ACM

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
This from VS:

http://twitter.com/valenciasailing

Mark Turner (Extreme 40 Series), is in Cartagena talking to all the TP52 teams. We hear he's the new CEO of America's Cup Race Management.

I think that would be major news, and one would have to believe EITHER the European cup rumor OR the multihull rumor. I am not saying which one.

Peelman

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
Could be something to this as the OC Group web site www.ocgroup.com is having their About, Services and Projects sections updated....this nothing there right now. Hmmmmm the plot thickens for the Right side of the globe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
This from VS:

Mark Turner (Extreme 40 Series), is in Cartagena talking to all the TP52 teams. We hear he's the new CEO of America's Cup Race Management.

I think that would be major news, and one would have to believe EITHER the European cup rumor OR the multihull rumor. I am not saying which one.
Sure would. He is, obviously, a gung-ho multihuller but his event experience could also make him good no matter the boat type.

MT ~is~ in Cartagena according to his own twitter and so that part is certainly true.

In Cartagena today, Spain, to check out the Audi MedCup. Hot, sunny, windy - nice!

It's funny, I read some quotes recently made by the other main Extreme Sailing guy (Dercksen?) and thought to myself: That might be a good ACRM guy! So would not surprise me at all, since they have turned that X40 series into about the hottest damn thing around.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
This from VS:

Renny - You asked for suggestions / requests... Whether or not this has happened, Mark Turner could be a fun interview for you in Kiel if you can get it. Other people I would enjoy hearing from include Loick Peyron; and Alinghi's Nils Frei, who will be trimming on the Groupama X40.

Maybe ask them for opinions about the possibility of winged cats in the AC, about if they have any experience sailing with wings, and about whether anyone has talked the possibility of winging any X40's?

Enjoy the Extreme Sailing in Kiel, it may have just gotten even better! :)

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
This from VS:

Renny - You asked for suggestions / requests... Whether or not this has happened, Mark Turner could be a fun interview for you in Kiel if you can get it. Other people I would enjoy hearing from include Loick Peyron; and Alinghi's Nils Frei, who will be trimming on the Groupama X40.

Maybe ask them for opinions about the possibility of winged cats in the AC, about if they have any experience sailing with wings, and about whether anyone has talked the possibility of winging any X40's?

edit: Oh, and ask Mark Turner, of course, if there is any truth to the rumor above; or if he has any interest. And ask Nils if he thinks there is a chance Alinghi may run another AC campaign.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
This from VS:

edit: Oh, and ask Mark Turner, of course, if there is any truth to the rumor above; or if he has any interest. And ask Nils if he thinks there is a chance Alinghi may run another AC campaign.
Will try to do... If nobody crashes the boat I'm on and my MP3 recorder gets drowned (you never know with these guys). ;)

Icecube

since they have turned that X40 series into about the hottest damn thing around.
Dude you're tripping. During Cowes week the focus was all on the 1851 Cup, and as a circuit the Medcup is way hotter. No one really gives a shit about the X40's, except when they drive them into walls.

I'm guessing you're on the 'big up the multihulls' support program like a true Oracle goon should be. I'd hate to be you sucker

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
since they have turned that X40 series into about the hottest damn thing around.
Dude you're tripping. During Cowes week the focus was all on the 1851 Cup, and as a circuit the Medcup is way hotter. No one really gives a shit about the X40's, except when they drive them into walls.

I'm guessing you're on the 'big up the multihulls' support program like a true Oracle goon should be. I'd hate to be you sucker
Yep - For ~me~ that series is about the hottest thing around. Lots of people feel that way.

And yes, I do happen to be on the 'multihulls for AC 34' bandwagon as my preference, but am actually happy either way it goes. If you are stuck on mono's, and it does go mh's, then... I'd hate to be you, sucker ;)

The point of this thread if there is one, is that if Mark Turner really has been chosen for ACRM's CEO position then that could be suggestive.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
I will tell you in the next couple of days how the X40s come across for a mono lover with slight sympathies for multis ;) . So actually I see it exactly opposite to SR, I'd like the next AC competed for in monos, but if it goes multis - so what (shrug), the Cup will survive, I will survive, and we all will have a lot of fun either way.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
I will tell you in the next couple of days how the X40s come across for a mono lover with slight sympathies for multis ;) . So actually I see it exactly opposite to SR, I'd like the next AC competed for in monos, but if it goes multis - so what (shrug), the Cup will survive, I will survive, and we all will have a lot of fun either way.
Bingo, sounds good.

My optimistic SWAG as of these days is an 80% chance they go Muti's, and an 80% chance they can go SF. Assuming those numbers then .8x.8 gives a 64% chance we are headed to Multi's in SF. For me that is a big :)

The boat type debate has been argued by some with religous fervor. But the two polls here on this particular forum showed about 58% - 42% in favor of multi's.

