this is what it will come down to, what is the ultimate aim of Leo's project? For most of us here, I don't think there is much doubt, we all just want to see Tally Ho sailing again. But from a legal and tax point of view, it's hard to dispute the fact that whatever he's doing, he's generating income from it.

Lots of you guys out there are based in the PNW, anyone out there who can reach out to Leo and give him a hand with the county, to ensure at least that Tally Ho can be completed to a moveable condition before being forced out of Sequim?

Of course, he will then need to find a suitable shipyard as well to finish the project...

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
On a smaller scale my boat projects have been subjected to rules, weird neighbors and economics.   I feel for Leo but, as he says, he knew this going forward from the time they first showed up to hassle the shed details.

He’ll prolly lose in a hearing & then relocate to a better spot.   Life will be better in the end for Leo.  

Tally Ho!

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Wherever you go in the world these days, there is a Department of Don't Do Anything Interesting (DODDAI).

DODDAI never dares tackle the abuses of big business (esp the major polluters), because the big guys are lawyered up and politicianed up.   So the bureaucrats go for the soft targets, i.e. the little people who have no lawyers and no compliance department.  Belch crap out the chimney of your factory: no problem.  But make a minor and inconsequential error in the size of your hardstanding or the config of your guttering, and Borg is coming your way.

Around my way, these enforcers are easily identifiable: they drive shiny, newish cars and wear expensive anoraks whilst harassing people in cheap wellies and tired overalls who use 15-year-old vehicles.  We have phone trees and messaging groups to track the movements of DODDAI.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
I'm curious how many of the other neighbors have "home based industry" issues.  I'm gonna guess, for example, that any of them who raise livestock or grow hay or whatever, have both revenue and labor associated with their efforts.  Probably noise (farm equipment) and "air pollution" (odors) as well.

Wonder if Leo can spark some of them to help him, as it helps them too.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Cristoforo said:
I'm curious how many of the other neighbors have "home based industry" issues.  I'm gonna guess, for example, that any of them who raise livestock or grow hay or whatever, have both revenue and labor associated with their efforts.  Probably noise (farm equipment) and "air pollution" (odors) as well.

Wonder if Leo can spark some of them to help him, as it helps them too.
Im pretty sure the majority of his neighbors and local government and tax officials are not going to be sympathetic to a kid running a commercial boat building venture out 
of a residence while breaking codes and laws, even if its an historic yacht. (or will have  2 or 3 pieces of a historic yacht left in it). They have to enforce the codes and dont give a shit about Youtuber petitions. Likely he will negotiate a longer extension to move it to a commercial zone. I love old boats but I wouldnt want to be sipping an ice tea out on my deck while listening to a guy next door running a big planer and chainsaws for months on end. So the neighbor might be a dick but even dicks have rights. Arabella guys had similar issues with their shed meeting code and had to beef it up. Lots of folks would like to fund side businesses/hobbies with full time paid employees via youtube. Is 'No Feet Pete' getting 1099s? Paying income tax like the rest of us?   Is Leo giving him medical and dental? Workman's Comp?  401k?
It mitte be me, butte you conserne dose notte semme 'genuine'.  The 'shitt stirreng' seemes genuine................                :)

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
Cristoforo said:
I wouldnt want to be sipping an ice tea out on my deck while listening to a guy next door running a big planer and chainsaws
Might be valid in a neighborhood (although, even in a neighborhood, people run can do things on their own property, even things that might disturb the quiet during daytime hours)

But this isn't a neighborhood, where you're 10 feet away while sitting on that deck.  This is rural farmland.  The nearest neighbor is 100 yards away, the next nearest close to twice that.

(this is not the actual locale, but... similar enough to illustrate the point)  

If Leo's not doing the right paperwork (taxes on income, 1099s to independent contractors, etc) that's one thing, and fixable.  But in an area surrounded by working farms and such, the nuisance complaints are bullshit.  The property owner has every right to have a boat rebuilt on his property.

farm.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

familysailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
Cristoforo said:
Latest video. Hard to tell if Leo or the neighbor is  being a whiny bitch or not. The neighbor does have a point he basically has a saw mill running next to him for several years. The county does have a point Leo is collecting income and paying employees.  No taxation happening. Building and other codes out of compliance. Everyone appreciates what he is doing (except the neighbor where there is prior bad blood that predates him apparently). 
Is  Leo being cool or homo? 
Here is the video you are referring to:

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
It mitte be me, butte you conserne dose notte semme 'genuine'.  The 'shitt stirreng' seemes genuine................                :)
You don't know Cristoforo very well, do you?  I've had him on ignore for a long time.  A shit stirrer is a polite way of describing him.