Added an homemade bowsprit on my etchell

Fred from montreal

montreal
Hi guys, i have an old etchell i'm mainly solo sailing and i just added a bowsprit to fit a brand new 55m asymetrical spinnaker with topmast halyard.

I know its a pretty extreme makeover but i will be using the asymetrical in low wind only (10knt max)

I installed side wire on top of the mast to support it, reinforced the deck with fiberglass and fitted a metal plate under the hull to take the lift load.  I also have 3 points of attachment on deck with plates to spread the side load with 3/8 bolts.

Any opinions on the subject?  Please dont be shy, i know its pretty unusual ;o)

a3.jpg

a4.jpeg

a5.jpeg

a6.jpeg

a8.jpeg

a9.jpeg

a10.jpeg

a11.jpeg

a12.jpeg

a13.jpeg

a14.jpeg

aa.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
With the length and beam of that fine boat, you could have probably skipped the sprit, but I think you’ll have fun and you overbuilt/ overkilled the buildout, so it should be fine. 

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Although going synthetic would be a better solution, I’ll offer a suggestion that doesn’t cost anything. Take the bobstay off and turn it around. There’s no reason to be dragging that big turnbuckle through the water. 

221J

CT
Flying a spinnaker from a sprit makes the sail more stable because it is further from the main. Worth the effort. 

Fred from montreal

montreal
Although going synthetic would be a better solution, I’ll offer a suggestion that doesn’t cost anything. Take the bobstay off and turn it around. There’s no reason to be dragging that big turnbuckle through the water. 

It'a good suggestion, tought about it but i was afraid the sail got stuck on the turnbuckle (could have rig taped it)

Still it attaches itself a little higher than the floating line and i sail flat water

ccc.jpeg

Fred from montreal

montreal
Flying a spinnaker from a sprit makes the sail more stable because it is further from the main. Worth the effort. 

We discovered that a J-70 spin fits our Columbia 5.5 meter perfectly. No mods, other than a tack line needed. 

View attachment 509878
Tought about it but having the sail on top of the mast and 7 feet further make a much bigger sail.  Was a lot of work still to install.