Adding weight

Monkey

Super Anarchist
What do the class rules say?  Some classes are very specific as to corrector weight locations. 

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
The "best" place would be as close to the center of mass as possible. That will dampen or at least not increase the rocking and pitching moment. That being said, some more modern classes, like the ISSA require the weight to be distributed so the boat passes a "swing" test where when the boat is swung or twisted while suspended maintains a certain amount of momentum. I can't remember the physics but if a good percentage of the weight is centralized, the boat will not swing or spin as much as it would with the weight spread out.

Many put the weight at the base of the mast because it is easy to do so.

neuronz

Anarchist
europe
How much weight are we talking? Center of mass has benefits concerning dynamic motion, low center of gravity usually helps with stability. It could also be used to change static trim or heel if there is need/desire for it.

sailhmb

half moon bay
Sorry I should have stated no actual boat, therefore no class rule weight placement restriction.  This is just a "what if" question; if you had to add weight, where would you put it, center of mass or righting moment?  if you need some specificity then a 200kg boat and 10kg of weight.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Sorry I should have stated no actual boat, therefore no class rule weight placement restriction.  This is just a "what if" question; if you had to add weight, where would you put it, center of mass or righting moment?  if you need some specificity then a 200kg boat and 10kg of weight.
Keelolboat put at bortom of keel. Centerboarded put wjere tom says

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Don’t know your project 

but when adding trim ballast I find that molding the lead into Triangle shaped bars is the most efficient way to lay the ballast into the curved inner hull between frames

the lead bars are commonly called Toblerones after the chocolate bar 

use a length of the appropriate size steel angle iron as a mold , then cut the lead bars to length with a hand saw 

12873A17-5039-432B-9F2F-F721EC29EF3E.jpeg

DC2BCCC9-962F-4161-9B0E-E607BA3E1BA7.png

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
How you enjoy The Weight depends  on the boat:

E Scow: Bring the Band 

Snipe- Turntable

Ensign—— Reel to reel

Laser-  Eight Track 

J-24-  Cassette

Melges 24–  CD

RS AERO- Bluetooth 

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
If its a ballasted boat then add it to the ballast, if its an unballasted boat then don't add weight unless class rules force you to, in which case as close to the centre of pitching as the rules permit.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
If it's a dinghy you sail it flat, so adding weight the board has no righting benefit and causes all sorts of issues with fitting and managing the board.