AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 
So would LR and what patriotic Italian would switch from LR to Etnz? 

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Hey - absolutely.  Way to kick some ass.   Too bad you had the obvious advantage of having written the rule.

(After all... that's how a Kiwi would respond, based on all the shit talking done by Kiwis on this forum).

But, in all seriousness.  Nice boat, and great job sailing.  Way to go!

You also have to remember most 'Americans' have been asleep and are at work now.
LOL!

Well played. After some of the Kiwis here were total cunts after Bermuda and when ETNZ were 8-1 up in San Francisco you are entitled to that one.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
LOL!

Well played. After some of the Kiwis here were total cunts after Bermuda and when ETNZ were 8-1 up in San Francisco you are entitled to that one.
I probably just should have said "Goodonya!" and moved on.  But I couldn't resist stirring the pot.

G

If you can stand a slower pace, SailGP will be up pretty soon. 
Dalts said in Bermuda something about the ac needing something with more presence that "beach cats" zipping around. After the 75's sail GP seems so beach cat!

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
I probably just should have said "Goodonya!" and moved on.  But I couldn't resist stirring the pot.
Meh. Someone would have probably taken exception with that too.

Just be careful to use the right pronouns otherwise you will be in deep shit! 

It would be a nuclear winter with all the snowflakes melting down.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Still several hundred posts to catch up on...

But first: Congrats ETNZ, won and defended again, you're in an exclusive club (you are an exclusive club  :D ).

Congrats to LRPP, you were and hopefully will be a very worthy, charming and capable challenger. 

Thanks for the entertainment!

efrank

Dalts said in Bermuda something about the ac needing something with more presence that "beach cats" zipping around. After the 75's sail GP seems so beach cat!
I am looking forward to SailGP.  I love the Cup for the spectacle it is, but as far as racing goes, one design is more interesting to me.  Seeing a lot of these guys go head to head again will be awesome.  If the Brits hadn't stolen half of Nathan's team, I think he would dominate the series.  Sure hope he gets a ride in the next Cup - and I hope it is helming the "American" boat.

G

Still several hundred posts to catch up on...

But first: Congrats ETNZ, won and defended again, you're in an exclusive club (you are an exclusive club  :D ).

Congrats to LRPP, you were and hopefully will be a very worthy, charming and capable challenger. 

Thanks for the entertainment!
The feeling here is extremely supportive of LR, no one is bad mouthing them and while we won, many people consider LR to be equal winners in the ac circus and I am sure there would have been a huge party for them if they did lift the cup.  A worthy opponent makes you look good, and LR sailed the foils of their boat, they could not have done better. I have no doubt that if they had identical boats then the result could very easily have gone the other way. At this level all the teams were capable of taking the cup with the right gear if they were in the zone. ET were the well deserved winners because they had the best boat, and ultimately the best crew who were "in the zone"

Blitzkrieg9

If the Brits hadn't stolen half of Nathan's team, I think he would dominate the series. 
That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

So, I dont think UK stole them so much as Japan was forced to let them go.   

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. 

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
I am looking forward to SailGP.  I love the Cup for the spectacle it is, but as far as racing goes, one design is more interesting to me.  Seeing a lot of these guys go head to head again will be awesome.  If the Brits hadn't stolen half of Nathan's team, I think he would dominate the series.  Sure hope he gets a ride in the next Cup - and I hope it is helming the "American" boat.
Yeah, I like the concept of SailGP - one design, but continuous development. Plus many of the top foiling sailors.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Yeah, I like the concept of SailGP - one design, but continuous development. Plus many of the top foiling sailors.
To be honest, aside from the fact that Wussell set it up I don't understand the hate for SailGP.

I doesn't nor will it ever have the allure of the AC, but it is still a good spectacle.

It won't last for more than 5 years or so though, because dreams of it being commercially self sustaining are just that -dreams. And once Lazza bites if it or kicks the bucket, it will fold like a cheap suit.

But we can enjoy a Billionaire wasting his money in the meantime.

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
To be honest, aside from the fact that Wussell set it up I don't understand the hate for SailGP.

I doesn't nor will it ever have the allure of the AC, but it is still a good spectacle.

It won't last for more than 5 years or so though, because dreams of it being commercially self sustaining are just that -dreams. And once Lazza bites if it or kicks the bucket, it will fold like a cheap suit.

But we can enjoy a Billionaire wasting his money in the meantime.
At ~8 race series per year, it may tide us over.

Personally, I really prefer The Ocean Race, but that's been postponed until 2022. First class coverage!

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnyb

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Happy

160935984_4085743344783381_686899870801514377_o.jpg

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

So, I dont think UK stole them so much as Japan was forced to let them go.   

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. 
That is CORRECT :)