Alex Jones Just Lost

hobie1616

Super Anarchist
West Maui
Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 12.18.07 PM.jpg

badlatitude

Super Anarchist

CNN: Alex Jones' texts have been turned over to the January 6 committee, source says​

Alex Jones' texts have been turned over to the January 6 committee, source says

(CNN)Approximately two years' worth of text messages sent and received by right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones have been turned over to the House select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection, a person familiar with the matter told CNN on Monday.

The messages were handed over to the committee by Mark Bankston, the attorney who represented two Sandy Hook parents who successfully sued Jones in Texas and won nearly $50 million in a civil trial that concluded last week.

Bankston would only tell CNN that he is "cooperating with the committee." The select committee declined to comment.

Nice!

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
Those September hearings are going to be a real hoot, aren't they bullshitters?

The DOJ and the J6 committee have previously announced that they are sharing all their evidence with each other.

I speculate that this evidence was intentionally leaked to the plaintif's attorney by somebody in the defence attorney's office, specifically because of the J6 evidence that it contained. And that it will prove to be significant far beyond the civil case of Alex Jackass.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
The DOJ and the J6 committee have previously announced that they are sharing all their evidence with each other.

I speculate that this evidence was intentionally leaked to the plaintif's attorney by somebody in the defence attorney's office, specifically because of the J6 evidence that it contained. And that it will prove to be significant far beyond the civil case of Alex Jackass.
His attorney is going to lose his ticket over that…and get a great book deal out of it, if he doesn’t get murdered first.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
His attorney is going to lose his ticket over that…and get a great book deal out of it, if he doesn’t get murdered first.
You think he'll lose his ticket? It's not like he's inciting a violent insurrection> Aside from which, I'd bet there are at least a couple of CYA cards he's holding.

IIRC, during the trial the "mistake" of sending the entire contents of the phone was attributed to a paralegal on the defense side.
That's also what I remember. During exchange of info for discovery.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
You think he'll lose his ticket? It's not like he's inciting a violent insurrection> Aside from which, I'd bet there are at least a couple of CYA cards he's holding.

That's also what I remember. During exchange of info for discovery.
Yup. If he made a conscious decision to hand over his client’s phone because he saw criming on it, I think he would be jammed up.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Does that have any implications for the use of that information in a criminal proceeding against Jones or anyone else?
None that I can see. It’s a shame that the Dropbox number didn’t make its way into the record, where a FOIA request would make it public. I suspect an ongoing criminal case WOULD have implications for that.

I would be shocked if the DOJ were not digging through that phone as we speak. If the committee had it and did not turn it over right away we’d hear a spokesman doing a veritable Borat “naughty naughty” to pressure the committee.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Yup. If he made a conscious decision to hand over his client’s phone because he saw criming on it, I think he would be jammed up.

I had the impression that attorneys were officers of the court, and that definite/positive knowledge of crimes other than the one(s) they are defending the client for, are NOT privileged.