After buying our first boat with no experience, we're now on our 4th episode - learning by doing

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
“You’re shouting at me!” 
“I’m not! I’m telling what to do”

Meanwhile, the Captain is belowdecks preparing tea and the mate appears to be preparing to heave to against the Captain’s command.

3B0E9AB3-49BE-44A7-96C6-9B54B17ECDCE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Mate appears to have hove to whether the Captain approves or not and is a stubborn little bastard to boot! At least he will get his tea. If it were me, it would be rum and the lash for you!

In all, that video is tough to watch since you don’t have the patience to listen or follow direction. You have youth on your side so that may change, but you might wind up giving your Captain a stress related heart attack.

pS, the Captain wanted both sails on the same side of the boat the way everyone else sails.

14182681-2CB6-4898-940D-0421A0AA00A6.jpeg

2D35A00D-BAB1-4810-A763-2AFEC84AB8BF.jpeg

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere
In this video we cover tacking, and also leaving the dock with our boat under sail, a new experience for us

Some how I don’t think Sailing Anarchy is your target audience. Not sure what you will have to offer this demographic but wish you all the best in you attempts to join the sailing fraternity

mathystuff

Anarchist
Ask some more experienced guy at the dock to come with you and give some advice for an afternoon. Offer beer.

SailingNovice

Mate appears to have hove to whether the Captain approves or not and is a stubborn little bastard to boot! At least he will get his tea. If it were me, it would be rum and the lash for you!

In all, that video is tough to watch since you don’t have the patience to listen or follow direction. You have youth on your side so that may change, but you might wind up giving your Captain a stress related heart attack.

pS, the Captain wanted both sails on the same side of the boat the way everyone else sails.

View attachment 510105

View attachment 510106
You're right, this was filmed a while ago and its already painful to look back on.  But It will serve as a log to remember for the future

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Good to hear! I sailed with my Dad for years and we won many races. Sometimes we argued like you guys, but we knew what we were doing and really wanted to do better in the race. 

However, he didn’t like to sail for recreation and I hope you guys enjoy your time together. Please only post a video of your best performance, my eyes are going to take some time to heal. I’ll post a video below that shows how to be a real sailor. Many of the regulars here are familiar with it and should skip it, but it is important to watch. Then you will be like us. We’ve all been there.

SailingNovice

Good to hear! I sailed with my Dad for years and we won many races. Sometimes we argued like you guys, but we knew what we were doing and really wanted to do better in the race. 

However, he didn’t like to sail for recreation and I hope you guys enjoy your time together. Please only post a video of your best performance, my eyes are going to take some time to heal. I’ll post a video below that shows how to be a real sailor. Many of the regulars here are familiar with it and should skip it, but it is important to watch. Then you will be like us. We’ve all been there.
Only making videos of the best performances is an option of course, but then it wouldn't be authentic :) .  I want these videos to capture the good and also the bad.

In an attempt to be a real sailor I have watched your video, twice actually, but now I think my own eyes need healing, and ears too.

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
I did, too, but we never argued.  We often discussed tactics but were always able to come to agreement amicably.  Those were some wonderful times that I cherish.  Damn, I am getting teary....I miss my Dad so much.

You Bastard!

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Welcome aboard! :D

@unShirleyMy Dad is still around at 90 and when we sailed together you could hear him all the way down bay! Even if we were in the lead by a mile with 20’ to the finish line. Everyone had a good laugh though! Those were the days

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
You're right, this was filmed a while ago and its already painful to look back on.  But It will serve as a log to remember for the future
Please tell me more. More specifically I'd like to hear about what kind of sunglasses you have found to be the best for sailing.