AC36: The Match (6-15th March. Reserve days to the 21st)

weta27

Super Anarchist
Any information from the practising the past few days whether TR is trying out two helms, ala LR?
Looking at the various videos of TR training over the last two days, they appear to be practising tight turns with no-one crossing - pre-starts?

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Agreed.  LR just look smoother.  Reminds me of how ETNZ's 2017 boat looked in light to moderate wind.  This time round ETNZ looks like it's more on the edge.
True. Probably because it is on the edge and maybe that’s delivering speed. On the other hand, smooth and clean can also be fast. That’s why it will hopefully be a great final. 

So I've been dwelling on the rule 16 interpretation by the umpires. I think I've switch back again to thinking it's not a great idea. So time to re litigate it ;)

I watched Vittorio's counter argument and from what I understood of it (his accent is tough) he was concerned that this interpretation was changing the game, specifically it will prevent what he called "fishtailing". I've got to watch it a few more times to understand exactly what he's saying.....

But while thinking about it, i did come up with another way it is changing the game in a small but significant way.

In a close cross situation, there has always been an area of doubt where it wasn't humanly possible to tell if a boat was just crossing or just failing to cross. I think the way the game had been played is that the benefit of that doubt has always been given to the ROW boat. If it wasn't clear that the KC boat was keeping clear, then they will have been penalized regardless of any subsequent change of course by the ROW boat.

But now the technology has removed all but a few cm of that doubt. They can precisely tell if a boat is or isn't across and thus the benefit of that no longer doubtful period is now given 50:50 between the boats. Half to the ROW boat for the precisely determined just not crossing cases; and half to the KC boat for the just squeaking across cases.

So while it may be accurate and according to the rules, it is a shift of the balance the game away from the ROW boat to the KC boat.

So previously if a cross looked doubtful, a near certain penalty awaited any attempt to do so. Now a boat can think there is a 50:50 chance of getting away with a dubious manoeuvre. That can't encourage safe decision making.

weta27

Super Anarchist
A little taster ...

DSC_4165.JPG

DSC_4170.JPG

DSC_4136.JPG

DSC_4197.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ncik

Super Anarchist
Because you don't see Sydney to Hobart boats picking which keel and measurement certificate to use the day before depending on the forecast (trust me some of them do have multiple).    Currently any well prepared campaign has the possibility to win major events, but if the precedent is set of picking major components of the boat depending of the forecast, then only campaigns with huge budgets will win.   If you can swap foils, then why not keels or even hulls?  Perhaps WOXI could have a fat arsed Comanche-like hull sitting in the shed, ready to swap in if the forecast is suitable.

If our sport goes this way, then we will soon get into endless Ship of Theseus debates... hmmm perhaps better than debating if staying isolated from people who may be infected with a virus is or isn't an effective way to avoid catching the virus??? DUH!
Have you ever heard of a skiff?

mad

Super Anarchist
Umm, sorry but you cannot take a single post out of context.

You need to go back further to understand the full gist.

My argument is AGAINST the lockdowns period.

My point was that the US & UK instigated lockdowns and still ended up fucked.
Oh, no, you're mistaken. I understood your position. My argument is that the US and UK "lock-downs" were useless examples of such. Hence the current debacle of fucking both the economy and health. The US is STILL allowing returning travellers to quarantine at home voluntarily.
Because of the most piss fucking poor management ever seen by both countries. 

weta27

Super Anarchist

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
So I've been dwelling on the rule 16 interpretation by the umpires. I think I've switch back again to thinking it's not a great idea. So time to re litigate it ;)

I watched Vittorio's counter argument and from what I understood of it (his accent is tough) he was concerned that this interpretation was changing the game, specifically it will prevent what he called "fishtailing". I've got to watch it a few more times to understand exactly what he's saying.....

But while thinking about it, i did come up with another way it is changing the game in a small but significant way.

In a close cross situation, there has always been an area of doubt where it wasn't humanly possible to tell if a boat was just crossing or just failing to cross. I think the way the game had been played is that the benefit of that doubt has always been given to the ROW boat. If it wasn't clear that the KC boat was keeping clear, then they will have been penalized regardless of any subsequent change of course by the ROW boat.

But now the technology has removed all but a few cm of that doubt. They can precisely tell if a boat is or isn't across and thus the benefit of that no longer doubtful period is now given 50:50 between the boats. Half to the ROW boat for the precisely determined just not crossing cases; and half to the KC boat for the just squeaking across cases.

So while it may be accurate and according to the rules, it is a shift of the balance the game away from the ROW boat to the KC boat.

So previously if a cross looked doubtful, a near certain penalty awaited any attempt to do so. Now a boat can think there is a 50:50 chance of getting away with a dubious manoeuvre. That can't encourage safe decision making.
It seems the umpires have the telemetry to judge the distance in a cross to single figure metres. 

All very well. The helmsman or tactician does not have that luxury as there is no radar or boat to boat position information. So it is just a case of eyeballing. Not easy in a 40 knot boat with practically no view to leeward through the jib or the main. As we heard in the racing, there is the typical chat like "It looks like he is crossing."

Not ideal when the umpires were allowing Ben Ainslie to get away with some pretty tight calls. 

In the Match it will be interesting to see how the teams play it as the close calls are typical of the slower boat. The faster boat has no need to take risks as we saw with Jimmy giving Ben the benefit of the doubt in the Prada Cup. No need to risk damage.

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
Can someone tell me what the "bird" on the NZ sails is meant to represent?  It looks kinda like a red rooster
Not a bird, I think more like a swirling wave. As pointed out elsewhere,  very similar to the original Alinghi logo, maybe they used the same graphic designer.

NSP

Anarchist
Can someone tell me what the "bird" on the NZ sails is meant to represent?  It looks kinda like a red rooster
Fuck me, I've looked at these boats thousands of times and have only now just seen what you're talking about -  looks like the beak of a Kiwi.  I always assumed  that ETNZ had a licensing agreement in place to use the Carolina Hurricanes' logo :D

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Oh, no, you're mistaken. I understood your position. My argument is that the US and UK "lock-downs" were useless examples of such. Hence the current debacle of fucking both the economy and health. The US is STILL allowing returning travellers to quarantine at home voluntarily.
I don't think it's just returning US travelers coming home from covid exile.  It's US travelers going on vacation and returning home. And people from other countries. Finally they started asking for negative covid tests to get on the plane, but those have false negatives and you can catch covid in the airport as you board. Nobody checks on what you do at home afaik. #becausefreedom