AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
Under the circumstances, you might think you would choose the configuration that gave the best performance over the widest range of conditions.  Both teams have smart people who know what that answer is.
Or the median of the wind range given that various configurations slew the performance orientation to a wind range you may not get.

They asked for one last time as well, which is what kicked off the controversy - the NZ government expressed it's concern with racing even in level 2 (which proved to be correct given what we saw on the final weekend with packed boats with zero social distancing) hence the proposal concept was floated.  LR said no and the rest is history - I understand the OTT "honour" barb was directed at LR's refusal to accommodate the government's request and insist on sticking to the race schedule.  And a race is a race, it doesn't matter whether a series has started or not, every race is worth 1 point and equally important. 
Given further cases, and what the DG of health and PM would have witnessed in the PC, I would be a little surprised if exemptions are granted. They are under big pressure to contain this outbreak and sports are secondary.  Last week many people were still at the viaduct even with the cup village closed, hundreds of boats out, and mass celebrations with poor social distancing evident. Its not a football match in a stadium where 22 players and a ref are involved and the doors can be closed.  

ACE could cancel this AC cycle and set a new schedule in April if need be by using   Force majeure  clause. An April event will give both teams a chance to improve their boats and at same time nullify the challengers advantage of being match fit battle hardened by racing two weeks after Prada Cup.
Well that sounds fair... Lol there'll be a magnitude 4 quake from all the LR fans shaking their fists. I wouldn't care, happens when it happens. 

accnick

Super Anarchist
ACE could cancel this AC cycle and set a new schedule in April if need be by using   Force majeure  clause. An April event will give both teams a chance to improve their boats and at same time nullify the challengers advantage of being match fit battle hardened by racing two weeks after Prada Cup.
There is no force majeure clause in the Protocol.

Well that sounds fair... Lol there'll be a magnitude 4 quake from all the LR fans shaking their fists. I wouldn't care, happens when it happens. 
Sorry may bad I meant the downside would be to  nullify the challengers advantage of being match fit battle hardened by racing two weeks after Prada Cup.

Every AC cup cycle the challenger has enjoyed this advantage now nullified by unfortunate events 

Last edited by a moderator:

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
The government can, not ACE. ACE is bound to follow government directions and, if there are not such impediments, the signed protocol and agreements. Unless of course there is a new agreement between the parts.
Respect dude for realizing the reality of the situation, the NZ govt controls everything any existing contracts are meaningless. 

It’s not just AC racing being affected. Thousand and thousand of contracts between private parties are being voided.  Companies in Auckland can’t have staff working outside Auckland even if there contracts state that they should. Certain deliveries of goods are voided because can’t travel out  of Auckland because of  lockdown. You can’t sue these companies for non delivery?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
I think the damages could easily be projected for the purposes of the issue and be avoided legally with the clause. Not a lawyer though.
Damages who will have legal jurisdiction over this. ?

NYS or NZ courts ?

I think if your ever going to use Force Majeure this is the situation 

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
Don't hold your breath waiting for trickle down tech, though.
Although I read that Ben Ainslie didn't think the twin skin sail is much better than a single skin, I think it will trickle down through the racing fleets in due course. Contrary to BA, one of the designers (I think) gave his opinion that the twin skin is almost as efficient as the wing sail, and there's also been comment that the AC75 can sail at a better VMG/TWS than the AC50 upwind. Don't know how accurate these remarks are though.

BTW, there was a post about a large yacht that has been designed using the same style of canting foils! Possibly a novelty though?

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Although I read that Ben Ainslie didn't think the twin skin sail is much better than a single skin, I think it will trickle down through the racing fleets in due course. Contrary to BA, one of the designers (I think) gave his opinion that the twin skin is almost as efficient as the wing sail, and there's also been comment that the AC75 can sail at a better VMG/TWS than the AC50 upwind. Don't know how accurate these remarks are though.

BTW, there was a post about a large yacht that has been designed using the same style of canting foils! Possibly a novelty though?
Being a world class skipper doesn’t make one a aerodynamic expert