AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Welp I (and all ETNZ fans) got my lucky birthday present today :)

LRRP demonstrated grit and class, and I for one am a proud member of the Francesco Bruni Fan Club.

The viaduct was absolutely mental this afternoon, and this evening. I'm glad that we retained the cup so that we can have another crack at hosting international visitors properly in Aotearoa.

Interesting times ahead :-D

fish7yu

Anarchist
Taiwan
It's almost impossible to stop the other boat from tacking at the start. LR was leading accross the line and had a good leebow situation. They could have tacked, at least when TR tacked.

LR didn't win the start by a big marging. That would have been e.g shutting TR from getting to the line. But they still won it. 

Then TR was faster or got better wind from right. 

TR had the luxury not needing to win the start. They just needed a free line and the boat does the rest. It was a smart move for them, but most likely TR would have won the first cross with a bigger margin, if the places in the start were swapped.

???!!!

LR on port entry and wanted to be on the windward side of the start line (because the right hand side of the course is favoured), TR simply took the option away from LR, crossing the line slightly earlier does not mean anything if you are forced out of the position that you wanted.

Joakim

Super Anarchist
Finland
???!!!

LR on port entry and wanted to be on the windward side of the start line (because the right hand side of the course is favoured), TR simply took the option away from LR, crossing the line slightly earlier does not mean anything if you are forced out of the position that you wanted.
No. Jimmy said RC end is favored. Thus they wanted to start near the right end of the line. They didn't say nor do anyting that implied they had any plans on making the extra tack TR did. You loose 50 m or so in a tack.

You don't want to start on a windward side of the other boat unless there is a clear gap and it's still risky since you need to let the other boat tack at the boundary. Previous day LR was just barely able to leebow TR at the boundary tack. This is especially true for LR, since TR needs to sail lower and then has better VMG.

LR started in a good position regarding were TR was. TR would not have survived there to the boundary. They had to tack and wanted to tack. Maybe that fooled LR? I don't see much LR could have done.

TR gained about 50 m in total. I think that was just boat speed. All the way to the boundary + to the middle has been about 50 m to TR.

efrank

Congrats to ETNZ and especially to all the engineers and craftsmen who built these amazing machines!  What an incredible feat.  When I first saw the concept drawings, I was in the no fucking way camp.  Just blown away with the courage and skill shown in the  design, construction and operation of these beasts.  

shebeen

Super Anarchist
Jimmy Spithill concedes it was like taking a knife to a gunfight against Team New Zealand

David Long20:23, Mar 17 2021
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whats App
  • Reddit
  • Email

RYAN ANDERSON/STUFF
Luna Rossa's Jimmy Spithill contemplates what might have been after losing the America's Cup to Team New Zealand.
Jimmy Spithill said it was like taking a knife to a gunfight in the America’s Cup Match against Team New Zealand - but he’s not giving up on winning the Auld Mug again.

The co-helmsman who has so often been the nemesis of Team New Zealand, was gracious in defeat after Luna Rossa lost race 10 on Wednesday, going down 7-3 in the best of 13 series.

The Italians had hoped they could be equal with the speed of Te Rehutai in the Match, but in Wednesday’s race it was clear they weren’t as fast, with Team New Zealand winning by 46 seconds.

“It would have been nice to have won a few more races against the Kiwis, but to be quite honest at times it felt like we were taking a knife to a gunfight,” Spithill said when interviewed afterwards.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-i-let-them-down-dejected-luna-rossa-co-helmsman-jimmy-spithill-vows-to-be-back/3R5QSTQDKHMBR7BFHYQIUXLE4M/

is he counting the DoG series as a Cup final? even my granny could have won with that bazooka in a knifefight

"I love the fight, I love competing. That's my fourth Cup final in a row and I'm two wins, two losses. I can't leave it there; I've got to tip it the right way," Spithill said.

luisbordino

Argentina
Congratulations to all Kiwi supporters here, and a great recognition for the (I believe) closest effort from an Italian Team.  You won races despite not having the fastest boat, made less mistakes also. Also I think @strider470 was very humorous taking all bullets graciously, you are an alter ego of Max Sirena!

