A big project!

sAiLiNg AnArChY

Novmember
I've sampled this great series on Youtube, but not watched every episode. Does anywhere Leo mention if an original stick of wood from the original Tally Ho is used on the new vessel? Something must have been usable, even if only for a suitable nautical toothpick holder.

Does he mention if he saved any of the old wood? The Ship of Theseus Society is looking for a new project.

Last edited:

gt-MTb

When Leo moved to PT, I thought he said he was leasing space from Pete's new venture... so Pete was both an employee and landlord...

Hope Pete and Leo are on friendly terms... just time for Pete to focus on his business venture.

Any local in PT than can get some local scuttle?

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
He's probably gotten work that enables him to be his own boss, and is busy doing it.

+1 My guess is with the exposure he got through the videos, and the demonstrable range and quality of his work, he's probably in demand and can set own his fees at something more than he was getting paid as an employee of the project....

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
+1 My guess is with the exposure he got through the videos, and the demonstrable range and quality of his work, he's probably in demand and can set own his fees at something more than he was getting paid as an employee of the project....
I hope you guys are right. I guess I was just hoping for an official send-off video to his new exciting project and maybe even talk about it the future. Instead, in one video Leo says, "Pete has moved on to new projects." And that's the end of it. That girl that was rebuilding motorcycles on the side got more airtime when she left the channel.

IStream

Super Anarchist
I don't think there's any bad blood, quite the opposite. Pete's shop is adjacent to the building Tally Ho is in and he was there with an open door when the Tally Ho open house was going on at the PT Wooden Boat Festival in September.

Some people just don't want a big fuss made and Pete strikes me as that kinda guy.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
I feel like they had a falling out or something. I am truly curious. His exit was quick and without any fanfare.
Leo used the phrase "by mutual agreement" to describe Pete's departure.

That usually means that both parties are pissed off with each other, but have agreed not to wash their dirty laundry in public.

It was notable that the praise for Pete was quite brief and restrained.

pqbon

Cambridge UK
I always had the impression that Pete was of two minds...
He loved working on a project that was as exacting and ideal as Tally Ho. He also seemed to like working with someone as skilled as Leo.
He didn't seem to love the camera or the documenting of his work/life.
He seemed to bristle at the camera more and more as time went on spending less and less time on camera and being more salty when on camera.
I think he also seemed to prefer to work on his own and not "teach" while working with less experianced team members. He seemed happiest working with Leo directly or on his own.

I suspect that exposure was enough that he could afford to go off and work on his own again.

Finknottle

UK
I've sampled this great series on Youtube, but not watched every episode. Does anywhere Leo mention if an original stick of wood from the original Tally Ho is used on the new vessel? Something must have been usable, even if only for a suitable nautical toothpick holder.

Does he mention if he saved any of the old wood? The Ship of Theseus Society is looking for a new project.

Most of the transom was built from reclaimed timber plus other bits and pieces. I think he hoped to get the bulwarks out of old timber but I may have made that up.

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Most of the transom was built from reclaimed timber plus other bits and pieces. I think he hoped to get the bulwarks out of old timber but I may have made that up.
I think a fair bit of teak from the original is being used. With the price of teak I can understand. Ignoring the labour cost, which we shouldn't, the material cost for this boat is staggering.