A Fair Days Pay

hugob

We are looking for a fair price for a fair days work. I Would love to get some feedback on the issue.

My buddy and I are invited regularly to help out crew for owners mostly Sydney38, OD 40, and Cruiser racer type toys.

Most of the owners are in Sydney harbour some in Pittwater.

We enjoy racing especially making the things go round corners efficiantly and getting the results we all enjoy.

Our weekend and mid week jolly has evolved into training crew and setting up boats ect. Last week we were asked how much it would cost to get a regular crew up to speed and do a couple of training races. The thought of asking for money has crossed our minds before but never really came up as it has all been word of mouth and favours for mates and multiple cases of beer.

We have always focussed on the fundamentals, enhancing existing skill sets and getting sails up and down efficiently getting around the track with no clusterfucks and having a good time.The list goes on.

The end result is always positive so what is it worth?

We quoted $200 each for the day racing or just training and the owner was ok with that. It seems most of this stuff is secret men’s business between owners. Any owners out their have any feedback? We don't intend giving up our day jobs.

Cheers

Phoenix

Super Anarchist
Eastport, USA
At $2,000 per day you are getting a real heavy. Very good non name brands get from $750 to 1,500 per day. You can get a very good young one design type with excellent credentials for $500. There are exceptions where discounts are offered for extended sets of regattas.

When getting or giving coaching it helps to remember the skill level of the students. At the upper levels of the sport, more detail and more ability to teach are required. At the beginner level, it helps to keep it pretty simple.

I think $200 per day for two talented types without the teaching creds is probably pretty fair. The neat thing is that you will learn more teaching than they learn learning.

cobutter

We are looking for a fair price for a fair days work. I Would love to get some feedback on the issue.
My buddy and I are invited regularly to help out crew for owners mostly Sydney38, OD 40, and Cruiser racer type toys.

Most of the owners are in Sydney harbour some in Pittwater.

We enjoy racing especially making the things go round corners efficiantly and getting the results we all enjoy.

Our weekend and mid week jolly has evolved into training crew and setting up boats ect. Last week we were asked how much it would cost to get a regular crew up to speed and do a couple of training races. The thought of asking for money has crossed our minds before but never really came up as it has all been word of mouth and favours for mates and multiple cases of beer.

We have always focussed on the fundamentals, enhancing existing skill sets and getting sails up and down efficiently getting around the track with no clusterfucks and having a good time.The list goes on.

The end result is always positive so what is it worth?

We quoted $200 each for the day racing or just training and the owner was ok with that. It seems most of this stuff is secret men’s business between owners. Any owners out their have any feedback? We don't intend giving up our day jobs.

Cheers
Compensation for your heretofore corinthian contribution to yachting does require careful consideration as a fee for services rendered inevitably attracts some liabilities for you.

You might want to check the extent of your exposure and what the costs to indemnify yourself might be.

I would be talking to informed commercial counsel before hanging out your "Part Time" coaching shingle.

PS Your forum logo is particularly pointed - what is it?

Trovão

Super Anarchist
Compensation for your heretofore corinthian contribution to yachting does require careful consideration as a fee for services rendered inevitably attracts some liabilities for you.
You might want to check the extent of your exposure and what the costs to indemnify yourself might be.

I would be talking to informed commercial counsel before hanging out your "Part Time" coaching shingle.

PS Your forum logo is particularly pointed - what is it?
besides, it could also change your isaf status.