A big project!

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
Might be valid in a neighborhood (although, even in a neighborhood, people run can do things on their own property, even things that might disturb the quiet during daytime hours)

But this isn't a neighborhood, where you're 10 feet away while sitting on that deck.  This is rural farmland.  The nearest neighbor is 100 yards away, the next nearest close to twice that.

(this is not the actual locale, but... similar enough to illustrate the point)  

If Leo's not doing the right paperwork (taxes on income, 1099s to independent contractors, etc) that's one thing, and fixable.  But in an area surrounded by working farms and such, the nuisance complaints are bullshit.  The property owner has every right to have a boat rebuilt on his property.

View attachment 431668
I live in a very similar area.  There have been people who have moved in and immediately started complaining about the farmers, their livestock, and the smell of the fields after the raw manure fertilization.

Luckily, there's laws covering that now.

But I've also watched the city try to repeatedly shut down a boat yard.  First for not having proper 'bathroom facilities', then for not having a 'green belt' in front of the property, then for blight (they didn't like the empty cradles) etc.  The boat yard has been around for over 100 years, and predates any of their new 'beautification' rules.  Luckily, the owner is far more determined than them, and just keeps finding new ways of pissing them off while managing to toe the line.

Sometimes I truly understand the guys who carry guns and threaten to shoot any government official that comes near their property.

Unfortunately, as stupid as their rules might be, if Leo's violating them he's going to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Cristoforo said:
You’re just not very bright.  None of your arguments are relative here. Suggest you hang out in PA for now on 
SS at ist finneste..........  dissmissieve...... ollaye!        :)

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
^^

Good post Grrr.

(except for the guns bit)

Having built my own boat in a less population dense region than Leo, I sympathise with his predicament.

Our neighbour over 500 meters away would continually complain to council , and I would recieve regular visits from the council

inspector. I was deemed to be acting in accordance with council regulation and had nothing to fear. 

The situation does create unpleasant pressure and stress in what is at times already a stressful undertaking.

In Australia  Pete would be considered  a subcontractor and hence be  responsible for his  own tax and insurance etc.

Not sure in USA though.

At the end of the day one moves to less populated areas for the peace and open spaces. Years of industrial noise would drive one bonkers. Its not as if this is someone  mowing their lawn once a fortnight type noise.

I'm a little surprised he has had this long a run at it. Surely no one thought a project of this size and notoriety could go on in the outer burbs forever before someone got pissed.

Hopefully Leo can find a solution. At least the boat wont take long to get to a moveable stage (if it comes to this)even if he uses temporary construction ply to stabilize the deck and a couple of bulkheads.

I look forward to his videos and will continue to donate.

PS.

For those familiar with Noakes shipyard and the North Sydney council shit fight, there is probably a few similarities.

PPS

Hasn't Pete got a workshop down near the water somewhere? Hard standing for Tally Ho available??

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
I think Leo should declare Tally Ho his home, ASAP

He could draw up papers with the property owner leasing that part of the property for $1/year or something.  Similar to if they'd allowed him to live on that part of the property in a mobile home.  

Washington State has a no-eviction order going right now, because of COVID, so it'd be impossible for the county to tell him to move the boat, or stop living in it. 

And certainly he'd have the right to work on his "home".  Who could possibly deny him that?

:p

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
You don't know Cristoforo very well, do you?  I've had him on ignore for a long time.  A shit stirrer is a polite way of describing him.
He's just a wannabe-shit-stirrer.  His malodorous droppings are more rabbit poop than male bovine excrement, and rarely cause a ripple.

If only he had invested in a copy of Shit Stirring for Dummies.

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
cool and homo are not mutually exclusive. I have lots of gay friends who are super cool!
“Cool or homo” is one of those old, and yes juvenile, SA traditions. I don’t know the exact origin but the usage is generally in the context of looking for an opinion on whether something is, well “cool” or... not cool.

For example, a poll asking, “Leo’s tattoos - cool or homo?”

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
“Cool or homo” is one of those old, and yes juvenile, SA traditions. I don’t know the exact origin but the usage is generally in the context of looking for an opinion on whether something is, well “cool” or... not cool.
It is indeed juvenile, but it's also nasty.  This sort of language makes SA a cold place for the the targets of such childishness.

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
Unfortunately it's a real uphill battle for Leo now. All the big wheel and all of its cogs will want to do is swiftly get rid of him so this annoying neighbour stops harassing them.

I would be concerned about fines and additional taxes to the property owner if they consider this a commercial enterprise. Rather than stressing about this hearing I would focus on moving ASAP. He'll lose this live-in workshop he's got now (potentially) but he'll be in a legally compliant. Last thing he needs is to get deported for being a nuisance.

Mark Set

Anarchist
Texas
I dont see how the nuisance caused by hi work is any different than building a house. As for this 'home based industry' claim, this is farmland, they all have that! Sounds like this neighbor is a bit of a nut, complaining about the noise the parrot makes!

Leo said once he gets the rest of the planks and the ballast keel on he can move it. My guess is that is what will happen. 

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
“I've already sent an email to the county commissioners protesting his treatment- here's the form for Clallam county's general contact form- you can find the one specifically for their community development office on the same website.”
I'd say don't do this.....  you are just going to annoy and piss off the gov. employees and make things only worse for Leo.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I dont see how the nuisance caused by hi work is any different than building a house. As for this 'home based industry' claim, this is farmland, they all have that! Sounds like this neighbor is a bit of a nut, complaining about the noise the parrot makes!

Leo said once he gets the rest of the planks and the ballast keel on he can move it. My guess is that is what will happen. 
and deck.

blunderfull

Super Anarchist
I'd say don't do this.....  you are just going to annoy and piss off the gov. employees and make things only worse for Leo.
Well, if it will hit Leo hard financially to move his boat & shop - why not question the city about this?    They expect him to roll over w/o process?   

If he wanted to keep this dispute in-house I believe he would not have gone viral on his channel.  I think he’s clearly reaching out for mediation and/or legal aid.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
 He needs a lawyer. The paper he was asked to sign (promising to leave) to get a permit for the boat cover is/was bullshit. Either permit a building or not, adding usage clauses to it is (I beleive) illegal.

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
 He needs a lawyer. The paper he was asked to sign (promising to leave) to get a permit for the boat cover is/was bullshit. Either permit a building or not, adding usage clauses to it is (I beleive) illegal.
I've (unfortunately) dealt with a lot of AHJs (Authorities having Jurisdiction) for permitting, developments, and rezoning. There is next to no recourse available in the permitting process and extra clauses like that are very common. The only thing that holds weight on an AHJ like this is a loss in revenue for the business moving elsewhere or enough constituents get pissed off that an elected official gets involved. Seeing as how the AHJ wants him gone and the neighbour is causing a huge headache he's pretty fucked.

Money talks and they aren't getting any from Leo.

Antoine31

New Mexico
Interesting thing about his location is that Sequim  has a much better climate than  the surrounding areas.  Some kind of weather shadow I'm told. Much colder and wetter in Port Townsend.