AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
Ben clearly doesn’t like the handbags....might be due to LR using every legal trick in the book. 
What about Ben's last minute protest about the handy work around the jib winch by the handbags. Seemed a bit unnecessary, even desperate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not very AC PC for the early eliminated challenger not helping the challenger through to the Match. I guess AM are all packed up so no use to LR either. 

Also not very fair that ETNZ were on the race course today doing laps before and after the Prada Cup racing.

They now have all the data to compare with LR data in the same wind, wave and tide conditions. Their data is not available to LR. I guess that is the privilege and benefit of being the Cup holder. 
Yes Ben sounded miffed at the suggestion. I was surprised ETNZ allowed on course. Must be in the protocol. I guess they have to run tests on all the connectivity. They're plugged in to race course data and media, last chance before the match maybe. 

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
Yes Ben sounded miffed at the suggestion. I was surprised ETNZ allowed on course. Must be in the protocol. I guess they have to run tests on all the connectivity. They're plugged in to race course data and media, last chance before the match maybe. 
ETNZ will have very accurate data now how they would go against the Italians. They no doubt sailed to the same track of LR on race 5 or six, tack by tack, mark roundings and gybe by gybe to the finish. They will be able to check VMG, tacking angles ect and know exactly where they stand.

I would have hoped that the Protocol would have prevented this (one to remember for the COR challengers to write into the rules next time around). Though I guess pretty hard to police.

P.S.  The "original" AC36 Match thread. Though not sure of the forum protocol! 

Last edited by a moderator:

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
Odds now hardening on the Match with 1.57 ETNZ vs 2.30 Prada.

Still thinking an excuse to print money.

Screenshot_20210221-182946_Chrome.jpg

strider470

Super Anarchist
Congratulations strider470 I hope you are enjoying the success your team deservingly earned. They were the better  boat and team and rightly won their  spot in the AC final. 
Thanks mate, apart from severe sleep deprivation I'm really really happy! :D Now we will try our best to be strong opponents for NZ.

ETNZ will have very accurate data now how they would go against the Italians. They no doubt sailed to the same track of LR on race 5 or six, tack by tack, mark roundings and gybe by gybe to the finish. They will be able to check VMG, tacking angles ect and know exactly where they stand.

I would have hoped that the Protocol would have prevented this (one to remember for the COR challengers to write into the rules next time around). Though I guess pretty hard to police.

P.S.  The "original" AC36 Match thread. Though not sure of the forum protocol! 
I know this is not quite as data rich, but I have to assume that there was an LRPP chase boat running with ETNZ for all of their recon sails. Yes, ETNZ could sandbag, though I would think they would at least part of the time want test their best speed against LR telemetry. Summary: I'd be shocked if LR doesn't have a good sense of what they are up against, what the expected delta looks like.

Looking at my own expectations and the consensus of various threads here, I think the most surprising outcome of the series would be a close fight. I hope I'm wrong, but examining that hope closely makes me feel like a complete eedjit - a competition built on big development budgets coupled with minimal pre-match contact between the challenger and defender seems like a formula purpose-built to produce blowout series. We really shouldn't expect anything else/different/better UNTIL the quality of entertainment assumes a larger importance in the whole show. 

I think most agree that having a real bleeding-edge competition pushing the boundaries on what is possible in sailing is a good thing. F1 has been used as an analogue, and though there are similarities, the differences are vast. Formula 1: Many teams, YEARLY iteration with lots and lots of races to measure your progress against others. AC: Well, just about the inverse of all of that.

I guess this leaves us all making private decisions to what degree it makes sense to pay attention/care about this competition. The dumbest this to care is for the visibility of the sport on the back of AC outside of the host harbor footprint and the ripples in the challenger country doing well. Just go and see where in your favorite non-sailing newspaper/online news outlet Prada cup reporting ranks. Hard to find, no?

So what do we as a community want here, since we can't have both - good close racing or the sight of two wicked-fast, mind-bending boats sailing in increasingly loose formation on the same six square miles of the ocean? 

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
I hope that BOTH sides can resist petty squabbles and rancour during the AC match. The squabble from last Wednesday did no one any favours. Let’s leave the competition to the boats and not the lawyers 

Not likely to happen :(  but one can dream 

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Strider, you've done a splendid job of, almost single handedly, resisting the Anglo-Saxon barbarians of SAAC and seeing off the Yanks and Brits.

Get some sleep! You'll need all your strength to combat the Kiwi hordes. :eek:
Diplomacy is not a kiwi attribute, the poor guy is going to need thick skin 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Summary: I'd be shocked if LR doesn't have a good sense of what they are up against, what the expected delta looks like.
The richness of the data streams nowadays is a goldmine, ETNZ will know to a high degree of certainty how well LR performed. And as @erdb has demonstrated for us here, ETNZ can also see details as ‘intimate’ to sailing techniques as foil cant settings and movement timings. 

There is less reason to ‘get a read’ on your opponent by matching up on the water in these times, than there was in AC32 Valencia.