...A Blast from the future...revisited

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
This is an archived thread about Zotl, a rather unusual craft

Anyway, the boat is now for sale: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-character-wood-sailboat/7454760593.html

At the time a poster complained about how ugly it was with the reverse sheer and rolled deck edge. 

There is also the "wave piercing bow" look to her.  All these things kind of make her look somewhat au courant now.

Actually, I used to think she was ugly as well, but I've kind of gotten used to seeing those design elements and now find her quite interesting.

Kind of a cool looking boat in a Jules Verne sort of way.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I remember the first time I saw Zotl - we were sailing past Caulfield cove about 40 years ago when she came  out of the cove.

It was such a staggeringly bizarre sight that we circled back to get a closer look to be sure we had actually seen what we thought we had seen.

Offhand I can't recall another boat that so demanded eye bleach after seeing it. The Fairey Atalanta is the only real competition she has.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boathavn

Hof & Gammel Dansk - Skål !
Incomparable.

I 01515_k7HVBeB2vqz_0oH0t2_1200x900.jpg

01616_jfBq1r3viBWz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

A

Amati

The hull really does look up to date- a blister instead of the present cabin, change the toe rails, carbon rig…..

accnick

Super Anarchist
That boat has more than a passing resemblance to the various Amphibi-con  and Controversy boats designed and built by Cy Hamlin and Farnham Butler in Maine in the early 1950s. The small boat here is the Amphibi-con, designed to be towed by a vehicle, and the larger one is a Controversy 36.

They were built up at the head of Somes Sound on Mt. Desert Island. The boatyard is still there.

Amphibicon.jpg

Controversy 36.jpg

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Giver a better color, get ride of that eye on the deck and an updated cabin house.  Otherwise, I can see it.  Not my cup of tea, but there seems to be an effort to make her a nice craft.  

One thing for sure, sail her into any yacht club and I feel sure you will be noticed.  

If she is a sailer, I think she would be a fun boat, just to be seen in.  

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Dang, that boat was sailing English bay in the 60's, definitely '72. 

A hauntingly remarkable feature was how it would be the only thing moving on the bay when the water is glass, and moving well!

Drop a digit from the price, and I'd call 'im before posting!   :rolleyes:

eliboat

Super Anarchist
That boat has more than a passing resemblance to the various Amphibi-con  and Controversy boats designed and built by Cy Hamlin and Farnham Butler in Maine in the early 1950s. The small boat here is the Amphibi-con, designed to be towed by a vehicle, and the larger one is a Controversy 36.

They were built up at the head of Somes Sound on Mt. Desert Island. The boatyard is still there.

View attachment 496659

View attachment 496660
RIP CY!

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
does it still have the mile long tiller? the pics of that in the old thread got me thinking .. maybe it has a trap to hike out on .. hence the long stick

cool boat though.. every old is new again..