AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

Man, thats cruel!
I really hope they can turn around and get AC37 running quicker...similar to 2000 - 2003, effectively only a 2.5 year turnaround from the finish to the start of the challenger series. However given certain restrictions on travel etc, it might be that they do run with a DOG challenge next year with the certainty of IF ETNZ win they return to NZ in 2024.....fascinating times indeed!

Foyle

Various
rantro said:
So there you have it ladies and gentlemen.

Smaller versions to get people into this type of racing.  What teenage sailor will not want to crew on that?  (or older sailors with some cash)
In a class that is getting more refined there are fewer opportunities for big technical leaps.  ETNZ need to make the AC class small enough and cheap enough that they can afford to run a two boat campaign - Defenders need more full scale race experience than they can get from sailing a single boat.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Man, thats cruel!
Indeed, and that's why Dan B. was hinting at a nice performance in the stronger winds. With the smaller foils, match practice and some of the tweaks they have been making, it might have been special.

BTW...that view from North Head of ETNZ coming in surrounded by the flotilla was amazing. What a sight.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Glenn Ashby is a different subject. First of all he is a Sailor and not a Designer and in case you missed it during the Official AC Broadcast yesterday his fellow Australian Nathan Outerridge said On-Air that Ashby is likely going back to Australia after bascially having spent most of the last 8 years since he signed up for ETNZ's 2013 Challenge in New Zealand.
Nothing new about that "revelation" - Glen Ashby continued to live in Australia since he signed up with ETNZ, only spending extensive time in Auckland when he has had to during boat design, testing, etc. During AC36, he moved his family over to comply with the continuous residence requirement of AC36 Protocol.

Glen Ashby can apply for a Kiwi passport without relinquishing his Aussie citizenship - probably already travels on one.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I really hope they can turn around and get AC37 running quicker...similar to 2000 - 2003, effectively only a 2.5 year turnaround from the finish to the start of the challenger series. However given certain restrictions on travel etc, it might be that they do run with a DOG challenge next year with the certainty of IF ETNZ win they return to NZ in 2024.....fascinating times indeed!
If they run a Single Challenger Event ala before 1970 (when the CSS was established) then they would lose all the NZ Government Funding. The Condition of the NZ Government funding another Defence is that AC37 takes place in Auckland.

I think that there will be a CSS/AC in Auckland in 2023/2024.

ACWS Events in Portsmouth & Newport in the 2nd Half of 2022.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
The venue-bid documents that were posted first by TE and later elsewhere, I wonder if NZ is supposed to be bidding under those same terms? 

One of them was that ACE (with GD for-himself still paid as CEO) had to still have control of ‘running’ the event and its budget; another was a stipulation that teams would be required to be located at the venue for.. was it a year prior to the Match, as enticement to the bidding host? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
If they run a Single Challenger Event ala before 1970 (when the CSS was established) then they would lose all the NZ Government Funding. The Condition of the NZ Government funding another Defence is that AC37 takes place in Auckland.

I think that there will be a CSS/AC in Auckland in 2023/2024.

ACWS Events in Portsmouth & Newport in the 2nd Half of 2022.
I think AC37 will be in Auckland in Feb-March 2024, with a few AWS events around Europe and US East and West coasts in early '23. Interest can build up leveraging off the Rugby World Cup tv coverage in Sept-Oct '23 in France.

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
The venue-bid documents that were posted first by TE and later elsewhere, I wonder if NZ is supposed to be bidding under those same terms? 

One of them was that ACE (with GD for-himself still paid as CEO) had to still have control of ‘running’ the event and its budget; another was a stipulation that teams would be required to be located at the venue for.. was it a year prior to the Match, as enticement to the bidding host? 
Tom Ehman?

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
rantro said:
So there you have it ladies and gentlemen.

Smaller versions to get people into this type of racing.  What teenage sailor will not want to crew on that?  (or older sailors with some cash)
Not a fan of these boats, but I am glad they are doing something for talent development. 

G

expect a few people to turn up for a bash around the cans next time youre out, they might be surprised at how much they like pushing water

Last edited:

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
1 hour ago, 45Roller said:

Not news at all. The Youth America's Cup which had to be cancelled because of COVID was going to be sailed by young crews of 4 in small foilers. The boat has been designed. There also a similar boat recently used for the youth foiling event in Europe. So the boats are already there

Sea Breeze 74

Anarchist
NZL
I haven't managed to keep up with the radio chatter here this last week ... spent much of my time out watching the racing! 

Anyway, congratulations ETNZ and a big thanks to Luna Rosa. Such a shame we couldn't see TR sailing to her full potential in some decent breeze, I reckon that would have been quite something.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Anyway, congratulations ETNZ and a big thanks to Luna Rosa. Such a shame we couldn't see TR sailing to her full potential in some decent breeze, I reckon that would have been quite something.
Agree, but adding ‘For LR too!’ We missed decent breeze this time, again.. 

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Yeah hopefully, TS and NO said it would be closer to reality if ETNZ won it, kept the class and reduced costs, fingers crossed 
Good grief, can you imagine Ashby, TS and NO on one boat with JS as manager and coach.

Nah...its not going to happen. Aussie provides the talent for OPBs.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Good grief, can you imagine Ashby, TS and NO on one boat with JS as manager and coach.

Nah...its not going to happen. Aussie provides the talent for OPBs.
Not convinced how Slingsby can work with Spithill after second-guessing him in BDA in the midst of rumours that Coutts wanted him to replace Spithill when 4-zip down in the Match. Nor for that matter Glen Ashby working with their big egos having spent 8 years in a collaborative and supportive team environment.