AC40

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Call it greenwashing or what ever you want to call it. Its about reducing emissions. Producing EV's isn't green either, yet its the future. If you can produce a product with zero emissions, you can then go back and refine the manufacturing process.
But to say we can't build anything until we figure out a way to manufacture without harming the environment is just procrastination. Removing vehicles that produce emissions is the goal, because it must be the goal. Once that goal is achieved, refining the manufacturing process to make that process less harmful is the next goal. Too many people in here would rather nothing be done, and climate change prevention be put in the too hard basket so we can carry on living our lives of luxury and let someone else deal with it.
It’s greenwashing in every way, shape, and form. PERIOD. I’m perfectly fine with it. I work for Mercury and own lots of stock. Grant bought an awful lot of horsepower from us this year. Oddly, none of it was hydrogen powered.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
It's not the goal of an AC team to solve climate change. Good to know. Nice job on the mandate TNZ.

Nobody would have complained if TNZ mandated that each AC team were to spend $$$ on immediately available tech that would have real long-term benefits to the environment.

Still not getting the part about total impact on the environment and BS greenwashing. Take the blinders off - prevent a train wreck, save the planet.
View attachment 544454
Immediately available tech... isn't that exactly what the Chase Boat is?

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Maybe, But I’m not the one organising a billion dollar pissing contest that is doing precisely fuck all to help the environment.

to say it’s helping climate change is virtue signalling of the highest order
Thats what people said about electric vehicles, and now they're everywhere.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
The hydro mandate helped to secure the venue (barcelona) and works with and for long term sponsor toyota nz.
It's just business
It isn't the challengers' job to assist the defender's business. Nor are all of us delighted by the AC being construed as "business". It certainly isn't what Schulyer et al had in mind.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Thats what people said about electric vehicles, and now they're everywhere.
Potential market for electric vehicles (based on number of existing ICE vehicles) : 1.4 billion
Potential marked for fuel-cell powered foiling boats that need an ICE boat to follow on and do all the actual work like carrying sails, equipment, rescuing etc): 4 or 5?

So not enough benefit to offset the costs of the designers driving to the office, let alone anything else.

If YOU really cared about the environment rather than sucking up to Dalton's greenwashing, you would be doing something about why NZ is only 2 places better than China in the CO2 per capita stakes. Because these boats will make fcuk all difference to that

It isn't the challengers' job to assist the defender's business. Nor are all of us delighted by the AC being construed as "business". It certainly isn't what Schulyer et al had in mind.
I'm sure etnz appreciate the Challengers assistance in this respect, it may lead to a successful defense.
Likewise I'm sure most teams and their fans appreciate the time zones and proximity to home of a location like Barcelona.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Potential market for electric vehicles (based on number of existing ICE vehicles) : 1.4 billion
Potential marked for fuel-cell powered foiling boats that need an ICE boat to follow on and do all the actual work like carrying sails, equipment, rescuing etc): 4 or 5?

So not enough benefit to offset the costs of the designers driving to the office, let alone anything else.

If YOU really cared about the environment rather than sucking up to Dalton's greenwashing, you would be doing something about why NZ is only 2 places better than China in the CO2 per capita stakes. Because these boats will make fcuk all difference to that
Haters gon hate. Its good for the brand, the event, sailing and the environment. The AC has a global platform, 1 billion viewers if you believe the press release, which provides an opportunity to promote the event and the sport as an environmentally considerate sport, and that they're willing to contribute through innovation, to changing the way people involved in that sport think. People like YOU who think nothing the AC does is going to make a difference so they should just carry on the way they are and not worry about it because its too hard.
Adapt or die. And Team NZ are adapting. You on the other hand...

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I on the other hand that has adopted solar panels for electricity, and an EV, solar panels to heat the pool, recycling >90% of rubbish. Flights massively down.

Rather than creating a total pointless green washing vehicle, that still has the teams with as many petrol guzzling RIBS as they ever did. Look at this thread, almost everyone thinks it's a joke.
So stop hating on people truly changing and really change

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Haters gon hate. Its good for the brand, the event, sailing and the environment. The AC has a global platform, 1 billion viewers if you believe the press release, which provides an opportunity to promote the event and the sport as an environmentally considerate sport, and that they're willing to contribute through innovation, to changing the way people involved in that sport think. People like YOU who think nothing the AC does is going to make a difference so they should just carry on the way they are and not worry about it because its too hard.
Still waiting for the explanation that 1.4 billion is less than 16 million.. you know cos electric vehicles are “everywhere”

that's not hating it’s just hard fact

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
I’m just glad to see Grant following Larry’s and Russell’s lead yet again. It shows that even with his own little Antipodean Circus he appreciates good mentorship - if not with exciting racing, at least with environmental stewardship.

So build those funky little motorboats! And break those land speed records! It may have nothing to do with sailing but it’s definitely the requisite three rings every respectable circus needs.

I do have an honest question regarding this 40 as I’ve only been loosely following because of lack of interest. I understand there is a pretty robust AP on this thing? So in light of this dangerous crash (of which there will be many) - does the AP system mean the ladies and kids won’t really be sailing these boats? Just riding along?

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
If they were, 'just riding along' there'd be no 'dangerous crashes'.

AC40 working up out in the, Rangitoto Channel again this morning. Just headed off down to the back paddock.

Chase Zero isn't there. Maybe on a rinse cycle today?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
does the AP system mean the ladies and kids won’t really be sailing these boats? Just riding along?
The AP system will be engaged for the WAC and YAC events, yes. Not sure about for during the AC Team ACWS events.

There is a long but good video posted above somewhere, with one of the AC40 designers. Starting around 15 minutes into it he describes the roles on the boat and makes a convincing argument that for all 4 people, AP or not, it will be full-on.

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
Then what exactly is the AP doing/not doing in regards to boat control? I think that is a pretty important detail to understand the level of racing we are talking about here.

Just saw your post Stingers. I’ll suffer through that portion video to see what’s up. It certainly doesn’t sound “full on” in the true sense of the word. But judging by this crash in the hands of the best on the planet - I can see why the training wheels are needed For the ladies and punks.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Then what exactly is the AP doing/not doing in regards to boat control? I think that is a pretty important detail to understand the level of racing we are talking about here.

Just saw your post Stingers. I’ll suffer through that video to see what’s up.
Yes, it's a good listen. It was posted by me if you're looking for it.

Iirc he explains the AP controls only the flaps on the mains, and the rudder cant. And it is the sailors who are telling it what boat pitch and flight height they are trying to make it achieve. They also control the twist and camber of the mainsail using the boomless setup he describes, basically a ram on a track, plus whatever all else happens at 40+..

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
Rudder cant and flaps and main. Okay so it’s basically flying the boat for them. That’s what I thought. Kind of like the wand on a Waszp?

Last edited:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Rudder cant and main flaps. Okay so it’s basically flying the boat for them. That’s what I thought. Kind of like the wand on a Waszp?
Yes but a lot more sophisticated since they are telling the AP what attitude and pitch to do, changing those directives real-time. If they mess up, they will for sure nosedive!

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
It was in a recent AC40 'Recon' report iirc, where the article said they weren't sure when the AP was being used and when it was not. They also, again iirc, said that other teams had sent 'questions' to that ETNZ-chosen Recon team. Would love to know what those questions are, wish they would publish them.

Latest posts