AC36 CLASS RULE

nav

Super Anarchist
That is not exactly what I said! :lol:

anyway.....

27.8 Crew shall remain entirely aft of a plane 9.0 m forward of TRP except briefly to cross the boat, handle sails
or resolve unforeseen issues.
27.9 Any crew that go forward of a plane 11.0 m forward of TRP may only do so as permitted by Rule 27.8, and
must be tethered to the hull by a harness and safety line that complies with ISO 12401, the safety line
being no longer than 2 m.
27.10 No part of the crew shall be in a sustained position outside an extrusion of the perimeter line perpendicular
to MWP.

and while I'm at it..

28.3 The guest racer shall remain entirely behind a line 2.0 m forward of TRP.
28.4 The Regatta Director may require the guest racer to be tethered to the yacht.

and another part of that picture...

11.12 Lines parallel to TRP, at least 50 mm wide and of a colour contrasting to the deck shall be marked across
the deck such that their aft edges are no more than:
(a) 2.00 m forward of TRP;
(b) 9.00 m forward of TRP; and
(c) 11.00 m forward of TRP.

.....lines more accurately described than the zones they delineate :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
I am wondering if the boat was originally a 75 ft,  reduced as a 68 ft for cost and safety reasons,  basically doing like competitors did during last AC, going from 62 (real length) down to 50 :)

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I am wondering if the boat was originally a 75 ft  reduced as a 68 ft for cost and safety reasons,  basically doing like competitors did at last AC, going from 62 (real length) down to 50 :)
The French guys figured out the 68 months ago, even from just the concept video. So it very likely hasn’t changed. Yet.

COR/D can change anything they want until June 29, all by themselves.  They could make a 62’ LWL with a 13’ bow sprit and still call it a JC75. They could even plan to do any number of changes, and then suddenly spring it on everyone else at the last minute. But they won’t, for the AC-historic hell they’d take to whatever reputation they still have, lol.

nav

Super Anarchist
^  oh oh, let me grab my tinfoil hat

......and you wanna talk reputations! Seriously? YCMTSU :lol:

Oops, yes you said overall, LOA. But since the DOG refers to WL, this boat is not named appropriately DOG-wise.

You were on a crusade to belittle the AC50 as an AC49 despite it being just over 49’ on the waterline
. For the maintenance of any integrity a subsequently losing crusade to label this as a JC69 would appropriate... 

By this measure the AC72’s would have been named AC82’s (including bow sprit) and the AC50’s named AC58’s (?).  Those official Class names were the more Deed-legit.
It's an MC boat - so as long as it falls somewhere within the range laid down in the DOG (44-90ft LWL- for a single mast) you can measure and name it how you like

The last AC had no size designator in the Class Rule, well it did in the first IIRC - 62, but they didn't want to make that mistake again so left it out completely for their 'new' rule.

The hulls were 15m long OA, not 49’ on the waterline

I agree with you about the bowsprits, being included/not included

If you insist on an accurate name for this one based on the class rule and the length of the hulls then it will have to be the AC20.600 - 20.700m  .. :D ... a bit clumsy!

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I agree with you about the bowsprits, being included/not included

If you insist on an accurate name for this one based on the rule and the length of the hulls it will have to be AC20.600 - 20.700m        a bit clumsy! :D
Agreed, but: Either extent is a touch over 68’ and a short of 69’ right? Too lazy, on a phone.

Anyway, no biggy except for having fun poking you in the ribs for the AC49-belittling crusade you were on. You Koolaid drinker, you.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
BTW, do we have the width between the two lizard feet ?
Max width between the middle toes of each foot when toes are extended? Yes, the max is in there, the amount you can curl them too.

Strangely, you also are allowed two separate foil feet on each side of the end of your foil arms. The boat will be ‘wild.’ Weird to have your support feet at the end of your arms; it’s pretty dang innovative. 

Fireball

Anarchist
One of the big challenges is how to specify a rule for a type of boat that has never be tried before. There's no hard data on which to base a rule.

The workaround in the AC75 rule is make key components "supplied" and to say that the details will be given at a future date that is yet TBA (see rule 33). Note that none of the dates in the table in rule 33 have been announced - they are all missing.

This 'kicks the can down the road', but eventually these components need to be (1) specified in detail, (2) they need to be supplied , and (3) they need to work.

The problem is (3) - they need to work - there's no way to know whether this will ever happen or not.

I would hate to be a designer working on an AC75. There's going to be a huge amount of guesswork that leads to disastrous mistakes.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Seems to me the boat’s structure will be heavily designed around the supplied foil canter, where a great deal of the force is. A little like how the wings of a commercial jet airplane determine a lot else about how that jet gets designed, built and balanced.

barfy

Super Anarchist
14.2 Each foil shall comprise two foil flaps, one lying entirely on one side of the foil wing symmetry plane, and
one lying entirely on the other side of the foil wing symmetry plane.

Ailerons and Flaps

barfy

Super Anarchist
14.8 At any cross-section and all foil flap rotation angles, when projected on to the foil wing projection plane,
the length of a foil flap must not be greater than 50% of the chord length.

The flaps are going to be substantial. Interesting times, finally moveable trim surfaces; #1 on my x-mas list for this foil fest.

Expect quantum leaps in performance.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
Max width between the middle toes of each foot when toes are extended? Yes, the max is in there,

The boat will be ‘wild.’ Weird to have your support feet at the end of your arms; it’s pretty dang innovative. 
Do you know where we can find the figure ? It would be interesting to compare with the AC50.

Yes, the boat will wild, can't wait to see it flying.

despacio avenue

Anarchist
Alaska
Question from AC newbie who has followed the AC for years but not in great technical detail: I have read the new Class Rule. What does "Supplied" mean? i.e. who "supplies" and who pays for the items "supplied"?

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
[SIZE=10pt]"19.20  The [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]mainsail [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]shall be lowered to the [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]deck [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]without assistance from crew aloft. This should not prevent crew going aloft to resolve occasional issues [/SIZE]"

Define "occasional" :D  This will make the infamous Alinghi halyard lock / headboard episode seem innocuous by comparison. Imagine all the control wires going up to the various batten levels and the potential for snagging is huge.

Do you think the top control arm will have to be lowered too?