AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

So this could be a very convenient AC. Tune in at the three min mark watch the start , watch two more min , find something else to do for 45 min and then come back and repeat. Hell even the commentators agree with me , how many times are they going to talk about the non existent passing ?
Jesus, some people just can't be satisfied. This is already looking to be the most even match of the foiling era - perhaps ever.

The only way you're going to get even boats with top sailors "passing" is on a shifty, fluky course - and the organisers have even provided those.  If you're going to whinge about anything, whinge about the Europeans and Americans not getting hold of Covid when they had the chance - because that's the reason the shifty courses aren't being used.

Pull your head in.

trt131

Super Anarchist
Which is what I just said. LR needs to force Team NZ into bad positions. Both boats got an even start in race 1 and the Kiwis simply overpowered them and took off. Conversely LR got the best of the start in race 2 and managed the course well to keep the Kiwis behind them. Race 1 saw the Kiwis extend and race 2 saw them claw a big lead back. 
Clarkey, you obviously have not had much to do with match racing.  The winning margin is not important, its win or lose.  In race one it was not possible for LR to pass in the last leg so they buttoned off.  Similarly in race 2 LR knew TNZ could not pass in the last half of the last leg so they let TNZ go to the favoured right side whilst LR went for the lay-line to the finish.  Its not a handicap race so the margin of the win is irrelevant.

southseasbill

Super Anarchist
I saw a claim that ETNZ were sailing with damage to one of their foil flaps. Anything confirming this?

Anyway tomorrow looks to be a drift fest going by the forecast. Maybe code zero for the first time in a race, or no races at all.

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Which is what I just said. LR needs to force Team NZ into bad positions. Both boats got an even start in race 1 and the Kiwis simply overpowered them and took off. Conversely LR got the best of the start in race 2 and managed the course well to keep the Kiwis behind them. Race 1 saw the Kiwis extend and race 2 saw them claw a big lead back. 
Please, try to be realistic about what happen.

In Race 1, LR tuned late to the starting line and NZ goat a jump on them since they were going faster at that time.  Jimmy went for broke trying to get a penalty, missed and they hung onto NZ hip until the last leg.  On the last leg, LR gambled in hopes of finding a wind shift and lost ground on NZ.  In Race 2, LR got the lead at the start and continued to slowly pull away on each leg until they let NZ split.  NZ got some wind shifts and closed a good portion of the gap.    Go back and rewatch the races to see what happen.

Latest posts