Air Force Pilot Screws Up - Wrong Airport

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Well it's a good thing it was a C17, they can take off on a pretty small amount of runway for their size.  Impressive sound on the jet engines.  They were designed for small and rugged runways.  And they can go in reverse so they don't need any special handling on the ground.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Think I read somewhere it takes more runway to take off than to land. A cub doesn't matter but it might make a diff with the really big AF cargo plane. I can fly one but unsure about the other.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
image.png

Windward

Super Anarchist
Doesn't this sort of thing happen with some regularity?

Or perhaps the burritos in the food court are better?

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
That provided a lot of hilarity here a couple of years ago.  As I recall they had to strip everything out of the plane including most of the fuel and gun it to get the plane off the ground.  DIYC is right under the runway so there was some nervous boat owners at the time.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Wrong airport mapped.  The one you want is Peter Knight airport located to the NE of MacDill on Davis Island.  But jeez, how'd those Jersey boys mistake a 3600 foot general aviation runway for a roughly 11000 foot runway loaded with military a/c.   Hope it's not a career ending landing.
Punchline to classic Cajun Airlines joke - man dat runway sure is short, but it's really wide.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Just be happy those pilots were navigating a cargo plane and not a bomber!  

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
Wrong airport mapped.  The one you want is Peter Knight airport located to the NE of MacDill on Davis Island.  But jeez, how'd those Jersey boys mistake a 3600 foot general aviation runway for a roughly 11000 foot runway loaded with military a/c.   Hope it's not a career ending landing.
You sure? there was a fire truck with Tampa International Airport on the side of it in the video... Knight would make more sense, since the runways are oriented more similarly to McDill... They each have a "22"

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Well it's a good thing it was a C17, they can take off on a pretty small amount of runway for their size.  Impressive sound on the jet engines.  They were designed for small and rugged runways.  And they can go in reverse so they don't need any special handling on the ground.
That’s my baby!  Spent 10 years on the program. Fun times. 

And it’s an amazingly capable craft. They once put an Orca in the trunk and flew to a beach on an Icelandic fiord. Got the fish to the water but found a boulder with a main gear. No prob, we shipped them a new one and our RAMS team installed it on the beach.  All in a days work.  

Last edited by a moderator:

On The Hard

Super Anarchist
San Antonio
Corpus Christi has a naval air field not too far from the airport. I think a Continental 737 landed there by mistake once. They had to bus everyone off to take off again because the runway was too short. 

(They aren't as close as this looks...)

image.png

Gangbusters

Anarchist
Chicago
I was wondering if they let the pilot continue after landing at the wrong strip, or did someone else get that duty?

Latest posts