A cruise to Pitcairn Island....

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
A fellow WI36 owner checked back in with me to say that he left Bermuda and is on a cruise with a final destination (for now) of Pitcairn Island. Check them out here, Alex Brooks and his partner Sarah on board Bob in the Galapagos Islands currently.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
If I was planning a cruise to Pitcairn, it would not be the final destination. I'd want to come home.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
By final I meant that was as far as his cruise plan went. I did not get the impression that he was going to remain there.

savoir

Super Anarchist
Pitcairn is a dreadful place to cruise. The island has no port or bays or harbors so you can only go ashore in ideal conditions. All the time you have to watch for weather changes and be ready to get the hell out of there if a strong breeze fills in.

They can have it. There is good reason for hardly any cruisers visiting Pitcairn.

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
Have you been Savoir? The history interests me a lot. Id like to check it out. The Bounty, the resettlement to Norfolk id & then back to Pitcairn. The bloke who lived on Henderson island with a chimpanzee. But agree it's way out of the way.

savoir

Super Anarchist
Scary stuff.

I have never been there and don't want to go. It is a long voyage to find conditions like that when you arrive.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Pitcairn is a dreadful place to cruise. The island has no port or bays or harbors so you can only go ashore in ideal conditions. All the time you have to watch for weather changes and be ready to get the hell out of there if a strong breeze fills in.

They can have it. There is good reason for hardly any cruisers visiting Pitcairn.
and they saide its notte on the charttes ethere.........

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I'd like to go there. It's bleak, bleke, whatever, bleke.

I'm bleke.

I would be content there.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
The locals who have gone back there and original descendants which now comprises nearly half the population of Norfolk Is following the entire island being vacated and moving to Norfolk in the 1850's are a pretty weird bunch and commensurate with their close breeding habits.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
do your homework

children not permitted to visit due to centuries ingrained rape culture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_sexual_assault_trial_of_2004
I read about that trial. Brits & Kiwi's built a courthouse & holding cells for the case, sent judges & staff & in the end hardly any did real time. A lot of the offenders got off easy on bonds or house arrest because they were essential to the survival of the island. Needed to cultivate food, fix water plants, operate barges to collect freight, service generators etc. One or two of the worst offenders went to jail in NZ from memory.

The Pitcairner's thought they had their own rules like a lot of remote places. Unlikely a visiting child would be abducted & raped.

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
The locals who have gone back there and original descendants which now comprises nearly half the population of Norfolk Is following the entire island being vacated and moving to Norfolk in the 1850's are a pretty weird bunch and commensurate with their close breeding habits.
That's what living on an island in the middle of nowhere with your family does to you.

Most youngsters leave for school in NZ or the UK & never return. Pitcairn did start to seek new families a few years back but I don't know how that went. They do alright from passing cruise ships, online sales, pimping out their country designation & lets not the forget the essential pacific island government handout.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
do your homework

children not permitted to visit due to centuries ingrained rape culture https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_sexual_assault_trial_of_2004
I read about that trial. Brits & Kiwi's built a courthouse & holding cells for the case, sent judges & staff & in the end hardly any did real time. A lot of the offenders got off easy on bonds or house arrest because they were essential to the survival of the island. Needed to cultivate food, fix water plants, operate barges to collect freight, service generators etc. One or two of the worst offenders went to jail in NZ from memory.
The Pitcairner's thought they had their own rules like a lot of remote places. Unlikely a visiting child would be abducted & raped.
That's how the whole investigation & trial kicked off, an English pastor had his 12yr old daughter abducted & raped in the middle of the night.

It's no coincidence that the most senior Christian's on the islands totem pole were the most implicated, and also the most "essential"? You think they ever taught a woman how to splash & drive one of the longboats, let alone one of the "lower" men?

I had a long drunken convo with a charter captain who marooned himself there for 6mos long before the bullshit was exposed. "Disenchanted" would be a polite term.