Alex Jones Just Lost

bowman81

Super Anarchist
Australia
Seems he's decided to STFU rather than get a contempt charge.

From Australian ABC:

American conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has decided not present any defence at a defamation trial in Connecticut, over how much he should pay for promoting the lie that the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax.

The jury is being asked to decide how much Jones should give the families of eight victims and an FBI agent who all testified they have spent almost a decade being targets of harassment by those who believe the shooting didn't happen.

Jones was found liable by default last year for defaming them and intentionally inflicting emotional distress.

His lawyers rested without putting on evidence or witnesses on Wednesday, after attorneys for the families wrapped up their case.

Jones's lawyers had earlier indicated they would have him testify on Wednesday to bolster his arguments that the damages awarded to the plaintiffs should be minimal.

But Jones said he would likely be held in contempt if he took the stand again, because the judge would not allow him to say he is "innocent".

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
But Jones said he would likely be held in contempt if he took the stand again, because the judge would not allow him to say he is "innocent".
Is this an argument for an appeal?

I hope that guy gets buried deep enough that nobody ever hears his poisonous vitriol ever again. Is 6' enough?

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
If memory serves, this was Bullshitter Jones’ damages trial. He defaulted at the liability phase. So he is liable, it’s just a question of how much damages get dumped on him. He tried to make a shitshow of it, but his opportunity to claim innocence passed without a peep from the manly man, and the Judge was not going to let him have another crack at it, though she was waaaay too permissive and completely lost control of her courtroom from what I saw.

So if he doesn’t want to put on a defense, they can do closing arguments and send it to the jury.

The key is whether Bullshitter Jones really is the smartest guy in the room in terms of hiding assets and claiming bankruptcy. He is certainly letting it all ride on that. So far, I get the impression that the plaintiffs’ attorneys have seen that trick before.

bowman81

Super Anarchist
Australia
These lawsuits haven't made a bit of difference in his attitude
He just continues to spout the same stupid shit. I hope he dies a penniless tramp in the gutter

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
If memory serves, this was Bullshitter Jones’ damages trial. He defaulted at the liability phase. So he is liable, it’s just a question of how much damages get dumped on him. He tried to make a shitshow of it, but his opportunity to claim innocence passed without a peep from the manly man, and the Judge was not going to let him have another crack at it, though she was waaaay too permissive and completely lost control of her courtroom from what I saw.

So if he doesn’t want to put on a defense, they can do closing arguments and send it to the jury.

The key is whether Bullshitter Jones really is the smartest guy in the room in terms of hiding assets and claiming bankruptcy. He is certainly letting it all ride on that. So far, I get the impression that the plaintiffs’ attorneys have seen that trick before.

Is there any way the court can take away all his money, everything he owns, assign his media company to the victims' families (maybe a trust) and set it up so that every penny he "earns" by spouting further hateful bullshit goes to them?

The only money he should be allowed to keep is his paycheck as a manual laborer. Preferably at the sewage plant.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
If, like me, you only heard the clown speak in court, here is an example of him transparently lying. The gullibility of his market is amazing, edit. I’ve only seen a couple videos by this gear head and am not necessarily a fan, but it does avoid clicking on Jones.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist

Jury reaches decision in Sandy Hook trial that will determine how much Alex Jones should pay for lies about the massacre​

CNN Business — A Connecticut jury has reached a decision on how much far-right talk show host Alex Jones should pay eight families of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims and one first responder, capping a wrenching weeks-long trial that put on display for the public the serious harm inflicted by the conspiracy theorist’s lies.

The decision marks the culmination of a years-long process that began in 2018 when the families took legal action against Jones and his company, Free Speech Systems, the parent of the fringe media organization Infowars. Jones baselessly said again and again after the 2012 mass shooting, in which 26 people were killed, that the incident was staged, and that the families and first responders were “crisis actors.”

The plaintiffs throughout the trial described in poignant terms how the lies had prompted unrelenting harassment against them and compounded the emotional agony of losing their loved ones. Plaintiffs in the trial included family members of eight school students and employees, in addition to one FBI agent who responded to the scene. The three cases were all condensed into the single trial.

Christopher Mattei, an attorney for the plaintiffs, urged jurors to award at least a half a billion dollars for having permanently mangled the lives of his clients. The figure, he said, would represent the more than 550 million online impressions Jones’ Sandy Hook lie allegedly received online. “You may say that is astronomical. It is,” Mattei said. “It’s exactly what Alex Jones set himself up to do. That’s what he built. He built a lie machine that could push this stuff out. You reap what you sow.”

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/12/media/alex-jones-sandy-hook-damages/index.html

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Damages keep rolling in. At this rate it’s going to be $1B +. Bring back debtors prison!

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Damages keep rolling in. At this rate it’s going to be $1B +. Bring back debtors prison!
You hit the nail on the head.

Live Updates: Alex Jones Ordered to Pay Sandy Hook Victims’ Families Nearly $1 Billion​

A jury in Connecticut awarded damages to the families of eight victims killed in the 2012 shooting and an F.B.I. agent who responded to the scene. Jones had already been found liable for defamation after he spent years falsely describing the shooting.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
You hit the nail on the head.

Live Updates: Alex Jones Ordered to Pay Sandy Hook Victims’ Families Nearly $1 Billion​

A jury in Connecticut awarded damages to the families of eight victims killed in the 2012 shooting and an F.B.I. agent who responded to the scene. Jones had already been found liable for defamation after he spent years falsely describing the shooting.

Can you imagine the damage award TFG's Big Lie might elicit? Astronomical.....