AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
rantro said:
Australia does not have to prove anything to anybody in sailing.

I think that is at the heart of the absence as a team.

Been there done that, got the T-shirt.
Tell that to TS and NO as they watch their near neighbours become an AC superpower.

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
Interesting, he’s suggesting what LE bankrolled for years of ACWS racing with the 45’s and then upgrading them to the 45F’s.
Whatever else my opinion on the LE/RC era of the AC the idea to quickly mass-produce a bunch of relatively cheap & portable OD AC45s for a touring pre-series was brilliant.

It was a great shame that GD didn't try to emulate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
rantro said:
Australia does not have to prove anything to anybody in sailing.

I think that is at the heart of the absence as a team.

Been there done that, got the T-shirt.
I don't think it is a case of having the tshirt.

Perhaps we are just waiting for things to settle down so we know what we are getting into.

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
rantro said:
Kiwi: "So what do you think of that apple?"

Aussie: "It's pretty good. I like it."

Kiwi: "Is it as good as an Australian apple?"

Aussie: "It's better, this is really good."

Kiwi: "So you are just saying that to be polite right?"

Aussie: "No, it really is a really nice apple."

Kiwi: "You are being condescending smart arse aren't you.  You really don't think it is better than an Australian apple, you are just being a cunt!"
That's actually kinda accurate.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Whatever else my opinion on the LE/RC era of the AC the idea to quickly mass-produce a bunch of relatively cheap & portable OD AC45s for a touring pre-series was brilliant.

It was a great shame that GD didn't try to emulate it.
Te Kahu might be exactly the right prototype.

ETNZ.jpg

Piet56

Anarchist
Dumbjockistan
They came down from Meekatharra
In a burned-out blue FJ
That farted and just shit itself in Jutland Parade
Right next door to Bondy's...
ROTFLMAO.... Oh how I wish mate..... better than trying to herd those ego's on the East Coast - Seems to be the kiss of death these days..... express an interest in doing a Syndicate for the A.C & get a visit from the A.T.O or the bloody Fed's..... let alone getting roasted by the Tall Poppy / N.I.M.B.Y bastards that frequent the "Higher net worth" individuals......

God knows we have the ability.....

Piet56

Anarchist
Dumbjockistan
The design side might be an issue - where to get the right talent.  But, it's solvable, just hard.
If it was easy every bastard & their dog would be doing it...... How much do the Aussies want the Cup back? Freo was a bloody magnificent event Christ that placed rocked..... Sydney would have a venue built for stadium racing like course C in AKL....'

In short, till the heavies check their ego's at the door and get a grip, it ain't going to happen & Good bloody Luck getting the sort of support on a State or Federal level like ETNZ got / has still got.....

Nutta

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
ROTFLMAO.... Oh how I wish mate..... better than trying to herd those ego's on the East Coast - Seems to be the kiss of death these days..... express an interest in doing a Syndicate for the A.C & get a visit from the A.T.O or the bloody Fed's..... let alone getting roasted by the Tall Poppy / N.I.M.B.Y bastards that frequent the "Higher net worth" individuals......

God knows we have the ability.....
Just get your criminal shit sorted, build a fucking boat, and turn up, ok?

Piet56

Anarchist
Dumbjockistan
ust get your criminal shit sorted, build a fucking boat, and turn up, ok?
Awestraya, the best criminal justice system money can by..... You're considered Aussie royalty if you can trace back to the 1st Fleet deportee's I tell ya!....

Last edited by a moderator:

Joakim

Super Anarchist
Finland
LR did not start as they had planned, that is to the RC side of the starting line, TR forced them out of the position and started in clear air, LR might be leeward and ahead slightly, but TR had taken all of the advantages away from LR (port entry, high mode, the ability to cover), TR did not make the move because they had to, TR executed exactly as they had planned.  Again, it is not difficult to see who had the upper-hand in the starting sequence.
Well I disagree with almost all of that. Yes it might have been according to the plan TR made. They didn't need to win the start, they were happy to tack and use their speed. Maybe they thought right side was favored.

TR was about 10 m behind at the start with minimal gap to windward. It would have been easy for LR to smoke them off. TR didn't have the option to continue on starboard, if they wanted to be in front at the first cross.

I think LR was very happy with their start. They probably started to worry when TR tacked right away when they still had good speed. Note how LR was faster almost all the way to the boundary. That's how much you loose in a tack vs. good acceleration before start. But TR is a faster boat and may have gotten a slight edge on the right side.

I'm sure LR would have been 50-100 m behind had they tacked and TR continued on starboard. I'm also sure LR had no plans of starting on the windward side of TR unless TR would have been in their bad air, which would have required winning the start with a huge margin.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
I think you're short changing Spithill

2010 - won 2 races

2013 won 11 races, lost 8

2017 won 1 race, lost 8

2021 won 3 races, lost 7

17 wins, 23 losses
To give credit where credit is due:

1. He has helmed in every single AC final since 2010.  That is quite a record. 11 years at the top of the AC game. He has really only won once (2013 because I dont attribute a lot of skill to the DoG match) but he has been on competitive teams each time.

2. 40 AC races is a record.

No he doesnt rank with Coutts and he doesnt have the breadth of accomplishment like Burling (Olympic Gold, Volvo race etc) but as a guy totally focussed on the AC, he has carved quite a career.