AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

erdb

Anarchist
My interpretation of his stats is that ETNZ are faster across the range.  However how does he factor in the unknown of what mode the boats are being asked to sail?  Only those onboard know that.

We mere mortals go "Ok let's pinch a bit here" as we look a third of the way up the course doing 8-12 knots boat speed.  These dudes are thinking about their position two laps ahead doing 40 knots!
I agree, they are faster in almost every condition and point of sail. Everything has to go right for LR to stay in front, and they did an excellent good job throughout the race except for that one shift. However, even if they defended that, ETNZ may have passed them downwind anyway.

I just watched the onboard videos from each boat. I feel sorry for Bruni. You can hear (I think Tuke) on the other boat saying we got lucky here. They had know idea it's gonna work out for them.

erdb

Anarchist
Go back and watch a replay of Virtual Eye.  ETNZ were gaining on LR prior to when LR tacked.  LR tacked still losing ground.  Then ETNZ tacked but still kept gaining cutting the gap down to less than 30m.  They then lost some ground setting themselves up for the boundary tack and in 8 seconds went from 70m behind to 25m in front.

ETNZ were the tail wagging the dog through most of that period of the race.
A key step was ETNZ figuring out after the 2nd day how to tack better than LR. They had a faster boat, but couldn't make a pass while losing in the tacks. Now they can wag their tails all over the place  :D .

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
You can hear (I think Tuke) on the other boat saying we got lucky here. They had know idea it's gonna work out for them.
Yep! Heard it too.

It’s not looking likely for any racing today but whenever it gets back on, a 6-3 lead is gonna be very tough to overcome..

erdb

Anarchist
Yep! Heard it too.

It’s not looking likely for any racing today but whenever it gets back on, a 6-3 lead is gonna be very tough to overcome..
Shit I just checked the forecast. Yesterday it seemed we're going to have a nice breeze today. What happened? Anyway, it's better if they don't race today and sail in a good breeze tomorrow. 

barfy

Super Anarchist
massiveGainsHere.jpeg

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
I totally disagree. If Luna Rossa won 3 races so far, and almost other 2 that instead they lost by a hair, it was exactly for their good match racing tactics, strategy and good starts. Or do you think they did it because they have a faster boat? Or were they lucky by any means?
If today the score were 5 - 4 instead of 3 - 6 for LR because of those two races, nobody could say that the score was not deserved. But they did one error in rounding the mark in a race (ETNZ did the very same error of falling off the foils but they were in the middle of the race course where it was more windy and could recover in half the time, we are talking of minutes), and a single wrong call in the other and we are here 3 - 6.

In the last race for instance they made only one error if you want to call that so. It was more a choice, that in the end went wrong. ETNZ has been totally passive for a good part of the race and in particular in the key moment: they went to the right only because LR chose to put them there because Bruni saw less wind in that direction. Would you say that this was a smart decision from Peter Burling? They took what they were forced to take, and it was good. With these boats, finding pressure plays a huge part in gaining or losing, especially if you are not on the faster boat. That's something you can easily see on the virtual eye, but the crews can only guess information watching the water and using their instinct while sailing at a crazy speed.

Considering the speed advantage of TR, the  Kiwi crew is actually tactically under performing, while on the boat handling part they are really showing a fantastic performance.
You can make a pile of steaming shit apetising...

Kate short for Bob

Super Anarchist
Yep! Heard it too.

Again I'm not what feed you are listening to.  But you can definitely hear on ETNZ someone making the call that there was more pressure out to the right.

You can hear (I think Tuke) on the other boat saying we got lucky here.
Lucky in what respect?  Lucky that LR went the other way?

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Any takers:

TAB ODDS

Race 10:

Team New Zealand - $1.35
Luna Rossa - $2.90

Overall winner of the America's Cup:

Team New Zealand - $1.01
Luna Rossa - $15
Good money-laundering odds on ETNZ. The drug dealers and second-hand car dealers will drive that $1.35 down to $1.20 before too long

45Roller

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Speaking of luck. I am lucky enough to celebrate my birthday on St Patrick's day.

So hopefully today will be a trifecta of good luck for ETNZ!
Well happy birthday mate, hope you have a good one, how is the Guinness there?

for a laugh.. here's an interview with our patron saint from our favourite sailing commentator  :lol: