AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

WakaNZ

Auckland
What a regatta, I went back to some of the earliest posts in channels with hundreds of pages, some posts did not age well!

Awesome chapter in the AC story, a few people kicked out of here, some found new talent and shared incredible insights. I'd be keen to have a beer with anyone in Auckland, have a laugh about the cup and some stories of SA.

Wanted to say cheers for those that contributed quality comments, I hope we get to see these boats used again soon as training wheels, until then, the AC37 story starts today.  

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Queens Birthday Honours...

Sir_Dalts-Winner.jpg

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
I thought Dan's countenance interesting. He looks mildly amused, but also deeply engrossed in working through the next go-faster tweak. A bloody genius.
Some wunderkind on the radio suggested they use these boats in a round the world race.

Aside from the obvious structural issues, where will you store the 100 people to grind and control the foils 24x7?

Genius!

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
I thought Dan's countenance interesting. He looks mildly amused, but also deeply engrossed in working through the next go-faster tweak. A bloody genius.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to write something similar because he looks like the Nutty Professor standing there with them. He deserves enormous credit to have delivered on this new class of boat with all of the inherent risks. ETNZ now have some serious talent across the spectrum. Wow.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Some wunderkind on the radio suggested they use these boats in a round the world race.

Aside from the obvious structural issues, where will you store the 100 people to grind and control the foils 24x7?

Genius!
Funny, we have those types on our radio too. Can't be too hard to find someone who knows what they're talking about. 

marlowe

Anarchist
all at sea

Genius!
Terrible idea. The boundaries woulds be too restrictive FFS!

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Dan Bernasconi will be the most wanted designer on the planet now. Dalton knows this and will have ensured that they can retain him. Dan's major reasons for staying with ETNZ are tha same as Glen Ashby's: he likes the freedom, encouragement and support to think outside the circle at ETNZ, the seamless interaction with the sailors, the environment, etc..He was offered a blank sheet and cheque to write his own job spec and numbers after BDA but he politely declined..

He even has that look of a genius about him :D . Loved his comment at the presser that he was hoping they'd be racing today with winds expected to be in the high teens so they can see what Te Rehutai was capable of under real racing conditions..

WakaNZ

Auckland
Question,

YouTube Port Entry camera, 1:04:58. Jimmy comments about ETNZ high mode then says they are 4kts faster. He didn't say a few but instead was specific. Does each team get the other boats data or how would he have known this? 

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Well, Pete has slowed a bit for sure (as have we all in advancing years) but I listened to his radio commentary of race 10 yesterday (stuck in bloody Auckland traffic!!) and it was as good as I recall back in 1995. Well done PJ.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to write something similar because he looks like the Nutty Professor standing there with them. He deserves enormous credit to have delivered on this new class of boat with all of the inherent risks. ETNZ now have some serious talent across the spectrum. Wow.
Being effusive with likes around here is short lived. (In fact, it's a pain in the arse, Ed!!!!)

So here's a +1 Paddy.

1eyedkiwi

New Zealand
Thanks everyone for making the whole AC regatta so much more enjoyable.  SA is kind of like AC therapy for me :).  I'm a proud kiwi and so very proud that we did it again.  A relief & very satisfying.  It was made all the more sweet by how close it was.  Italy was awesome and were so professional and honorable.  At 3-3, I didn't think a 7-3 score line was possible.  I do feel sorry for the Italians.  To be 3-3 and a win a real possibility, it must be hard to lose.  So many "what ifs" but if races 8 & 9 had gone the other way then who knows...

ETNZ winning the last two Cups has for me properly buried the demons of 2003, 2007 & 2013.  Bring on the next one - hopefully in NZ and with more teams.

It will be very interesting to see what transpires over the next six months or so in terms of whether the current core ETNZ team members stay.  But after what happened after 2000 (losing Coutts etc) and the public backlash against them... I'm sure the key NZ talent will stay.  I just can't see Burling/Tuke/Junior/Maloney etc defecting.  I also think they will be keen to be the first team to go 3 in a row for quite some time (how long has it been?).  Dan and Glenn are an unknown.  Dan does sound like he loves ETNZ so may stay and so too with Glenn.  But if there is an Australian challenge, and they certainly have enough talent to mount one, that may be enough to lure Glenn away.