AC36 CLASS RULE

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
and after that campaign, the programs will be supercharged - think of the data they have now.
True! Given enough time and millions more dollars they might be able to match the performance of ETNZ! Over a year later and with no one watching a contest of less significance than the Plantation Island lunchtime hermit crab race ;-)

surfsailor

Super Anarchist
Maui
I’m sure - if AC50s are happening -  they’ll match the performance of ETNZ right out of the box, and do it without fly-by-wire and Xbox wing control.

Although I could be wrong about the latter - as another poster noted, keeping those components and refining them would make the class more accessible. OR certainly have the data at this point to develop and implement IT fairly quickly - it would probably take them less than 6 months to get a system operational.

Last edited by a moderator:

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
I’m sure - if AC50s are happening -  they’ll match the performance of ETNZ right out of the box, and do it without fly-by-wire and Xbox wing control.

Although I could be wrong about the latter - as another poster noted, keeping those components and refining them would make the class more accessible. OR certainly have the data at this point to develop and implement IT fairly quickly - it would probably take them less than 6 months to get a system operational.
Oracle suck at IT innovation... seriously... I know it sounds like an oxymoron but a big shitty enterprise database company, but innovation does not live there AT ALL...

https://www.wired.com/insights/2014/12/understanding-the-innovators-dilemma/

Witness the result of being beaten in simulation tech by a bunch of whingey, whiney, sheep shagging, salty dogs

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
With more flexible rules, I would bet 10% better performance than TNZ right out of the box, and more in the following months.

Kiwing

Super Anarchist
Bay of Islands
^

We never saw ETNZ's flat out mode they still had things up their sleeve.  Artemis might have pushed them further if......

They could have wasted OR (or for that matter Artemis) by forcing them into a tacking duel.  Both would have run out of oil.  ETNZ could produce it almost as fast as they used it, they had to because they only had 1 reservoir tank.  We only saw one "no look" tack.

So an OR50 will never match ETNZ's AC50 IMHO.

surfsailor

Super Anarchist
Maui
Oracle suck at IT innovation... seriously... I know it sounds like an oxymoron but a big shitty enterprise database company, but innovation does not live there AT ALL...

https://www.wired.com/insights/2014/12/understanding-the-innovators-dilemma/

Witness the result of being beaten in simulation tech by a bunch of whingey, whiney, sheep shagging, salty dogs
Team ETNZ beat them, not the whingers on this forum - besides, according to the whingers, OR had this innovative data-intensive tech in 2013!

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

surfsailor

Super Anarchist
Maui
^

We never saw ETNZ's flat out mode they still had things up their sleeve.  Artemis might have pushed them further if......

They could have wasted OR (or for that matter Artemis) by forcing them into a tacking duel.  Both would have run out of oil.  ETNZ could produce it almost as fast as they used it, they had to because they only had 1 reservoir tank.  We only saw one "no look" tack.

True - I doubt ANY boat will EVER beat the imaginary polars in your head. But if the AC50s come to pass, we'll be able to compare the reality-based polars. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
True - I doubt ANY boat will EVER beat the imaginary polars in your head. But if the AC50s come to pass, we'll be able to compare the reality-based polars. 

We’ll be able to compare them also to the JC75’s, which could be fun.

RobG

Super Anarchist
There you go, dragging this thing kicking and screaming back on topic…  :angry:

The target for the AC75s must be continuous foiling, anything less will be a large backward step. Deathly silence on progress though…

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
At https://www.sail-world.com/news/203256/Americas-Cup-Hall-of-Fame-to-induct-Ken-McAlpine

America's Cup Hall of Fame to induct Ken McAlpine in 2018

Ken McAlpine has been at the heart of the competition for the America's Cup for over 30 years, witnessing the America's Cup evolve from the 12-Metre Class through the America's Cup Class to the foiling catamarans of the 35th America's Cup Match. During this period, he measured more America's Cup yachts than any other person in the history of the Cup. In this role, he demonstrated an intimate knowledge of the class rules; and, he also assisted in the development of the 12-Metre Class rule and the AC Class rule.
A real gentleman.  Well deserved.

Terry Hollis

Super Anarchist
^

If the conversion of the AC50's means they will have electric motors driving the hydraulics there will be nothing to prevent an OR50 matching ETNZ's version of the AC50.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
^

You are probably right to say that ETNZ did not show up everyting they had, but a new AC50 rule could allow flaps on the foil and rudder foil and perhaps kind of wand. So, no need of lots of hydro, no need of complicated automated control with a screen and a dot, and .... a cheaper, faster, easier to sail, more versatile boat.

Kiwing

Super Anarchist
Bay of Islands
^

But what about the wing control, which was at least half of ETNZ's superiority.  They showed better VMG most of the time, and much better VMG for short bursts, but once again only enough to do what they had to.  IMHO.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
You are probably right to say that ETNZ did not show up everyting they had, but a new AC50 rule could allow flaps on the foil and rudder foil and perhaps kind of wand. So, no need of lots of hydro, no need of complicated automated control with a screen and a dot, and .... a cheaper, faster, easier to sail, more versatile boat.
Doesn't the AC75 allow all that?

Latest posts