Also congratulations to @Basiliscus, @MaxHugen, @erdb, @weta27, @Mozzy Sails and many others who took time to help us understand these machines of sailing!

Luis

Last edited by a moderator:

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
A thousand likes to Jason. His coverage was one of a kind, dedicated, and responsible for me winning a good pot when I saw the B5 flopping around over there. 

Maybe in a new world 4 years from now we can crowd fund some assistance for him to visit NZ
YES!

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
Our American friends in this forum seem very silent, you would of  though they would be congratulating us.
Hey - absolutely.  Way to kick some ass.   Too bad you had the obvious advantage of having written the rule.

(After all... that's how a Kiwi would respond, based on all the shit talking done by Kiwis on this forum).

But, in all seriousness.  Nice boat, and great job sailing.  Way to go!

You also have to remember most 'Americans' have been asleep and are at work now.

Last edited by a moderator:

fish7yu

Anarchist
Taiwan
No. Jimmy said RC end is favored. Thus they wanted to start near the right end of the line. They didn't say nor do anyting that implied they had any plans on making the extra tack TR did. You loose 50 m or so in a tack.

You don't want to start on a windward side of the other boat unless there is a clear gap and it's still risky since you need to let the other boat tack at the boundary. Previous day LR was just barely able to leebow TR at the boundary tack. This is especially true for LR, since TR needs to sail lower and then has better VMG.

LR started in a good position regarding were TR was. TR would not have survived there to the boundary. They had to tack and wanted to tack. Maybe that fooled LR? I don't see much LR could have done.

TR gained about 50 m in total. I think that was just boat speed. All the way to the boundary + to the middle has been about 50 m to TR.

As you said, the RC end is favoured, so did LR managed to get the favoured side of the starting line? the port entry boat is supposed to have the advantage to choose where they wanted to be positioned off the starting line. 

TR wanted the right hand side from the get go and executed the tack off the starting line perfectly as planned, not hard to see who actually won that start.

Jandals

Ottawa
Yeah I remember 2003, 2007 and 2013, which were not fun years. San Francisco was a real kick in the guts and I really though ETNZ were dead in the water. I really do know what your going through. 

The TV were saying that LR were confirmed to coming back, so you might get your revenge. 

Losing the cup is not fun, but the Italian fans were a real class act. You guys will be welcomed back with open arms 
Despite not winning 2007, I think we can be extremely proud of that result. We were a mosquitoe's dick away from winning a race that would have had the scoreline at 4-3. Alinghi proved to be faster but to get that result from the ashes of 2003 was quite remarkable. 2003 hurt more because of the cowardice in which the core of a great team that SPB created pissed off and gutted TNZ leaving not a lot of time to scrape a defence together. 2013 sucked because we made too many fundamental errors along the way. I don't think 2017 was possible without 2013.

Joakim

Super Anarchist
Finland
TR wanted the right hand side from the get go and executed the tack off the starting line perfectly as planned, not hard to see who actually won that start.
Would you say that, if TR had been behind at the first cross?

Two separate things winning the start and getting an advantage from a split after the start. The latter being mostly boat speed.

LR started where they wanted in the situation. In the leebow of TR and not letting TR to start with a gap to leeward.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Would you say that, if TR had been behind at the first cross?

Two separate things winning the start and getting an advantage from a split after the start. The latter being mostly boat speed.

LR started where they wanted in the situation. In the leebow of TR and not letting TR to start with a gap to leeward.
They weren't behind on the first cross! Watch the 2011/ 2012 Volvo Ocean Race Auckland Inshore race start, Camper did the same thing, started behind the leaders but took the right hand side, tacked soon after the start and went straight to the wall in front of the Hilton. Its not about just getting the bow over the line before your opponent. Its about being able to consolidate the start by getting the first shift and pressure, and winning the first cross.