After 27 years, a well-traveled 1885 schooner back in the sea

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
And that negates my statement of the case, how exactly?
Why did you feel the need to duplicate what was already understood? This is what happens when a denizen of Politcial Anarchy wanders in to sailing related forums. Stay over there where you can confuse yourself and get into a tizzy over things like USA crude exports to China and India. And if Rudy Giuliani uses Kiwi shoe polish on his hair.

you're tired of making a fool of yourself and losing arguments, so you bring the same bullshit over here?
To make new friends?

Peter Andersen

Anarchist
The aforementioned short was part of a longer series documenting the restoration of another well known yacht, the Coastal Queen by Macmillan Yachts in Portsmouth RI. Other sailing stuff focuses mainly on Barnegat bay racing and boat building. All of is well shot and produced…. A wonderful divergence from “WE BOUGHT A BOAT!!!”
Very cool series. I recall the P.O. s family tried to sell the Queen for about $600kwhen he died.
$100k for the history and $500k for the rotted wood I guess. Nice the new owners are spending a fortune on the restoration.

@last

Anarchist
I was part of the original group that met with Tim Murray and his father, Captain Murray, aboard Coronet in Gloucester more than 40 years ago, starting the long relationship that would, ultimately, bring the ship to Newport with the possibility of a new life.

Of the four of us from Newport, I am the only one left, which gave me an odd feeling as I watched her being lifted into Newport Harbor a few days ago. Tom Benson, John Mecray, and Bob Tiedemann have all passed over the bar in the years since then.

Stepping aboard Coronet back then, even in her diminished condition, was to step back in time to the Edwardian era of immense wealth and conspicuous consumption.

The irony is that it was a humble group of Christian missionaries that kept the ship alive for so many decades. Without their stewardship, Coronet would have been lost to history, as virtually all of her contemporaries have been.

I just hope to live long enough to see her sail again.
From memory ages ago, I think Mecray was an artist and had paintings of the boat that the school sold to try and raise money for the restoration. I may be misremembering all of that, but from memory they were very nice looking works of art.

accnick

Super Anarchist
From memory ages ago, I think Mecray was an artist and had paintings of the boat that the school sold to try and raise money for the restoration. I may be misremembering all of that, but from memory they were very nice looking works of art.
John Mecray was one of the bast marine artists of the last 50 years. He had works commissioned by any number of yachtsmen, as well as by the NYYC. Google his stuff.

He did a series-produced print of Coronet at one time.

Peter Andersen

Anarchist
John Mecray was one of the bast marine artists of the last 50 years. He had works commissioned by any number of yachtsmen, as well as by the NYYC. Google his stuff.

He did a series-produced print of Coronet at one time.
Yes he is a favorite. You know quite a bit abut Mecray. As if you married his widow or something.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Yes he is a favorite. You know quite a bit abut Mecray. As if you married his widow or something.
I'll go with "...or something."

John Mecray and I were good friends for years. We were both founding directors of the Museum of Yachting, as well as the Classic Yacht Regatta.

Last edited:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I was invited to Tom Benson's house for dinner after finishing a Trans-Atlantic race. I think SHAMROCK was at the IYRU at the time and Tom offered to take me on a tour of the facility a couple of days later. He said I might be a good candidate for a position at the Institute and mentioned the upcoming project on CORONET. I asked what made me good fit for such a position and he told me that Elizabeth Meyers was the biggest benefactor of the IYRU and the time and she had a penchant for long haired, bearded sailor boys who were also marine joiners and he tried to set me up with a blind date with her! That scared me off...

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I was invited to Tom Benson's house for dinner after finishing a Trans-Atlantic race. I think SHAMROCK was at the IYRU at the time and Tom offered to take me on a tour of the facility a couple of days later. He said I might be a good candidate for a position at the Institute and mentioned the upcoming project on CORONET. I asked what made me good fit for such a position and he told me that Elizabeth Meyers was the biggest benefactor of the IYRU and the time and she had a penchant for long haired, bearded sailor boys who were also marine joiners and he tried to set me up with a blind date with her! That scared me off...

Wow, you get around... we knew that already!
But what's so scary? She seems nice!

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Wow, you get around... we knew that already!
But what's so scary? She seems nice!
1670700574507.png

accnick

Super Anarchist
When Tom Benson died of a heart attack in 1987, Shamrock had recently been acquired by the Museum of Yachting in Newport.

Elizabeth Meyer was deeply into the restoration of Endeavour at that time, having bought the boat --or what remained of it--as a near-hulk at Calshot Spit in 1984. She went through several different project managers in those early years of the Endeavour project, as few people believed she could ever get it done, and sometimes put a lot of obstacles in her way.

That was their mistake. She did get it done, with a lot of help from Royal Huisman.

It was a phenomenal undertaking.

John Mecray and Elizabeth Meyer were co-founders of IYRS (then known as the International Yacht Restoration School) in Newport in 1993.

John died in 2017.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Yeah nick,

That story of dinner with Tom was in the summer of 1986 and Elizabeth was just breaking up with her boyfriend/manager of the moment and Tom thought I might make a good replacement. I stand corrected in that Tom Benson was the head honcho on Newport Museum of Yachting and the IYRS was later. Here is a good article on Elizabeth and Endeavour.

1670707217519.png

accnick

Super Anarchist
Yeah nick,

That story of dinner with Tom was in the summer of 1986 and Elizabeth was just breaking up with her boyfriend/manager of the moment and Tom thought I might make a good replacement. I stand corrected in that Tom Benson was the head honcho on Newport Museum of Yachting and the IYRS was later. Here is a good article on Elizabeth and Endeavour.

View attachment 559098

And that's John Mecray standing behind her. That photo is aboard Shamrock before her restoration, I believe.

Last edited:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
And that's John Mecray standing behind her.
Didn't Elizabeth have a bad auto accident shortly after that photo? I know she had some brain tumor problems for a lot of her life but she sure was a ballsy gal back in the day. I'll have a look for her YAACHTING magazine spoof. She had just done that when I got to know Tom Benson.

This was my favorite and I had just met the guy who owed the Newick Tri BARBARA ANN and he told me he was not too happy with Elizabeth the editor. She had given him the inflatable sex doll and asked him to pose for the photo and promised to airbrush out the actual boat name...

1670709424594.png

accnick

Super Anarchist
Didn't Elizabeth have a bad auto accident shortly after that photo? I know she had some brain tumor problems for a lot of her life but she sure was a ballsy gal back in the day. I'll have a look for her YAACHTING magazine spoof. She had just done that when I got to know Tom Benson.

This was my favorite and I had just met the guy who owed the Newick Tri BARBARA ANN and he told me he was not too happy with Elizabeth the editor. She had given him the inflatable sex doll and asked him to pose for the photo and promised to airbrush out the actual boat name...

View attachment 559103
I can't remember Elizabeth's car accident, but by 1987 I had stepped away from the Museum and a lot of other things to concentrate on building my own boat.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Of the four of us from Newport, I am the only one left, which gave me an odd feeling as I watched her being lifted into Newport Harbor a few days ago. Tom Benson, John Mecray, and Bob Tiedemann have all passed over the bar in the years since then.

The marine artist?

NEVERMIND, I finally caught up on the thread. I have two of his works on my wall. Such a talented artist.

Last edited:

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
The marine artist?

NEVERMIND, I finally caught up on the thread. I have two of his works on my wall. Such a talented artist.

Pretty sure we had some of his framed prints in my Real Estate office a couple of decades ago. Someone was going door to door of local businesses selling them and we bought several. Beautiful creations!

1672066316816.png