AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Dan Bernasconi will be the most wanted designer on the planet now. Dalton knows this and will have ensured that they can retain him. Dan's major reasons for staying with ETNZ are tha same as Glen Ashby's: he likes the freedom, encouragement and support to think outside the circle at ETNZ, the seamless interaction with the sailors, the environment, etc..He was offered a blank sheet and cheque to write his own job spec and numbers after BDA but he politely declined..

He even has that look of a genius about him :D . Loved his comment at the presser that he was hoping they'd be racing today with winds expected to be in the high teens so they can see what Te Rehutai was capable of under real racing conditions..
Dan Bernasconi will stay I am pretty sure of that. I read an Interview with "TheTimes" in the UK before the AC Match started that he will stay as long as ETNZ wants him.

Glenn Ashby is a different subject. First of all he is a Sailor and not a Designer and in case you missed it during the Official AC Broadcast yesterday his fellow Australian Nathan Outerridge said On-Air that Ashby is likely going back to Australia after bascially having spent most of the last 8 years since he signed up for ETNZ's 2013 Challenge in New Zealand. That might be indicative how the National Requirement will be for Sailors come AC37!

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Dan Bernasconi will stay I am pretty sure of that. I read an Interview with "TheTimes" in the UK before the AC Match started that he will stay as long as ETNZ wants him.

Glenn Ashby is a different subject. First of all he is a Sailor and not a Designer and in case you missed it during the Official AC Broadcast yesterday his fellow Australian Nathan Outerridge said On-Air that Ashby is likely going back to Australia after bascially having spent most of the last 8 years since he signed up for ETNZ's 2013 Challenge in New Zealand. That might be indicative how the National Requirement will be for Sailors come AC37!
Maybe we can finally see another Australian team.

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
Maybe we can finally see another Australian team.
Unlikely sadly - unless the arms race drops down a few tiers to something more affordable.

There just hasn't been another rich dude with enough of an interest in the sport prepared to fund one since 1987, Oatley toyed with the idea a few years back but balked at the cost and I'd be surprised if that family would now pony up in Bob's wake.  Marcus Blackmore could theoretically be a candidate but his passion to date has been as a top level owner-driver rather than as sugar daddy for a bunch of pros.

Jim Cooney, Christian Beck maybe but I suspect it's out of their $ reach at present. 

In terms of the Corporate alternative, a la ETNZ, there just hasn't ever been the level of support from National champions to get a proposition up.

Auckland
Incredible day out on the water yesterday! A few shots I got amongst way too many beers.

DSC_6676.jpg

DSC_6684.jpg

DSC_6690.jpg

DSC_6694.jpg

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Unlikely sadly - unless the arms race drops down a few tiers to something more affordable.

There just hasn't been another rich dude with enough of an interest in the sport prepared to fund one since 1987, Oatley toyed with the idea a few years back but balked at the cost and I'd be surprised if that family would now pony up in Bob's wake.  Marcus Blackmore could theoretically be a candidate but his passion to date has been as a top level owner-driver rather than as sugar daddy for a bunch of pros.

Jim Cooney, Christian Beck maybe but I suspect it's out of their $ reach at present. 

In terms of the Corporate alternative, a la ETNZ, there just hasn't ever been the level of support from National champions to get a proposition up.
Sorry to read that. You guys are the ones who turned the AC into a real competition. I'm surprised whatever your national sailing organization is cannot come up with a way to fund it in the modern era of crowdsourcing, etc. Get five of your billionaires involved if individual ones can't spare the chump change.

DickDastardly

Super Anarchist
Syderney
Sorry to read that. You guys are the ones who turned the AC into a real competition. I'm surprised whatever your national sailing organization is cannot come up with a way to fund it in the modern era of crowdsourcing, etc. Get five of your billionaires involved if individual ones can't spare the chump change.
Never say never.  A syndicate involving some of those characters and the obvious sailors may well have the legs.  The design side might be an issue - where to get the right talent.  But, it's solvable, just hard.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
5 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Interesting, he’s suggesting what LE bankrolled for years of ACWS racing with the 45’s and then upgrading them to the 45F’s. Maybe the RNZYS guy who’s trying to build and sell the boats he wanted the Youth AC series to use, is making a stand? 

Last edited by a moderator:

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
Our national sailing organisation, LOL.

fish7yu

Taiwan
Would you say that, if TR had been behind at the first cross?

Two separate things winning the start and getting an advantage from a split after the start. The latter being mostly boat speed.

LR started where they wanted in the situation. In the leebow of TR and not letting TR to start with a gap to leeward.

LR did not start as they had planned, that is to the RC side of the starting line, TR forced them out of the position and started in clear air, LR might be leeward and ahead slightly, but TR had taken all of the advantages away from LR (port entry, high mode, the ability to cover), TR did not make the move because they had to, TR executed exactly as they had planned.  Again, it is not difficult to see who had the upper-hand in the starting sequence.