A big project!

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
One thought (although not one without ramifications) might be for Leo to sell Tally Ho to his host, for a dollar, with a contract that says he can buy it back for a dollar on some date (two years out?)

Then the county's position gets more complicated.  Instead of a 3rd-party doing "industrial work" on the host's property, Leo would be an independent contractor doing work on the host's boat on the host's property, and the whole concept of "industry in a neighborhood" goes away.

(of course, that doesn't accomplish anything with regard to the Karen in the neighborhood...)

Mark Set

Anarchist
Texas
This is the work site if im not mistaken? Nearest neighbor is 280 ft away...

Leo.JPG

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
I understand- but have not seen on any recent overhead imagery - that someone has built a house a lot closer.  There have been a couple of places in the videos where you can see it.

ObNote, I also understand that the new/close neighbor is not the one raising the complaints.

Leo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
I wonder what timescale he agreed to. A month, six months, a year? Everything takes longer than you had hoped, especially having lost Rosie. Port Townsend would have definite upsides in terms of access to additional skills and advice (although Leo doesn't seem to need much of that), but the weather is not nearly as pleasant for working outside all the time. Leo has 4000+ patrons. He might need a few more to pay the costs of this change.

allene222

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Just a wild ass guess. I would assume he set some expectation with his hosts. Two years? He has probably exceeded his host's expectations and has wanted to get out of there as soon as he can so as not to impose on his gracious hosts for any longer.

If he is in Port Townsend, he could also likely work for salary if he had to get more money.  He may not be able to have volunteers as housing would be an expense for unpaid volunteers that they might not be able to deal with although I guess I really don't know if everyone sleeps in the shed.

I guess it depends on how much money he is getting from YouTube and the patrons. The videos are long and I guess they could have a lot of ads. I don't see ads on YouTube because I have a Premium account so I don't know.

allene222

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
cheep charlie here and no ads ,perish the thought .
Interesting. I ran the latest video in an incognito window and there were ads in the lead in.

I have no idea how much revenue YouTube generates. I have one video that has over 300,000 views and I have not gotten noticeable revenue from it. I think I got $100 once. 

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I have a chrome plugin that blocks ALL ads from youtube.  I havent seen an ad in years.

image.png

btw, I also recommend this plugin to bypass paywalls for the occasional article you want to read.  Obviously, you should subscribe if you read it regularly, but if not, this works really well.
image.png

Upp3

Anarchist
I guess it depends on how much money he is getting from YouTube and the patrons. The videos are long and I guess they could have a lot of ads. I don't see ads on YouTube because I have a Premium account so I don't know.
No commercial breaks. Just the one or two ads at the beginning.

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
I think moving the boat and conceding to this crazy neighbour on favourable terms is the best decision at this point.

While it seems this neighbour is the type to hide behind the blinds and call city officials I can't help but think there's a remote chance they'll take things into their own hands and light a fire under Tally Ho if they've lost this battle.

Windward

Super Anarchist
I think moving the boat and conceding to this crazy neighbour on favourable terms is the best decision at this point.

While it seems this neighbour is the type to hide behind the blinds and call city officials I can't help but think there's a remote chance they'll take things into their own hands and light a fire under Tally Ho if they've lost this battle.
I would guess that this scenario would be unlikely.  Karen probably does not have the courage for any activity beyond phone calls and letters to government.  These busybodies are the blight on any neighborhood, association, or any larger gathering of humans.

Leo's loss of the shop is going to be a problem for him.

It's always one apple that ruins the barrel.  Just look at SA.  Any thread has the possibility of being ruined by one poster. (perhaps me?)  Yup...

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
I wonder if being in Pt Townsend will pay dividends in the later stages of the project?  Seems like once the structure is in place, there will be a ton of metalwork required & lots of bits and bobs that can't be fabricated in their shop.  Might be a real benefit to being closer to town at that point.  

t.rex

How far away is the shop from Port Townsend ?

In terms of time, by car. I don't think the patreons can afford a heli, but you never know.

IStream

Super Anarchist
I wouldn't be surprised if Leo's current hosts were willing to let him take the shop tools to PT for a bit.

Latest posts