AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Predictwind observations say 1.8 Knots top right of the course and 4 knots at Rangit Island

Forecasts say not enough wind to race today but PW has said that nearly everyday and we've had racing. So we'll have to wait to see what ends up on the course?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Advocate

Super Anarchist

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
Truth is that most people can't afford a boat and then not everyone who can actually wants one
The spectator fleet was impressive though. Mainly stink boats, but plenty of big, flash, gin palaces. With the high price of fuel, I wonder how many are mariner posers, and how many actually put decent miles on their boats?

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley

accnick

Super Anarchist
and Ducati................ making mechanics out of motorcyclists since 1947, or Alfa romeo........ turning motorists into mechanics and cunning linquists since forever
I had a Ducati Sebring 350 when I was in college back in the 1960s. It was very light, and pretty quick for its small single-cylinder engine. It certainly made a mechanic out of me. Finding parts was a bitch. I used to drive from Providence to a mechanic in Cambridge for parts and advice.

Unfortunately, both the bike and my body came off second-best in an encounter with a brick wall. My helmet split in half, but at least it wasn't my head.

That was the first time I had injuries that were never going to heal. I still feel them more than 50 years later.

Fortunately, I had that accident on the way to pick up the girl who became my first wife, not after I picked her up. Needless to say, I was a bit late, and she never got to ride on that bike.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
"Any day you can go out and have a shot at winning an America's Cup race, that's not that bad a day!"

That's a great quote from Jimmy!
Nothing against PB, who I have enormous admiration for too, but yes: I had the same reaction to that video, for this and other ways JS spoke in that interview. He is very-very bright and confident, charisma-wise, still. I doubt either helm will have a pressure meltdown but am convinced that if either does, it will not be JS! 

Last edited by a moderator:

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
"Any day you can go out and have a shot at winning an America's Cup race, that's not that bad a day!"

That's a great quote from Jimmy!
Spithill is a DUD. It will be the greatest joy for me seeing Burling put him out of AC Racing for good. I expect the Nationality Requirement to go up once ETNZ finishes off the Italians in the next 2 - 3 Days. No more shopping around for him & Barker.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Hot enough for the thermal and the sea breeze to kick in this afternoon, hopefully. South east breeze hopefully will back to the east and maybe north east.

Another great day on the gulf. Go, ETNZ.

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 1.23.29 PM.png

Interesting how in 24 hours these boats suddenly have grown huge wind shadows. Previous common knowledge was the wind shadows so narrow as to be non existent, or easy to dodge. Has anyone seen this proven to be significant? Max and Co, thoughts? 

Actual boat speed seems to only fall off a fraction in the shadow, and upwind boat behind seems rushed into tacking away to a short side. This is where the losses happen, with 2 extra down speed manoeuvres, possibly getting knocked. If they were "gassed" for 2 minutes on a tack then wait til the lead boat hits boundary, they will have clear air for a whole board, with options ahead. 

Fuck I'm good. 

Kiwing

Super Anarchist
Bay of Islands
on video you can _clearly_ see that they sail into a hole, with several kts less wind than ETNZ.

the "fuck up" was not seeing the hole - which I think would have been tough to do given all that's going on.

In the end, i think it's mostly bad luck
Was the hole due to ETNZ's "GAS"  ?  could be?

Is that why Pete stays upwind?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Interesting how in 24 hours these boats suddenly have grown huge wind shadows. Previous common knowledge was the wind shadows so narrow as to be non existent, or easy to dodge. Has anyone seen this proven to be significant? Max and Co, thoughts? 

Actual boat speed seems to only fall off a fraction in the shadow, and upwind boat behind seems rushed into tacking away to a short side. This is where the losses happen, with 2 extra down speed manoeuvres, possibly getting knocked. If they were "gassed" for 2 minutes on a tack then wait til the lead boat hits boundary, they will have clear air for a whole board, with options ahead. 

Fuck I'm good. 
Mozzy did a reasonably great job at explaining wind shadows, in these conditions. There’s a remarkably good audio where Peter Lester speaks about it too, at here, audio: https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/sunday/audio/2018787438/america-s-cup-preview-with-peter-lester