AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
To be honest, aside from the fact that Wussell set it up I don't understand the hate for SailGP.

I doesn't nor will it ever have the allure of the AC, but it is still a good spectacle.

It won't last for more than 5 years or so though, because dreams of it being commercially self sustaining are just that -dreams. And once Lazza bites if it or kicks the bucket, it will fold like a cheap suit.

But we can enjoy a Billionaire wasting his money in the meantime.
jaysper,

This is nonsense from you. It will last more than 5 years. SailGP replaced the shitty ESS (Extreme Sailing Series) who had snark Coverage all over it.

More and more commencial sponsors are hooping onto the GP bandwagon. INEOS for the Brits, ROCKWOOL for the Danes. I am sure there will be more. SailGP will sustain itself without the big pockets of Larry Ellison. The COVID Pandemic has thrown a little bit of a curveball into it but as long as SailGP attracts the likes of Burling/Tuke, Spithill, Ainslie, Outerridge and Slingsby they are looking good.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
jaysper,

This is nonsense from you. It will last more than 5 years. SailGP replaced the shitty ESS (Extreme Sailing Series) who had snark Coverage all over it.

More and more commencial sponsors are hooping onto the GP bandwagon. INEOS for the Brits, ROCKWOOL for the Danes. I am sure there will be more. SailGP will sustain itself without the big pockets of Larry Ellison. The COVID Pandemic has thrown a little bit of a curveball into it but as long as SailGP attracts the likes of Burling/Tuke, Spithill, Ainslie, Outerridge and Slingsby they are looking good.
Well we can agree to disagree and for what it's worth I hope I am wrong.

efrank

That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

So, I dont think UK stole them so much as Japan was forced to let them go.   

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. 
Please don't ruin my outrage with facts.

LCS Carbon

Flags
Home
That is not entirely accurate. Japan is designated a "development team" and as such are allowed more foreigners on board.  But, the allowance goes down each year. 2019 they only needed 3 Japanese citizens on the boat. I'm pretty sure for 2020 they require 4 or 5 Japanese citizens.  2021 will probably stay the same because 2020 was canceled.   

So, I dont think UK stole them so much as Japan was forced to let them go.   

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. 
Nah this is correct. not sure about the 2020 thing though. 

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Sailing, Gods

Great wrap-up here from the Herald (of all places).

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-world-media-reacts-to-team-new-zealand-defending-the-cup/IZKYTPX5APRMYAG5TCCBTL7EZM/

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.24.47 AM.png

Blitzkrieg9

Nah this is correct. not sure about the 2020 thing though. 
The Japanese citizenship requirement definitely went up, im just not positive by how much. They raced the first regatta in 2020 before the series got canceled.  In that one regatta, the announcers talked about the new crew members that were added specifically because the exemption tightened as a 2nd year team.   

The biggest issue is that eventually Japan will lose their development status and Outerridge will get kicked off.  I'd hate to see him not racing in the SailGP!  He is fantastic. 

45Roller

Super Anarchist
Ireland
The biggest issue is that eventually Japan will lose their development status and Outerridge will get kicked off.  I'd hate to see him not racing in the SailGP!  He is fantastic. 
Yeah true mate, but NO did say that TT would be interested in challenging again if it stayed in the same boats and costs were brought down etc, would be so cool to see him at the wheel of an AC75v2 

The Main Man

Super Anarchist
Blighty
Excellent regatta, congratulations to ETNZ, worthy winners. Commiserations to Luna Rossa, what a great team with some great supporters out there and here on these boards.

Now what am I going to do every morning before work?!?

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Excellent regatta, congratulations to ETNZ, worthy winners. Commiserations to Luna Rossa, what a great team with some great supporters out there and here on these boards.

Now what am I going to do every morning before work?!?
Well said and I will also struggle with not having this spectacle to look forward to in the middle of the night. And all the rascals here providing entertainment  :lol:  As I said before, we were only short of a pub and the craic that comes with it.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
I hope Max and Luna Rossa come back, Max was tearing up when asked if he'd take a sabbatical, I really hope it isn't "it" for him, I'm sure ETNZ would welcome him back in an off the water role if he wanted to step back a bit. 
Honestly, who would Max replace at ETNZ?? :lol: Max (and one or 2 others) only came to ETNZ for AC35 because of their common objective to get rid of Ellison - not necessarily because he had any specific skills to offer ETNZ!!

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Finally got to watch it recorded, what a great AC and congrats ETNZ and great sportsmanship by Luna Rossa, really good to see that, including the waves and salutes on multiple sailbys at the end.

So, is there any consensus of what critical differences contributed to the speed advantage for TR? Or as usual was is a whole combination of slight advantages. Seems to me in addition to things like the near perfect flight control, and the overall skill of the team, the boom-in-wing and hence lower clean deck versus boom-in-deck and hence higher deck might have been a critical difference.

And to make this post too long, at the start why could not LR have tacked a few seconds after TR and tried to live there to the boundary at which point they could give TR bad air after the boundary tack? Is that not the correct move for match racing versus sailing off to the left boundary and allowing a split? I for one wished for a couple more races, and would have loved to see one near the top of the wind range.

Latest posts