After buying our first boat with no experience, we're now on our 4th episode - learning by doing

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
You should raise the mainsail tighter on the hoist. You do not want those scallops along the leading edge as outlined in pink. When the sail is hoisted tight enough, the scallops will disappear along with the wrinkles radiating from the slides (wrinkles shown in red).

You should not let the sail cloth flutter -- it will drastically shorten the life of the sail. If it's too windy to pull the sail in enough to stop the fluttering, you need to "shorten sail", also called "reef" The reef points are in green, The larger grommets (also called cringles) at the front edge of the sail (the "luff") and rear edge of the sail (the "leech") are what matters. The smaller grommets between the two main grommets are merely for tidying up the loose cloth. The drawing below shows how to reef. You might need to install additional hardware on the boom and mast.

raising_and_reefing_the_main_03_640px.jpg

reefing_741px.jpg

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
Parma was just  joking around with the group here and I did start a thread about sunglasses!
You are being too kind. Waaaay too kind.

I was going to tell him that he is the joke here but then I remembered hanging under the bow of a trailer sailer that I had too enthusiastically pushed off the bunks, kicking hard to get aboard but finally resigning myself to my fate and dropping off into the cold waters of Narragansett Bay fully clothed. We all gotta start somewhere.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Hmm... it occurs to me that I have no idea how to measure how many "episodes" I've had.  Or how to tell when one has started or ended.  :huh:

Perhaps a new episode begin every time the doctor prescribes a different medication?  Or maybe that's the ending.

Svanen

Super Anarchist
Whitby
It is absolutely possible to teach yourself how to sail. Trial and error - aka kinaesthetic learning - eventually gets the job done.

On the other hand, RYA training courses are fairly inexpensive, provide a much more efficient way to learn, and will avoid bad habits and knowledge gaps.

SailingNovice

You should raise the mainsail tighter on the hoist. You do not want those scallops along the leading edge as outlined in pink. When the sail is hoisted tight enough, the scallops will disappear along with the wrinkles radiating from the slides (wrinkles shown in red).

You should not let the sail cloth flutter -- it will drastically shorten the life of the sail. If it's too windy to pull the sail in enough to stop the fluttering, you need to "shorten sail", also called "reef" The reef points are in green, The larger grommets (also called cringles) at the front edge of the sail (the "luff") and rear edge of the sail (the "leech") are what matters. The smaller grommets between the two main grommets are merely for tidying up the loose cloth. The drawing below shows how to reef. You might need to install additional hardware on the boom and mast.

View attachment 511086

View attachment 511087
Thanks for your drawing and explanation.  I didn't even notice the wrinkles.  Looks like there's still a lot to improve at.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Not sure what the big deal is, we bought our first boat after a one week course.

50ft of steel, chucked the kids onboard and left. First offshore was 1200Nm. Much more fun than making videos.

Each to their own I guess.

SailingNovice

Not sure what the big deal is, we bought our first boat after a one week course.

50ft of steel, chucked the kids onboard and left. First offshore was 1200Nm. Much more fun than making videos.

A one week course for a 50ft boat at sea? I would have enjoyed watching that video.

Startracker

Van Isl.

Right?  The first proper sail I had was a garbage boat with a foul bottom and unreliable... Everything.  on a sketchy 3 day straight sail.   Funny in hindsight but absolutely no way would I post the video evidence for you fuckers to critique, a few photos where things looked ok sure.   I was embarrassed enough at the time knowing anyone  seeing it in person would know how shit I was doing.  I did beat Rimas on which side of a sail goes up but that was it. 

Though I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall for your first hmm.... Wtf do we do now moment.  

Gissie

Super Anarchist
A one week course for a 50ft boat at sea? I would have enjoyed watching that video.
No time take videos, even if we could have afforded the gear. To much fun to bother with that. Was back in the day when you had to find the local phone company and book a time for an international call to let people know you were okay.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Though I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall for your first hmm.... Wtf do we do now moment.  
Was lucky on the first trip, Auckland to Christchurch. 70knots off Cape Palliser, didn't know enough to be worried.

Many sailors spend their life wondering what it will be like in rough weather. Ticked that box early. Unfortunately ticked it a few more times. None are pleasant, but still here.