AC36 CLASS RULE

RobG

Super Anarchist
Sounds like *you* need to do the crying then mate :)
No tears here, as long as the challengers know the rules up front it's not for met to complain on their behalf. 

I just think the restrictions are unnecessary and may throttle innovation. If two boat testing isn't worth it, there's no need to ban it. Teams will spend whatever funds they can talk sponsors into coughing up, and presumably will spend it where they think they'll get the best return. It seems illogical for a rule to limit physical but not virtual assets, and to prescribe a key aspect of a team's development methodology.

Just because teams are doing better now with simulation and one boat than they were with legacy two boat development methodologies doesn't mean there isn't a better two boat methodology (say with simulation and real-time learning) that delivers even better results in less time and maybe lower overall cost. That option is simply ruled out. There may be all sorts of benefits as spinoffs that will never be discovered (or not) because that path wasn't allowed to be followed.

BTW, the boats don't need to be identical, there just needs to be sufficient data on each to be able to calibrate one against the other (like PHRF on steroids). ;-)

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
They can save heaps of money if they do the racing with the simulators, and with the quality of today's graphics we can all watch and not know that we are not watching the real thing, might even fool some NZers, if they do not look out the window. No venue issues with NZ govt either. Tough on the unemployed sailors though.

Sorry I find it hard to take all this specualtion seriously, Its like 3 years of cold war before the real event starts. Hopefully its more interesting in 3 years time.

Last edited by a moderator:

animeproblem

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Yea gods! not cheerful at all! & the twit has fired everyone that might try to temper his enthusiasm for war! get this idiot impeached & far from the button!

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
In the 60s they made a movie about a nuclear war, the last place on earth with life was Melbourne, Seemed appropriate at the time. If they remake it now it would have to be somewhere even more remote, like Auckland, so analogy is not completely unreal. Sorry to upset those on edge about Mr T. We feel maybe a bit safer in the Sth Hemishere.

GBH

Anarchist
mostly Oz
They can save heaps of money if they do the racing with the simulators, and with the quality of today's graphics we can all watch and not know that we are not watching the real thing, might even fool some NZers, if they do not look out the window. No venue issues with NZ govt either. Tough on the unemployed sailors though.
You certainly don't save money on simulators, if they are any good then cheap they are not.   However, you can save time, which is the most valuable commodity in any of these sort of campaigns, F1 or AC or keeping type current in the aviation world.

As ever though, garbage in and garbage out, so simulators also need to be checked against the real world or you can end up chasing down the wrong design paths.  Red Bull had that last year with their aero correlations in F1.  Could easily happen in the AC.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Class Rules can be hard to decipher in detail but the limits on numbers of soft wings, rudders and foils will be interesting. Given that there are at least 4 well-funded teams and this is a new Class I hope it’s not too, too restrictive.

was one of oracles ac72's much faster than the other in ac34?

i think that most of the development will be in internals, not structural components like hulls

i think that the daggerboard position was a little different between the two oracle 72's but not a whole lot in it i didn't think at the time
Boat 1 had the daggerboard ahead of the forward beam and was a little faster upwind, but wasn't as stable, which made it harder to do the flying gybe.  Boat 2 had the beam moved forward and the daggerboard moved behind the beam - we called it the leap frog change.  This made the boat more stable in the vertical plane when flying, but created some lee helm that hurt upwind performance.  The changes to wing trim during the regatta alleviated the lee helm and improved the upwind performance.  

G

I cant believe it,

Dont say it but this thread has not had a single post by he who must not be named lest we get tipped up

I am so tempted to say it

Brutal

Anarchist
Ashburn, VA
f5fca7f15ec19b580af5b98279301ecc--future-travel-swimming-pigs.jpg

Updated renderings of the AC75 class...

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Must be that small Cay near Great Exuma Island in the Bahamas, have seen pigs swimming out there who look just like that - Slow :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
At https://www.sail-world.com/news/203256/Americas-Cup-Hall-of-Fame-to-induct-Ken-McAlpine

America's Cup Hall of Fame to induct Ken McAlpine in 2018

Ken McAlpine has been at the heart of the competition for the America's Cup for over 30 years, witnessing the America's Cup evolve from the 12-Metre Class through the America's Cup Class to the foiling catamarans of the 35th America's Cup Match. During this period, he measured more America's Cup yachts than any other person in the history of the Cup. In this role, he demonstrated an intimate knowledge of the class rules; and, he also assisted in the development of the 12-Metre Class rule and the AC Class rule.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
At https://www.sail-world.com/news/203256/Americas-Cup-Hall-of-Fame-to-induct-Ken-McAlpine

America's Cup Hall of Fame to induct Ken McAlpine in 2018

Ken McAlpine has been at the heart of the competition for the America's Cup for over 30 years, witnessing the America's Cup evolve from the 12-Metre Class through the America's Cup Class to the foiling catamarans of the 35th America's Cup Match. During this period, he measured more America's Cup yachts than any other person in the history of the Cup. In this role, he demonstrated an intimate knowledge of the class rules; and, he also assisted in the development of the 12-Metre Class rule and the AC Class rule.
Long overdue.

surfsailor

Super Anarchist
Maui
random said:
So the balance of the boat had to be determined this way?  Really?

So much for design and simulation.
I’m guessing the daggerboard position on boat one was already a done deal when they made the call to go to 100% foiling.

I would also note that it was ORs simulation program that completely missed the lower faster upwind angles that ETNZ was already using at the beginning of the regatta  - and that this software had to be tweaked to even consider angles that low. But that was 6 plus years ago, which is a long time in IT world. The AC 50s were lightyears more advanced - seamless foiling tacks, for fucks sake! - and after that campaign, the programs will be supercharged - think of the data they have now.