Access panels for buoyancy tank

I’m building a 22’ daysailer with a fin ballast keel.  It’ll have buoyancy tanks in the ends.  
PLanning on using one of the plastic access panels such as Beckson, Bomar, Tempress...  in the bulkhead.  
Which brand do we like?

PaulK

Super Anarchist
Used Beckson on my kayaks. KISS.  In their written product description, Armstrong says no sealant, caulking, or fasteners are needed.  Their installation slides, however, show a caulk or sealant being used, as well as fasteners.  Does Armstrong's  marketing department talk to their operations people?  

andykane

Victoria, BC
Those slides show that other ports need sealant (left side is Armstrong, right is Beckson style).

With the Armstrong ports you literally cut a hole and you're done.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Those slides show that other ports need sealant (left side is Armstrong, right is Beckson style).

With the Armstrong ports you literally cut a hole and you're done.
I have an Armstrong plate that came installed in my fishing boat and because of the thickness of the cored deck in that area it was necessary to make a couple of angled notches to allow the locking arm to slide inside. The installer also sealed the core. So there was a bit more work to do beyond cutting the hole but not much.

That part of the deck is frequently awash but it's always dusty dry inside so I'm happy with the water tightness.

IStream

Super Anarchist
Whatever you do, just make sure you don't compromise the flatness of the ring the plate screws into. If the mounting surface is curved, make an epoxy bed for it.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
Used Beckson on my kayaks. KISS.  In their written product description, Armstrong says no sealant, caulking, or fasteners are needed.  Their installation slides, however, show a caulk or sealant being used, as well as fasteners.  Does Armstrong's  marketing department talk to their operations people?  
The world gave up talking to marketing departments years ago. Hours of your life you'll never get back.

Latest posts