AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
Still fucking waiting. I hear there was drinking from the cup, etc. But nothing on AC.com. I'm beginning to get peeved
Just back from the Viaduct.

Everyone got a lift & a drink, including the shore crew.

Bit sadly the crowd started fading after the first few, at least half the crowd & not much clapping by the end.

Joakim

Super Anarchist
Finland
What a spoiler! I have been watching the races on YT when I wake up. Thus srarting from about three hours after real time. This time it was still live showing the celebration before I saw the race.

Well not much to see in the race, which was over soon after the start although LR won the start. Nice to see TR in a more covering mode.

Congratulations to NZ!

One guy I really take my hat off to is Dan Bernasconi.

When the concept of a large, fully-foiling monohull was first promoted I was sceptical. I figured that the power required to get up on foils would be high but that at least a wing sail could provide that power.

To then learn that a double-skin soft sail would be used made me even more sceptical, but I acknowledged that if they pulled it off then it would a huge advance in sailing technology and capability.

To have now achieved what Dan set out to do puts him up there with any of the great yacht designers. In fact, what he has achieved may put him at the top.

I know many may disagree and cite designers like Herreshoff,  Fife or Stephens, but in my opinion they all improved existing designs without achieving the quantum leap that these foiling monohulls have achieved.

Congratulations to Dan and the entire ETNZ (and Di, I won't have to water-board you anymore at family get-togethers).

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
As per AC.com:

"The prize giving will be held on the America’s Cup Village Main Stage (Te Wero Island) at 730pm NZT and will be streamed live on americascup.com

Press Conference will be held about 30 minutes after the end of prize giving."

Any sign of the prizegiving yet?
i watched on www.americascup.com and also on TVNZ.

Pretty bloody impressive. A bit overcooked but lightyears better than '83 which had no TV coverage. At that prizegiving at a Newport mansion NYYC officers surrendered the Cup to the Ozzers.  They also awarded the America's Cup Plate, a flattened auto hub, to Australian boat designer Ben Lexcen.

Done. I was there

fish7yu

Anarchist
Taiwan
Well not much to see in the race, which was over soon after the start although LR won the start. Nice to see TR in a more covering mode.

LR won the start?  Which race were you watching?  LR wanted the right hand windward side, TR took it off them.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
Max. That's a dream, I and others cling to too.

Trouble is, we have been clinging on so bloody long our fingers are in danger of atrophying.

Wottonthehell happened to the Lucky Country which with Bondy's persistence pried the Cup loose from its NYYC oblivion?
Good question!  I thought Bob Oatley (RIP) would get a team together, but for whatever reasons it didn't happen.

I guess we just need a sailing fanatic with very deep pockets to step forward, but I have no idea who that might be. :unsure:

Kate short for Bob

Super Anarchist
One guy I really take my hat off to is Dan Bernasconi.

When the concept of a large, fully-foiling monohull was first promoted I was sceptical. I figured that the power required to get up on foils would be high but that at least a wing sail could provide that power.

To then learn that a double-skin soft sail would be used made me even more sceptical, but I acknowledged that if they pulled it off then it would a huge advance in sailing technology and capability.

To have now achieved what Dan set out to do puts him up there with any of the great yacht designers. In fact, what he has achieved may put him at the top.

I know many may disagree and cite designers like Herreshoff,  Fife or Stephens, but in my opinion they all improved existing designs without achieving the quantum leap that these foiling monohulls have achieved.

Congratulations to Dan and the entire ETNZ (and Di, I won't have to water-board you anymore at family get-togethers).
Booms are gone.  

Joakim

Super Anarchist
Finland
LR won the start?  Which race were you watching?  LR wanted the right hand side, TR took it off them.
It's almost impossible to stop the other boat from tacking at the start. LR was leading accross the line and had a good leebow situation. They could have tacked, at least when TR tacked.

LR didn't win the start by a big marging. That would have been e.g shutting TR from getting to the line. But they still won it. 

Then TR was faster or got better wind from right. 

TR had the luxury not needing to win the start. They just needed a free line and the boat does the rest. It was a smart move for them, but most likely TR would have won the first cross with a bigger margin, if the places in the start were swapped.

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
rantro said:
and they all walked away staring at their phones and facebook.

After they took their selfies "I was there", they don't need to be anymore.
There were a LOT of ppl in the bars around the Viaduct though.

Neverwas

Sailing anarchy posts have become a Sess pit of bitterness! Moaning about boundaries , were you not praising that when Larry introduced it? Moaning about lack of wind, how is that the kiwis fault? Thats sailing!  Ive looked at this site less and less as times gone on. when we had the IACC boats races would be 2 hours long with boats meeting 2 or 3 times, essentially pre race was great viewing and then that was it, fast boat gone! At least now we have the added tension of will the boats be able to foil? Will this lead disappear if they sail into a light patch. you can frame it anyway you want but I enjoyed the tech, enjoyed the tension of the what if's in the races and I hope they stick with these boats and push the boundaries of what they can do next time. But one thing I wont be back for is the sailing anarchy shit talk