A Sneek Peek at the first ETNZ AC72

http://www.3news.co.nz/Sneak-peak-at-Americas-Cup-boat/tabid/317/articleID/255998/Default.aspx

Not sure if the vid will work outside of NZ, if not then im sure someone can get it onto youtube!

let the speculating (or lack of) begin!

The new Americas Cup AC-72 catamaran - as its dimensions reveal at 72 feet, or 22 metres - will be an impressive sight once it is on the water.

For now though Team New Zealand are being very secretive as they want to keep it hidden from their competitors.

But 3 News has been given a quick glimpse ahead of its launch in July.

Team New Zealand are only pulling the curtain back a little though, and this is the first the world has seen of the boats that with race for the America's Cup next year.

“There’s a secrecy rule now that there are no secrets once you leave the shed, but once we’re in the shed and while we’re in the sheds, which is for a couple more months, I can’t see any reason - we can show but we can’t tell,” says Team New Zealand managing director Grant Dalton.

But in true cup spirit, Dalton is eager to see what the opposition will put on the water.

“They’re such new boats we’re really keen to know what everyone else is doing because we’re designing completely in isolation – we have no idea what anyone else is doing,” says Dalton.

More than 100,000 man-hours have been spent designing and building the hulls, wing sail and other components of the boat, and there is more to come with a second boat due to start construction later in the year.

“We have to get this boat on the water, get it right then design boat 2 – so we have some fundamentals to check off for this boat then make sure we get the refinement right and get a really nice boat 2,” says the team’s technical director, Nick Holroyd.

Once launched, Team New Zealand will train alongside Luna Rossa, but Dalton is not keen on a proposed test regatta with defenders Oracle early next year.

“You could say they get a look at us, you get a look at them, but the one significant difference is the money they have to make significant changes to their boat if they found they were slow compared to us which we don’t have. We’re not a one-trick pony but we’ve got to get it right spot on right away,” he says.

The team will know for sure if they have achieved that when the big cat hits the water in July.

Manfred

Anarchist
North Germany
Thanks Meaner,

great comment and the link worked fine.

Really looking forward to these beasts, though I had always been an IACC fan.

Smooth sailing!

Colomba

Super Anarchist
57N
Once the AC72s are out of their sheds I will focus on enjoying them and forget all the AC34 bashing going on, they will only survive one cycle perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiwi_jon

Super Anarchist
Auckland
http://etnzblog.com/#!2012/05/ac72-arrival-now-only-a-few-weeks-away

AC72 arrival now only a few weeks away

Emirates Team New Zealand managing director Grant Dalton and head of design Nick Holroyd … happy with what they see.

Emirates Team New Zealand will take delivery of its first AC72 catamaran by the middle of next month.

The mammoth cat will then be assembled – it will arrive at the base as components – and undergo a rigorous testing regime before an official launch planned for late July.

The team started work on design and engineering in October 2010. Building started on November 9 last year. In July the sailing team – which has been heavily involved in the design process – will began the process of evaluating the yacht’s performance and learning how to sail it fast and safely.

The AC72 is a massive leap for designers, boatbuilders and sailing team. More than 50,000 design hours have gone into the project as designers and engineers pushed the boundaries in design and technology. They have designed more than 500 parts to be manufactured locally in aluminium, titanium and composites. Seven Auckland machine shops have engineered the metal components. Only deck gear and winches could be bought off the shelf.

Nothing like it has been built previously in New Zealand. Yacht composite components have been built at Cookson Boats at Glenfield, Southern Spars at Avondale, and three other boatbuilding companies. About 40,000 hours have gone into the build.

Components for the wingsail have been built at both Southern Spars and Cooksons. Wing assembly has been underway at the Emirates Team New Zealand Viaduct Harbour base for thepast two months. That’s a further 25,000 hours.

Emirates Team New Zealand managing director Grant Dalton said the race yacht will be delivered on budget and on time. “That’s remarkable considering the complexity of the design and build process and speaks volumes for the capability of the New Zealand marine industry.”

Major parts of the Italian Luna Rossa AC72 are also being built in New Zealand.

The Emirates Team New Zealand base is being prepared for the new arrival. As big as the base building is, it’s too small to house the cat. A massive structure – built from 12 40ft shipping containers with a tent roof – has been assembled on the base forecourt to house the 40m wings.

The original Team New Zealand building on Halsey street from which team defended the America’s Cup in 2000 and mounted the 2003 defence has been demolished to make way for a second structure of shipping containers and tent structure to house the platform.

The AC72’s size and speed potential has forced a re-think of the chase boat fleet. A catamaran chase boat capable of 50knots and with enough power to right the catamaran should it capsize is being built at Salthouse Boatbuilders.

It will join the fleet of monohull Protectors that have been a familiar psrt of Emirates Team New Zealand for many years.

Dalton said: “A lot of people have worked long hours for more than 18 months to get to thispoint. A lot more work has to be done as we evaluate performance and learn about the AC72 and prepare to start building the second boat.

For the time being, the AC72 will stay under wraps. “Just like us, the other teams are about the design thinking of their second boat so security is critical over the next couple of months.

“You can bet that as soon as boat hits the water in July we will be in the spotlight – from the media and other teams.”

Even with the addition of the AC72 to the fleet, the team will continue with the AC45 regatta programme (three more regattas will be held this year) and the development and training programme with the twin SL33s will continue.

Mariner

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
Don't get me wrong, I've made clear my admiration for Dalton, but sometimes there's just a whiny- ness about his statements as if he's looking for sympathy for all the hard work and manhours required to compete in this AC, as if he's pining for the ole days where they are simply on the cutting edge (rather than the bleeding edge now) and not developing the boats of the future and instaed are only building new AC mono hulls.

I wish that you heard him embrace the fact that what they are doing now is fantastic and they are doing it (and proud of the fact) with a much stricter budget. he should be proud of what they're doing in NZ.

nav

Super Anarchist
Don't get me wrong, I've made clear my admiration for Dalton, but sometimes there's just a whiny- ness about his statements as if he's looking for sympathy for all the hard work and manhours required to compete in this AC, as if he's pining for the ole days where they are simply on the cutting edge (rather than the bleeding edge now) and not developing the boats of the future and instaed are only building new AC mono hulls.

I wish that you heard him embrace the fact that what they are doing now is fantastic and they are doing it (and proud of the fact) with a much stricter budget. he should be proud of what they're doing in NZ.
Cultural differences mate - embrace them!

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
not a boastful country

those who say

"we are going to go out there and kick ass!"

look like fools after their first failure

like that truck camper

thank god no one was boasting how fast that would be

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland

Typically presumptuous yank wank...and wide of the mark, as usual!

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ

"just a whiny-ness"

Look in the mirror, mate.

Dalts is pragmatic, cautious and cagey perhaps but he knows what his country demands of him and he keeps his statements contained.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Was going to reply, but its clear you are a bigot. Its cool, do your thing. :rolleyes:

Having said all that, I didn't find Dalts to be whiney. Good interview actually, and his comments about not wanting to let OR know to much about his boat is dead on, to a point. I would have to think if Dalts need some extra scratch to level the competitive playing field with OR that his Italian Brother from another Mother would oblige. After all, they are all thats left to save the Cup from the evil Emperor Uncle Larry and his side kick Darth Coutts. :lol:

WetHog :ph34r:

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Was going to reply, but its clear you are a bigot. Its cool, do your thing. :rolleyes:

Having said all that, I didn't find Dalts to be whiney. Good interview actually, and his comments about not wanting to let OR know to much about his boat is dead on, to a point. I would have to think if Dalts need some extra scratch to level the competitive playing field with OR that his Italian Brother from another Mother would oblige. After all, they are all thats left to save the Cup from the evil Emperor Uncle Larry and his side kick Darth Coutts. :lol:

...another typically yank wank. Next favourite toss-out from you toss-pots? "HATERS"...you are so predictable!!

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
Maybe it has something to do with TK's Tani-waaaaahhh.........................

(sorry, I had to go there once)

Dalt's has his part to play, and he plays it well: 'boo hoo, we're the underdogs'.

Until raceday, and then they are usually ready.

I don't buy it, GD is too cagey. One to always keep an eye on.

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
He should be proud of what they're doing in NZ.
He is proud!

But knows what it means to be in a small country where resources must be used with great care.

It is not whiny.

Just a realistic assessment of the task at hand.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA

...another typically yank wank. Next favourite toss-out from you toss-pots? "HATERS"...you are so predictable!!
A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own or intolerant of people of different political views, ethnicity, race, class, religion, profession, sexuality or gender.

Seems to describe you very well, Indiho. :lol:

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
He is proud!

But knows what it means to be in a small country where resources must be used with great care.

It is not whiny.

Just a realistic assessment of the task at hand.
Yeah, thats how I viewed his interview as well. Frank and straight forward. Makes me wish a team from USA could follow Dalts, and ETNZ's, lead. No bullshit and no gimmicks.

Te Kooti

Super Anarchist
Yeah, thats how I viewed his interview as well. Frank and straight forward. Makes me wish a team from USA could follow Dalts, and ETNZ's, lead. No bullshit and no gimmicks.

In my view, Grant is the real-deal kiwi. He has an intuitive grasp of what NZ is all about.

More so than Peter Blake (half his heart was in the UK).

Also, although Grant has a justifiable reputation as a rough-tough kiwi bloke, he is actually very sensitive to the public mood.

He knows kiwis will not stand for bragging and premature celebration.

He is dependent on public support and greatly appreciates fan loyalty.

When they won the LVC in Valencia (2007) and he landed on the prize giving barge, when given the microphone the first thing he said was "I want to thank our supporters - here and at home!"

Besides, what other syndicate has a youth sailing partnership with their local indigenous people? (in NZ that means Maori).

For me (and many others) that counts for a lot.

More than that! It is fantastic.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland

A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own or intolerant of people of different political views, ethnicity, race, class, religion, profession, sexuality or gender.

Seems to describe you very well, Indiho. :lol:
You left out IQ....which qualifies you to go on the list.