Alex Thomson (Hugo Boss) Makes it Emotional for the BWR 2010

Don't worry love, he'll peobably be back sooner than you think :p
lol, He does seem to love capetown, maybe she should just buy a flat there....

On a serious note tho hope he makes it this time, hell of a boat too. Tho why did he go for the ex pindar boat? was it a rule change after it that stoped such a powerfull boat being made again? or was it just a "good" boat? cause for the amount of money spent on the refit I heard he could have had a new boat designed and made? or is that just a roumer.

Soley

Super Anarchist
The ex pindar boat is grandfathered in and is deemed to be the most powerful Open 60 out there. With the refit she does look like you can put your foot down in some of the toughest places on earth. I just hope the rest of the boat is as beefy as the hull.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Now I understand why it's so emotional.

From here: http://barcelonaworldrace.org/en/actualite/news/detail/alex-thomson-s-happy-event-0-4894

<h1 style="text-transform: uppercase; font-size: 26px; color: rgb(0, 38, 99); font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; font-weight: normal; "></h1>

Alex Thomson's team have confirmed a very happy event which is due to happen within the first few days of his second Barcelona World Race.The British skipper and his partner Kate Denham are expecting their first born which has a due date of 4th January. So although Alex is expecting to have a three months wait to meet his first born child, he will have an added incentive to make the finish line off Barcelona as quickly as possible.

Alex said: “I’m over the moon about the prospect of becoming a dad. The timing really isn’t ideal as obviously I’d love to be present at the birth, but it’s given me another reason to focus hard on getting home as quickly and safely as possible.”

One of the advantages of the the state of the art video conferencing equipment on HUGO BOSS and the Barcelona World Race fleet is tat , the most powerful in its class, has been Alex will be able to stay in contact with Kate during the race and this should be how he’ll first set eyes on his baby.

His partner Kate commented: “It’s certainly a different way to be introduced to your new baby, but I’m behind Alex every step of the way. The Barcelona World Race is unfinished business for him after coming second in 2008 and we’ll both be cheering him on all the way towards the finish line.”

Speaking on his chances in the race, Alex, from Gosport, England, continued: “My co-skipper Andy Meiklejohn and I are confident in our abilities as a team and in our boat, HUGO BOSS. We’re approaching the race with a degree of caution as this is the boat’s first time in race conditions in its new form, but we share a common vision and we’re very optimistic about the challenge ahead.

“Regardless of the outcome, I know I’ll still feel like a winner when I see Kate and the baby, but if we’re first to the finish line it will be an incredibly special victory.”

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Perhaps with a crew member to get Alex to ease off at the right times he may finish this one, really hope so as I don't know he can sustain another DNF.

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
Perhaps with a crew member to get Alex to ease off at the right times he may finish this one, really hope so as I don't know he can sustain another DNF.
Agreed, but he had a crew member in the last race, and he had to stop off, and had to retire in Transat, so doublehanded doesn't seem to rein him back too much.

On another note, has there been any news on Mike Golding recently? He lost his sponsor and unfortunately there hasn't been alot happening with him since....

Across the Pond said:
Agreed, but he had a crew member in the last race, and he had to stop off, and had to retire in Transat, so doublehanded doesn't seem to rein him back too much.

On another note, has there been any news on Mike Golding recently? He lost his sponsor and unfortunately there hasn't been alot happening with him since....
Stops were allowed in the last BWR so long as you spent 48 hours in port. I think Paprec was the only boat that did not stop. Hugo Boss finished second and I think a fair bit of that was down to Capey's influence. Fair point about the Transat - was that due to a split ballast tank or something? Can't remember

As for Mike Golding - his mentor Jorgen Philip Sorensen died this year and he was the main driving force behind the Ecover and Group 4 sponsorships. He was chairman of Group 4 and owned Ecover. Ecover backed him in the 2010 Extreme 40 series and Jean Le Cam is racing his boat in the BWR with sponsorship from President. No idea if he has any money for the Vendee but hope he does. Have a huge amount of respect for him.