Adding thickness to a thin laminate edge

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
The cover that goes across the aft end of my cockpit is getting some TLC this winter.

New non skid on the top and some fresh gelcoat for the sides & edges.
But the edges are really thin, they've already split and cracked in a few places, and I'd like to add some more material to stiffen the edge up & give it a fighting chance.

Current thought is grind the inside & some of the flat back to bare glass & just use strips of chopped strand to bulk it out. Kind of seems wasteful of resin though.
Any better ideas, foam former to glass over or something?

20220928_171528.jpg

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
If you are having a problem with the edge delaminating, then you'll want to wrap some woven cloth around the edge to stop that from happening. It's be extra work, but it would be a good time to do it because you can hide the wrapping under the gelcoat and paint.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
The cover that goes across the aft end of my cockpit is getting some TLC this winter.

New non skid on the top and some fresh gelcoat for the sides & edges.
But the edges are really thin, they've already split and cracked in a few places, and I'd like to add some more material to stiffen the edge up & give it a fighting chance.

Current thought is grind the inside & some of the flat back to bare glass & just use strips of chopped strand to bulk it out. Kind of seems wasteful of resin though.
Any better ideas, foam former to glass over or something?

View attachment 543554
Is there enough room in the “grooves” that hold it in place for the cover to not sit proud or bind if you thicken the edge?

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
It doesn't sit in a groove, but on a ledge, so actually a thicker edge will help there as well.
Right now with the engine ticking over it vibrates like hell & I have to shove a sponge under it! I tried a gasket, but the edge being thin, it cut through it within a few weeks.
I guess I could use G10, but its not super available in the UK, and I'd have to make it up from multiple small strips as A4 paper size is about the biggest you can get. (affordably)

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Get a roll of light glass "cloth" tape - the finely woven fabric - and just start laying it down. Any cracking should be stopped by the increased laminate.

I'd use 10 Oz. for a job like that. Pre-cut the strips and lay them wet on wet for faster work - heat won't be a problem on a small job like that.

antiussentiment

Perth
whats wrong with grinding through the flow-coat on the inside, adding more layup (just 450 gsm chopped strand and regular polyester resin) with a brush. Trimming it while it's green. Then sanding and re-flow-coat?

Each layer of that 450 gsm mat adds about 1.5mm of thickness.

You could use a woven tape I guess. But it's not structural so why bother when you can work choped-strand so much more easily into curves etc ?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
If weight or thickness isn't an issue - use csm

If you want to fix the cracking of the edge because it's not strong enough, some thin woven tape (I'd use 2 or 3 layers of 6 oz because it will take the curve better)

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
Cheers for the suggestions.
I'll avoid G10 as i'll be putting gelcoat on it afterwards.
Looks like CSM is the way to go.

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
TAP plastics has this stuff specifically for building up thickness. I got some because it looks cool but have never used it.

A30B2781-ED25-4136-8068-5270BBECFAC0.jpeg

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
I'm halfway through using CSM now, so its moot.
Not sure I'd use coremat on a boat anyway, its basically just a big resin sponge.

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
Full of micro balloons, seems perfect, but moot. I guess I’ll report back if I find an excuse to use some.

View attachment 544992

Hmm, apparently the Lantor stuff is Lloyds approved as well.
To be honest I read a thread somewhere on the Hull Truth years ago and while I can't remember the content, my takeaway was that it wasn't suitable for boats. Maybe I'm misremembering.
I've already done the first few layers of CSM, just waiting on some more resin as I'd forgot how much the matt used.

Latest posts