Alinghi Challenge AC37

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
As cute as the Oracle /Red bull F1 thing is, just because the name is on the car when are you all going to assume that esso, Honda, Citrix etc are all now going to sponsor Alinghi in the AC

its the same leap of logic.. 

companies are capable of having single channel sponsorship deals. 

Yes INEOS own 1/3 of the F1 team but the boat isn’t carrying the same sponsor package as the F1 car 

Not sure who would hate to see that happen more, Ernesto or Larry.

Anyway, someone needs to photoshop that onto Alinghy when time comes, but please don't tell anyone!
The entire F1/AC overlap is way overhyped.  End of the day F1 makes money - that's where the resources are going to go.  AC is a few wealthy guys distributing their wealth.  F1 got smart - hide their people inside AC Teams. 

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
The entire F1/AC overlap is way overhyped.  End of the day F1 makes money - that's where the resources are going to go.  AC is a few wealthy guys distributing their wealth.  F1 got smart - hide their people inside AC Teams. 
Don't know about Alinghi but with Jim owning both I think they will put a lot of resources from F1 into AC. Colocation is more evidence of that. They wouldn't give up space at Brackley lightly

Don't know about Alinghi but with Jim owning both I think they will put a lot of resources from F1 into AC. Colocation is more evidence of that. They wouldn't give up space at Brackley lightly
With Jim owning both it makes it easier for him to muddy the spending caps.  Sure he wants to win both but if it comes crunch time in F1, then AC takes a back seat. 

Alinghi will need time to integrate

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
That’s the thing,

Jim owns both an F1 team and an AC team 

red-bull put their name on a boat. 
At the Alinghi presser when EB and others announced their AC37 entry, the RB guy did speak at some length and (yes, remotely, but) expressed significant interest and involvement. It surprised me. He also alluded to the possibility Ferrari might also get into the AC, which suggests he was reasonably well clued-in. 

Gissie

Super Anarchist
At the Alinghi presser when EB and others announced their AC37 entry, the RB guy did speak at some length and (yes, remotely, but) expressed significant interest and involvement. It surprised me. He also alluded to the possibility Ferrari might also get into the AC, which suggests he was reasonably well clued-in. 
Or just making shit up to stir the pot.

I wonder what his Anarchy name is...

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I disagree with you here. The Brits announced James Allison as Technical Director for their AC37 Cup Campaign. You don't do things like that just for fun.

Dan Bernasconi, the Design Head of ETNZ has a F1 Background too.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Ok. In simple terms does Christian Horner, who works for Red Bull, own the team? No

he is employed to run the F1 team and was wheeled out as a mouthpiece as they wanted someone to up the ante with the F1 redbull/Merc narrative.

dietrich mattaschitz OWNS RedBull and was no where to be seen

CH clued in about Ferrari? A man with nothing to do with the ac until a few weeks ago is aware or specific contact dealings between Prada and one if his F1 competitors? WTF? 

jim owns 1/3 of the F1 team and Owns INEOS as well as the AC team there is a huge difference, literately he has a voice at board level and can steer company direction and investment 

Cristian just picks up a pay cheque. 

Wolkenzug

Munich, GER
Formula One introduced a budget cap in the past and the budgets are still getting smaller every year. The big teams like Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari are struggling to stay under that budget cap with all the man power they have. 

I think these cooperations with AC teams are welcome and wanted from the F1 teams because they can use their manpower and technology without having people let go but at the same time fulfill the F1 budget restrictions because the remaining budgets are not used for F1 but for the AC.  

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Ok. In simple terms does Christian Horner, who works for Red Bull, own the team? No

he is employed to run the F1 team and was wheeled out as a mouthpiece as they wanted someone to up the ante with the F1 redbull/Merc narrative.

dietrich mattaschitz OWNS RedBull and was no where to be seen

CH clued in about Ferrari? A man with nothing to do with the ac until a few weeks ago is aware or specific contact dealings between Prada and one if his F1 competitors? WTF? 

jim owns 1/3 of the F1 team and Owns INEOS as well as the AC team there is a huge difference, literately he has a voice at board level and can steer company direction and investment 

Cristian just picks up a pay cheque. 
I agree with you here!

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
dietrich mattaschitz OWNS RedBull
Thanks for the correction.

Who knows what the 'sponsorship' agreement is but RB is certainly the headline one in Alinghi Red Bull Racing and so there must surely be some kind of serious commitment. And it does make better sense, technology-wise at least, than Alinghi's previous headline sponsor, UBS.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
my idea is that this off course helps Alinghi, so what's in it for RB? well, the F1 has a budget cap to spend on aero, parts, which carbon weave flexes when and how much, and testing for breaking strength of parts development. which is basically why they cooperate with the America's cup. as these things can be tested there safely outside of the budgetcap. because you are not allowed to spend more, doesn't mean you don't have more money to spend. Money is a plenty...

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
Formula One introduced a budget cap in the past and the budgets are still getting smaller every year. The big teams like Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari are struggling to stay under that budget cap with all the man power they have. 

I think these cooperations with AC teams are welcome and wanted from the F1 teams because they can use their manpower and technology without having people let go but at the same time fulfill the F1 budget restrictions because the remaining budgets are not used for F1 but for the AC.  
this!

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Sheer line you mean? They ain't what they used to be, that's for sure.

These days sheers are all cut away to reduce windage and shed water. They're commonly also reversed (accomodating next to no hull rocker, in flatter and slightly deadrised planning hulls). 

My layman's understanding, of course ;-)
Ahh back in the days of sheer beauty reverse or otherwise…

48254C89-15FA-4EC1-90C2-60C3DC30D826.jpeg