AC36 - The Venue

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
The WORLD SAILING Racing Rules of Sailing AC Edition 2021
32 SHORTENING, ABANDONING OR TERMINATING AFTER THE START 
32.1 The race committee may shorten a course by reducing the number of legs to a course no 
fewer than four (4) legs or as specified in the sailing instructions for a Preliminary Regatta. 
A shortened course will be signalled via the RO Comms and indicate the leg that the 
shortened course applies to. The yachts shall finish at a finishing line between the staffs 
on the gate marks that end the leg signalled. 

Maybe there's more somewhere else, all is downloadable on the AC site.
Farcical. 

Thanks Renny. 

WetHog   :ph34r:

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Haven't we all been in a race thats shortened benefitting those that finish? Its just part of yacht racing so it seems fitting it happens in the cup too!

crashtack

Haven't we all been in a race thats shortened benefitting those that finish? Its just part of yacht racing so it seems fitting it happens in the cup too!
Imo the shortening should happen according to some quantitative metric - e.g. if the lead boat hasn't rounded the 2nd set of marks by 10 minutes or something, to make it less subjective.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
Serious question, have you sailed in or watched many regattas? The only reason I ask is because it's pretty standard in the sport. 
I sailed as a kid and raced with my dad.  That’s it.  I don’t consider myself a sailor though.  I’m just a fan of the AC for the last 30 years.   But, again, we are talking about the America’s Cup.  Not me and my dad racing on the South River on a Saturday afternoon.  How many America’s Cup races have been shortened because of TV restrictions?  Not talking about ACWS races or LV/Prada Cup races.  The America’s Cup?

I don’t like Prada Cup RR races being shortened but they are not elimination races so whatever.  But elimination races, especially in the Cup final, I think is BS.  Ultimately it doesn’t matter.  It’s in the rules. 

WetHog    :ph34r:

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
It did make a difference yesterday, allowing Ineos to win a race and a point instead of a DNF. 
And LR for that matter. And I think most neutrals who know about sailing would say they deserved it 

Seems odd to me that the elite should be protected from racing in conditions that beer can racers would consider normal. 

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
That's pretty normal, also for other regattas. Have witnessed it several times, moving marks and shortening courses after the race has started. Super strange for someone who is more at home in motorsports  ;) .
They actually should have done this with that super light wind race in SF, then ETNZ would have taken the Cup. [tinfoil hat on] I still wonder why that was not applied in that one race... [tinfoil hat off]

Edit: @kenergy beat me to it by a sec or so.
Meh, shit happens Rennie.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Seems odd to me that the elite should be protected from racing in conditions that beer can racers would consider normal.
What is ‘odd’ is that beer can racers are not racing in boats that are either On or Off, Foiling or Floating aimlessly. The boats are so different that the conditions should be too. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Or...the boats shouldn't be THAT different?
Sure, that’s open to debate but these boats ARE THAT DIFFERENT, there’s no debate to be had about that fact!  :)  

All 3 boats looked like crap floating around yesterday at times, nobody was a genius, it was a complete shit-show and it made these AC75’s look like a waste of time. 

Last edited by a moderator:

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Sure, that’s open to debate but these boats ARE THAT DIFFERENT, there’s no debate to be had about that fact!  :)  

All 3 boats looked like crap floating around yesterday at times, nobody was a genius, it was a complete shit-show and it made these AC75’s look like a waste of time. 
Meh, all boats turn into driftwood occasionally Stinger.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand

Oh FFS. At the end of the day, they're all sailboats. They all have hulls, masts, sails, foils and crew. They all need to harness the power of the wind in order to make it around the race course.

Its still a sailing contest. Its not like the sailors should just forget everything they know or have ever learned about sailing because they suddenly have foils instead of a keel.

Its all the same. A sailboat is a sailboat whether it has foils or not. It still needs to wind to enable it to get around a racecourse.

No wind makes any sailboat look like a shit show, including multihulls.

If you don't like it, Fuck off somewhere else! ShitGP apparently starts in April so piss off until then.

Last edited by a moderator:

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Stingers, I just had to like 4yourselves response to your post. Just think about how much shit you are talking that i would have to agree with him.

From transocean multis to beer can races to 49ers to oppies. We all sail in no win occasionally. These boats are no more different than that lot

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
 Thanks. A good roundup of all the contributing partners, including all the Kiwi companies..

These guys must also have a pretty good handle on all the national and international zones that have been geo-blocked.

Now that would be an interesting story!

Here in Auckland  i have multiple  digital and video choices that let me avoid TVNZ's heavily modified and "sweetened" coverage that is the kiss of death. When racing is on, all we get is mindless babble from local commentators, blotting out the boat audio.  And when no racing, endless mindless babble, interspersed -- thank the Sweet Baby Jesus -- by insights from the likes of Bianca Cook and Peter Lester.