AC36 - The Venue

Ex-yachtie

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
Well done New Zealand, you’ve put on a fantastic show.

Pic: Stuff.co.nz 

D032DBD8-5233-4C03-A29F-1104C938FE47.jpeg

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
From an Italian reporter:

- ETNZ’s rent on their present  premises has been extended up to 2022

- meanwhile, LRPP’s similar request for Hobson Wharf has been denied, they’ll have to relocate to Wynyard alongside the other Challengers

Hardly worth mentioning, in this context, that extension work on Hobson was unnecessary since the boasted number of AC36 Challengers did not materialize -  that amount should be backcharged to GD (and/or to gullible Government officers)

Last edited by a moderator:

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
From an Italian reporter:

- ETNZ’s rent on their present  premises has been extended up to 2022

- meanwhile, LRPP’s similar request for Hobson Wharf has been denied, they’ll have to relocate to Wynyard alongside the other Challengers

Hardly worth mentioning, in this context, that extension work on Hobson was unnecessary since the boasted number of AC36 Challengers did not materialize -  that amount should be backcharged to GD (and/or to gullible Government officers)
Let's be real though, have you EVER and I do mean EVER seen a public works project such as museums, conference centres, sporting events or sporting venues be shown to genuinely return the returns that were used to bullshit the public in the first place?

I sure as shit haven't and I'm not limiting this to NZ. Nevermind coronavirus, THAT is the true fucking pandemic.

Blitzkrieg9

Let's be real though, have you EVER and I do mean EVER seen a public works project such as museums, conference centres, sporting events or sporting venues be shown to genuinely return the returns that were used to bullshit the public in the first place?

I sure as shit haven't and I'm not limiting this to NZ. Nevermind coronavirus, THAT is the true fucking pandemic.
Not that I can think of. But here is the opposite. For a decade the people wanted this bridge built.  The government said it was too expensive and even with tolls would lose money forever. 

So some investors bought land on either side of the river AND BUILT A FUCKING BRIDGE.  It broke-even after like 6 years and has been raking in money for the last 20 years. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZKeXQDbRkRzDMMg76

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Not that I can think of. But here is the opposite. For a decade the people wanted this bridge built.  The government said it was too expensive and even with tolls would lose money forever. 

So some investors bought land on either side of the river AND BUILT A FUCKING BRIDGE.  It broke-even after like 6 years and has been raking in money for the last 20 years. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZKeXQDbRkRzDMMg76
That's great, but notice the one ingredient missing: government.

Not that I thought much of Reagan, but one quote oft attributed to him that I love is: "if the answer is the government, then it must have been a stupid question".

Blitzkrieg9

That's great, but notice the one ingredient missing: government.

Not that I thought much of Reagan, but one quote oft attributed to him that I love is: "if the answer is the government, then it must have been a stupid question".
Haha, that's great. Btw. That damed river, the Lake of the Ozarks, in Missouri...  has more shoreline than the state of California. Nuts. 

shebeen

Super Anarchist
I don't know about AC36 but I''m sure AC37 in Italy will be fantastic! Beautiful places, good food, friendly people. You will be all very welcome :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Seeing as Auckland won't be hosting for AC37, for shi1ts and giggles I came back to this thread.

It's really quite amazing that it's not the main option, and a condition of winning AC36 was to defend AC37 at the same venue to absorb more of the upfront costs with a repeat regatta.

Gladwell's Line - America's Cup returns to its new home and thinking

Emirates Team New Zealand's win in the 35th America's Cup ends 17-years of wandering in the AC wilderness and will open a new era of America's Cup, New Zealand and World Sailing.

"Stadium sailing not an imperative" "AC Class dictates base options"

http://www.sail-world.com/NZ/Gladwells-Line---Americas-Cup-returns-to-its-new-home-and-thinking/155103

A Viaduct Park: it could happen right now

The America’s Cup is going to sharpen up the city’s thinking about the waterfront, right? Like, why are there cars parked on Te Wero Island when there’s a perfectly good council car park building just over the road? Here’s a proposal from architect David Mitchell and pressure group Urban Auckland.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland/01-07-2017/a-viaduct-park-it-could-happen-right-now/

View attachment 241243

The City of Sails and Opportunities - How will Auckland rise to the challenge of hosting the America's Cup in 2021?

What the extent of those opportunities will be is open to debate, but for many, thoughts have already turned to what the future holds for the Cup and the city that will host it.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11883721

View attachment 241280

Jack Tame: My Cup runneth over.

Here's a crazy idea: We should use an event that rewards good design and innovative thinking with some good design and innovative thinking.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11884772

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
How big is your imagination? As big as you'll allow it to expand.

And the thing about dreams is they cost fuck all. We can all have them, if we can be bothered.

The funding to turn those dreams into reality? Ahh well... that's an entirely different question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiwing

Super Anarchist
Bay of Islands
NZ have Omicron in the community.  Here goes our interesting test, NSW 4 deaths per million per day.  NZ have 1/25th of a death per million per day so far.  What will it rise to?  With Paxlovid available to fight off death in the seriously ill we are entering the fight with better weapons everyday.

Go NZ!!

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
NZ have Omicron in the community.
Omicron runs wild, there's no stopping it. I went from not knowing anyone with covid, to everyone I know is getting covid. In Aus, we're in what they're calling a "shadow" lockdown, a voluntary lockdown where everyone is staying home, because no one wants to catch the bug. We're getting our highest infection and death rates of the whole pandemic. Our moronic leaders have really screwed the pooch. We've got significant supply chain issues, can't get RATs, the whole thing is a mess.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Rotfl about "shadow lockdown" ie NSW thinking it aberrant people stay away from places they think they have higher odds of catching it. Like indoors shopping and dining. Duh!  

Latest posts