a/c thermostats swing and delay settings ?

nota

Anarchist
swing is the number of degrees between on and off for cooling or heat
and delay is for the a/c compressor not locking from start/stop/starting too often
and better to run longer be off longer cycle

hard to find on some units eazy on others

with a direct relation to days to ship never in stock units
to being exactly what I want and the ones on the shelf not being close

honeywell being the in stock little data
but the homedumpo pick in many versions

do not want internet BS or 7 different day sets just CONTROL how quick it restart
if it knows the power cuts off/on blinks to delay on not

ESP IF POWER BLINKS AND COMPRESSOR HARD STARTS WITH NO TIME OUT CONTROL ie instant hot/hard starts blows breakers
that is the hardest value to know most just DO NOT PROTECT from power blips
just their own power switching is delayed if the cut it then the timer starts

any one clearer on the best/ cost/ reliable protecting thermostat's for A/C

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
We have rental home with in slab radiant heating. The tenant suggested we get a smart thermostat that learns to turn the system off before it actually gets to the target temp and also learns to turn it on before the temp coasts down below the target temp or something like that.

In any case it learns how the system works and does some level of anticipation to reduce the amplitude of the cycles and then also reduces the amount of time it needs to be on. I never looked into it.

billsreef

Anarchist
Miami
At least on the compressor units I've dealt with, the restart delay is part of the controls mounted on the compressor chassis, not the thermostat.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
We had NEST before but changed to Daiken’s therm when we installed our AC two years ago (actually they are heat pumps but that’s not the point). The NEST were great and you don’t have to use the internet, it runs off your home WI-FI or completely stand alone. They were easy to install and use. I love Daikens connection and phone/iPad app now though.

nota

Anarchist
At least on the compressor units I've dealt with, the restart delay is part of the controls mounted on the compressor chassis, not the thermostat.
so if I can trip the breaker on restart after a powerblip now
I can't get delay in a new thermostat ?

I think when the thermostat said delay it is ONLY after the unit stopped by it's own commands not a power problem blip/restart

I would like for BOTH to happen

you are correct as that jogged my memory of paying a pro to jump a delay start switch that had failed as to replace the switch required the gas be lost/replaced on an other older unit before recovery machines for the gas were common

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
How did humans make it this far w/o computers?
I'm amazed that the Greeks, Romans, Mayans, Hindu, etc. were able to get through a day, much less develop complex architectural, mathmatic, solar, and societal concepts.... They didn't even have freakin' FLIP PHONES!

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
All I want is someone to teach my wife what a thermostat is and that it doesn't need to be adjusted every 5 minutes.
Don’t get me going. Wife goes for a bike ride in winter and walks into a 72F house sweating. Can we turn down the heat? It’s hot in here. No. Wife gets out of shower and hair is wet and the shower was really hot. Hey turn up the heat the house is cold. No. It’s 74F. Dry off and get dressed. Its 90F outside, wife is working in her ceramic studio and finally is so sweaty she walks down the driveway to the house, which is 75 inside and closed up(no ac). As she walks into a 8 knot 90F breeze she feels cool and refreshed and walks into the house and says it’s really nice outside let’s open the house so we can feel the breeze. No. Sit at the dining table under the ceiling fan. It’s 75F inside and 90F outside. You were evaporating the sweat off your body. Better yet take a shower. She takes a shower. Then she says when she’s wet can we turn off the fan? No, go dry off and sit in the living room by the hot SW wall on the sofa. 15 mins later. Wow it’s hot in here. Go sit in the back of the house which is still 70.

This has gone on for years. She never thinks about the science. My engineer sons ask me are all women like this? Is it an over 50 thing? I shrug and say I don’t know this is the only one I ever lived with. She finally got the opening the house at night and closing it in the morning on hot days. We literally had to agree on a specific temp differential to open the house. 5F. So when the living area finally gets to 78 and it’s breezy and 83 outside we open up.

Last edited:

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Most of the time we don’t need AC being so close to the beach but several weeks this past month……95 during the day (and raining) and a low of 75 at night……..at the frigging beach! Jeepers! So….we break the usual pattern of open at night with fans drawing from outside and close up in morning till temp rises then AC and we had to change to have AC on…..a lot……but I am allowed to manage the therm so…..it’s 78 during the day, around 1800 the upstairs unit gets dropped to 70 for sleep preparation. Fans on all the time. Luckily that spell relented over the last day or two so we’re back to the open air cooling.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Most of the time we don’t need AC being so close to the beach but several weeks this past month……95 during the day (and raining) and a low of 75 at night……..at the frigging beach! Jeepers! So….we break the usual pattern of open at night with fans drawing from outside and close up in morning till temp rises then AC and we had to change to have AC on…..a lot……but I am allowed to manage the therm so…..it’s 78 during the day, around 1800 the upstairs unit gets dropped to 70 for sleep preparation. Fans on all the time. Luckily that spell relented over the last day or two so we’re back to the open air cooling.
Yeah it’s been weird this year. Even up here we had some hot and muggy days. Humidity with heat is really unusual here. You guys really got a tropical blast for sure. Also rare but less rare down there.