Advice please for Yanmar Newb

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
I’m going to start a new to me Yanmar sail drive for the first time. I’m slightly embarrassed to admit I’ve never done this before and I’m looking for any advice for things to do or not do. 

I’m assuming that I don’t need glow in the summer. The directions make a reference to not over cranking. 

Anything else to look out for? Is it otherwise just like starting a car?

Any wisdom is appreciated. 

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
Starting is usually simple. 3/4 throttle, in neutral, and crank away.

But when you are done, pull the kill knob, wait for the engine to stop and buzz at you.

Then, and only then, turn the key to off. Otherwise you might need a new alternator.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
the "no over cranking" is so that you don't burn up your starter motor. 

make sure your battery is fully charge and up to the task. 

Make sure you have fuel and not water in your fuel separator!

just out of curiosity, which engine is it?

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
Thanks for the sage advice guys. The motor is a 2YM15

BTW, the excessive cranking warning had something to do with the water lift muffler. 

DougH

Always check the engine oil level and top it off before starting, i.e., don't wait for it to show a quart low. Keep the oil at the full mark.

After starting always check that the sea water pump is functioning by looking for water being expelled out the exhaust.

When shifting the gearbox, only do so with the engine at minimum RPM (idle).

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Fleetwood said:
Yes, if you overcrank you may fill the waterlift muffler, then the cylinders......

I've also had a 2YM15 for about a year now, seems to be a nice engine. Only concern so far is that it doesn't have oil pressure and water temp gauges, only warning lights. Apparently this can be rectified by replacing the switches with proper senders as the control panel will read them - a future job.
And not a big job at all.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Starting is usually simple. 3/4 throttle, in neutral, and crank away.
I don’t thing the “throttle” has any effect during cranking our Diesel engines. Typical injection pumps are, by design, at 100% fuel when cranking regardless of the control position. So the “throttle” setting is only effective after running. 

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
Keep in mind the saildrive has it's own oil. They are sensative to the proper type and grade. The saildrive oil level is checked with the filler cap/dipstick sitting on top of the drive, not screwed in. 

You do not mention if it is a brand new motor, or new to you. If brand new there is a break in protocol, read your manual. If used and there is any question about recent maintence I would change motor and drive oil, raw water impeller, and all filters sooner rather than later, it is cheap insurance.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I don’t thing the “throttle” has any effect during cranking our Diesel engines. Typical injection pumps are, by design, at 100% fuel when cranking regardless of the control position. So the “throttle” setting is only effective after running. 
Then why does Yanmar say "full throttle" in the manual?

My 2GMF has a lot of trouble starting other than WOT.

So did my other 2GMF

So did my 3GMF

So did my YSM8

Full throttle till it lights then pull it back.

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Maine, USA
The manufacturer says give it some throttle, as does the guys at Mack boring. It certainly works better on my 3gm

DougH

The manufacturer says give it some throttle, as does the guys at Mack boring. It certainly works better on my 3gm
Correct. A diesel has no throttle. Most gasoline engines have that. A diesel has a fuel governor with a control lever. Yanmar says to set it at MEDIUM SPEED for normal starts. In cold weather set it at HIGH SPEED position but immediately set it to LOW SPEED after the engine has started. I find that a warmed up engine can be started with the control lever set at or near LOW SPEED.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Then why does Yanmar say "full throttle" in the manual?

My 2GMF has a lot of trouble starting other than WOT.

So did my other 2GMF

So did my 3GMF

So did my YSM8

Full throttle till it lights then pull it back.
Don’t know why they would advise that. It is not how the governors work. My manuals say the fuel rack is at full fuel in the start condition. So makes no difference while cranking. 

DougH

My manuals say the fuel rack is at full fuel in the start condition. So makes no difference while cranking. 
That may be so for some makes/models diesel engines. That is definitely not the case for the Yanmar marine diesels I'm familiar with. As in the Yanmar will likely not even be able to start (first start of the day, especially in cool or cold weather) unless you set the fuel governor to medium or high.

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
You'll get a feel for what speed position to set once you've started the engine a few times. My 2GM will start at idle speed in the summer or when it's already warm but needs full speed when it's -5C. I don't have glow plugs and I also need to set a fast idle after it's started (1200-1500 RPM) until it gets some heat into it when it's cold out.

jamhass

Anarchist
Then, and only then, turn the key to off. Otherwise you might need a new alternator.
In my experience, this is incorrect.  Turning off the key kills the field, which kills the output of the alternator, leaving it in a "safe" condition.  Disconnecting a running alternator from the load (battery) is what kills the diodes, as the power then has nowhere to go and the voltage rises too high for the diodes. 

blunted

Super Anarchist
Toronto
My 4 cyl Yanmar prefers that I apply throttle when starting. Cold out?, give her, hot out?, half way throttle. As soon as it fires I back it down to idle and give it a minute to compose itself.

Yanmars want to come up to proper operating temperature for optimal performance so it's not the end of the world to give it a little extra before you put her into gear. It may take 15 minutes of running kind of hard to actually get to that OPTIMAL temperature. You can run it as less than optimal and that's ok, it's just not optimal.

Once you get her going, put some load on it and let her rip. All diesels prefer to work hard. So feed her what she wants. you need to get over 1500 rpm to kick in the alternator and before you shut it down it's a good idea to rev her up to 3000 to blow the carbon out before you shut it down.

Yanmars are awesome, but don't baby it, put the spurs to her.

Latest posts