For me the venue is actually as important, if not more. And I hope that at least 80% of fans will be happy with that city choice, meaning - hmmm what is the math, assuming venue is as important as boat type - that most people would be satisfied with an AC in SF regardless the type. I expect that those who are not yet familiar with SF would soon realize that... it is a very cool venue! A lot more fun to visit for the aside-from-AC attractions too, than what Valencia is.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
Somewhere else (lost the link) is a mention of a TO sailor re-joining LP's Oman team for this event.
fwiw, excerpt from here

--

Joining Masirah in Kiel and for the rest of the season will be TeamOrigin, British America’s Cup sailor David ‘Freddie’ Carr. He has had to miss the first two installments of the 2010 Extreme Sailing Series due to his Team Origin commitments.

Skipper of Masirah, Loick Peyron, is pleased to have his full crew back together. 'It will be great to sail as a complete team again and to have Freddie back for the rest of the season. For us, the result at Cowes was a little disappointing, and to come to Kiel as a complete team, the aim is to finish on the podium.'

--

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
I am an ardent Mono supporter for AC34, but shit like below is starting to grow on me. ;)

359adk8.jpg

Photo taken by Christophe Launay

WetHog :ph34r:

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
I am an ardent Mono supporter for AC34, but shit like below is starting to grow on me. ;)

Photo taken by Christophe Launay

WetHog :ph34r:
I am not a hundredth of a photographer as Christophe, nevertheless, I'll like to share the exploits of my evening stroll with you. The newcomcers Audi went practicing almost until dark.

/monthly_08_2010/post-20594-038478400%201282764425_thumb.jpg

/monthly_08_2010/post-20594-047087600%201282764427_thumb.jpg

/monthly_08_2010/post-20594-088037000%201282764423_thumb.jpg

/monthly_08_2010/post-20594-097400800%201282764457_thumb.jpg

/monthly_08_2010/post-20594-021916600%201282764456_thumb.jpg

Saaaaaaad! :(

/monthly_08_2010/post-20594-048982700%201282764462_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 2

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
^ Thank you for the pics!

For those of us who are Kiel-challenged, a map. Renn, is it about a 300 mile trip for you? And can you pinpoint the site location for us?

/monthly_08_2010/post-17804-010508600%201282778424_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• KielGermany.jpg
    KielGermany.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Even at the risk of starting another "travel diary" here, I'm glad to oblige and send a bit of venue info.

Yes, it's about 330 miles away from home. The actual courses are interesting. They are on the Kieler Förde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_Fjord), a fjord of the Balitc Sea that reaches deep into the city. Like a river it is rather narrow => good viewing opportunities for the spectators, "dangerous", spectacular races. At least I hope so. Last year the X40s had at least three major crashes, IIRC. NASCAR - HHN92 would love it!

/monthly_08_2010/post-20594-040904900%201282808806_thumb.jpg /monthly_08_2010/post-20594-019911900%201282808810_thumb.jpg

Today we will start with the press conference, followed by some press day racing. I hope I will get a spot on a boat as 5th (wo)man, but I don't know if a- there are enough places available, b- I am brave enough.

The weather looks rather dull, yesterday's storm is gone, and for today the forecast says 2-3 knots, bit of rain and 64F (18°C).

Attachments

• course.jpg
    course.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1
  • arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
Even at the risk of starting another "travel diary" here, I'm glad to oblige and send a bit of venue info.

Yes, it's about 330 miles away from home. The actual courses are interesting. They are on the Kieler Förde (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Kiel_Fjord), a fjord of the Balitc Sea that reaches deep into the city. Like a river it is rather narrow => good viewing opportunities for the spectators, "dangerous", spectacular races. At least I hope so. Last year the X40s had at least three major crashes, IIRC. NASCAR - HHN92 would love it!
Does that mean they throw 'caution' flags and have pit stops? :blink: I'll grab my floor jack and air wrench.

This multi-hull stuff may not be so bad after all..................................

Have a good time Renn, and don't apologize for your photo ability, those above are good.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW
Today we will start with the press conference, followed by some press day racing. I hope I will get a spot on a boat as 5th (wo)man, but I don't know if a- there are enough places available, b- I am brave enough.
Wow - B-Brave enough, Renn! That would be one awesome ride... Fingers crossed for you....

roca

Anarchist
italy
Any financial expert knows if there is some derivative funds (futures) on X40 sailor's future earnings (let's say 3 years wages)?

Renn, do the guys around look as if they are going to multiple their earnings in short? I think they should...

Latest posts