A Bump in the Night.

So did you sailing guys every like bump into anything while you were sailing?

I'll start I once ran into the New Smyrna Beach Bridge.

I didn't mean to but....

sailingk8

Super Anarchist
The Swamp
The wall at the top of Ego Alley, Annapolis. Then we got stuck, rocked it off with the bottles rolling around in the cockpit. Spun it around then hit the dock by the hotel. Tied up, stowed the sails and staggered off to the bar. That was quite a few moons ago but still probably my favorite Memorial weekend ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

allene222

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
I had a buoy run into me. I was stopped at the time and the damn thing just came and hit me. Might have had something to do with the 2 knot current.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Hit Fiji several times, tricky country, moves all the time. Thank you to the inventor of steel.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
Brent Swain will be along shortly to explain how he crashed on the reef in the foaming surf for months and only got a cut lip and mildly chapped balls.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
First transatlantic I ever did, just after midnight on a 52' schooner, dark, lots of stars, a little bit of moonlight. Ghosting along at maybe 6 knots, I'm the only one on deck just of Nantucket and I hear "thump...thumphththththh." As I look off the transom I'd hit the end of a lobster pot string, big pole with a radar reflector on it. Listen to hear if anybody is going to come up from below and give me the WTF on that - nope, everyone is still asleep or didn't care. I'm thinking to myself what are the odds of hitting one of those when I hear "thump...thumphththththth..." Yep. Hit the buoy on the other end of the string.

I didn't do my circles.

First transatlantic I ever did, just after midnight on a 52' schooner, dark, lots of stars, a little bit of moonlight. Ghosting along at maybe 6 knots, I'm the only one on deck just of Nantucket and I hear "thump...thumphththththh." As I look off the transom I'd hit the end of a lobster pot string, big pole with a radar reflector on it. Listen to hear if anybody is going to come up from below and give me the WTF on that - nope, everyone is still asleep or didn't care. I'm thinking to myself what are the odds of hitting one of those when I hear "thump...thumphththththth..." Yep. Hit the buoy on the other end of the string.

I didn't do my circles.
First night on the way to Bermuda. Fog and light winds. Struggle to keep the thing moving at all with currents off of Nomans. I am on the leeward rail peering up at the headsail concentrating when all of a sudden thump-thump-thump along the leeward side comes this 12' pole with a reflector that almost beaned me in the head too...scared the shite out of me

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
hit an unlit red nun on our J105....7-8pm in October (dark with no moonlight and cold as fuck) I was heading home after a regatta single handed..the buoy slid along the entire length of the starboard hull (amazed there was zero damage) freaked the fuck out of me...

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
I was on one of the big grey boats that got into some thin water. Took the sonar dome off the bottom of the hull.

I was a junior officer sleeping in one of the forward messes. In the dark, here is how the conversation went:

<Loud scraping noise>

"What was that noise?"

"I think the anchor was just lowered."

"There were no plans to anchor at 3:00 am."

"Oh."

"Maybe we hit bottom."

"Oh."

"I guess we should get up."

"Yeah. Probably".

<Everone starts getting up>

10 second later...

<Emergency alarm and the whole ship goes crazy>

Nettles

Super Anarchist
Mumbledead
Hit one of the unlit buoys of the torpedo range off Newport one night at about 9 knots in a twelve meter. We knew it was there but the lookout chose the moments before the collision to see what was creaking on the deck. Good thing he was the owner. Big red thing with a reflector on top rolled down the weather side. I was driving and didn't see it until it was at the chainplates. Scared the crap out of me.

No damage, not even paint. I wonder if it was rubber.

Had a 'bump' in the night at anchor, because somebody came in late and anchored too close, and as we swung....

That'll ruin a good night's sleep.

Almost hit the bay bridge once due to current, but managed to get the engine started. Had the plastic kayak rigged as a big fender.

Starbuck

Puget Sound
Did a Southern Straights out of Vancouver last year and hit 5 logs during the night and narrowly missed a few more. Before that night, I had only hit 2 logs in 10 years...

coyotepup

Anarchist
Michigan
I was on one of the big grey boats that got into some thin water. Took the sonar dome off the bottom of the hull.

I was a junior officer sleeping in one of the forward messes. In the dark, here is how the conversation went:

<Loud scraping noise>

"What was that noise?"

"I think the anchor was just lowered."

"There were no plans to anchor at 3:00 am."

"Oh."

"Maybe we hit bottom."

"Oh."

"I guess we should get up."

"Yeah. Probably".

<Everone starts getting up>

10 second later...

<Emergency alarm and the whole ship goes crazy>
As OOD on a big gray boat, I very specifically did not whack another big gray boat, which is what's supposed to happen, but trickier than it sounds when you're maneuvering in a 1,000 yard formation and the other big gray boat ignores the order to do a 90-degree turn.

I did tip the CO off his treadmill with my hard left rudder avoidance maneuver, though. He was on the bridge in gym clothes lightning quick, politely asking what the fuck I thought I was doing.