All Is Lost: a review.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
I probably would have taken the the time to see it, but Redford using his position in life most recently calling out folks that he does not agree with racists, means no $ from me for his work.
I like the way you think and have also noted the absurdity of certain high visibility people in Hollywood and in politics complaining about the lack of civility from those they disagree with, while simultaneously hinting or even outright stating that these same people must be racists, which to me is just about the most un-civil name you could call someone. The problem is that if I boycotted all of the silly gooses in Hollywood in Washington who very routinely engage in and support such behavior, the list of movies that I could see would dwindle to almost none, and if I included news outlets that attempt to further that stereotype, I would only get one side of every issue. So, while I just don't take anyone seriously who makes such hateful statements about someone or a group of people, I also don't boycott them. To do so would be to both limit my own entertainment and news options, and give them more credibility than they deserve. After all, why should I care in the least what ANY person whose area of expertise is singing or dancing or pretending to be someone else thinks about any issue outside of what they have become expert in? If someone stuck a microphone in the face of a noted economist and and instead of asking about his area of expertise, was willing to pretend that his thoughts on dance steps or acting talent were any more valid than the average man on the street, we'd all see it as absurd and a waste of time. But for some reason, actors and other entertainers seem to feel qualified to hold forth on subjects they know almost nothing about and much of the press gives them way more credibility than they deserve. It's a very odd phenomenon but not limited to Redford.

So where does that leave us with the outspoken anti-LGBT author Orson Scott Card and the upcoming Ender's Game?

jtsailjt

I hope most who disagree with Obama have reasoned differences, but the visceral hatred some folks have for Obama isn't simply ideological difference...
...and I hope most who agree with Obama have reasoned agreements, but the visceral adulation some folks have for Obama isn't simply due to ideological agreement. Why does the assumption so frequently seem to be that racism cuts only one way?

Of course there are still racists of every stripe in this country and that should be an embarrassment to each and every one of us, but ONE side seems to think it's their birthright to point fingers and call racism when they have no proof whatsoever that a disagreement is anything but over legitimate policy differences. If more of an attempt were made to understand the viewpoint of political foes, rather than attempting to libel them with accusations of something as hateful as racism (or communism), we MIGHT occasionally come to agreement that would be good for all of us.

IStream

Super Anarchist
I think Card is a dick but my 10 year old kid liked his story and asked me to read it so we could discuss it together. I liked it and plan to see the movie with my boy too. In addition to bringing a father and son closer together, Card also prompted a discussion about why he doesn't think our lesbian friends, who my son adores, should be able to get married. Now there's one more young person coming up who'll help relegate Card and his ilk to the dustbin of history thanks, in part, to Card himself. I'd call that a win-win. You think Card would rather have the royalties he'll get from me or the world he prefers? He's not gonna get both.

jtsailjt

...and don't forgot all those "hateful racists" who insult my WASP heritage by talking about "welching" on their bets! Boo hoo hoo.....HTFU!

If you are Welsh, you are not an Anglo Saxon, you are a Celt. Just sayin'. B)

I just KNEW that somebody would put it all together about my WASP great, great, great, grandmothers virtue and who she might have chosen to allow to come visit when her hut seemed so cold and lonely! I guess I should admit that I'm actually part Celt, part Anglo, and part Scottish, basically a mongrel, so does that mean I can't still be horribly offended whenever I overhear someone mention welching on their bet or do you have to be 100% Celt to qualify to be sensitive to this horrible slur?

pogen

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
So where does that leave us with the outspoken anti-LGBT author Orson Scott Card and the upcoming Ender's Game?

I've read several of his books and also heard him talk about his career and writing in general, and it hard to connect either with his stated political views.

From the interviews he sounds like a smart, reasonable guy, very interesting and engaging. He has also taught a lot. And several of his books would lead one to think he is a bleeding-heart liberal. Yet the opposite is the case! Go figure.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Wess:

"And why should anyone care what you think?"

Exactly! Fuck. That's my point. Nobody should care about what I think about politics. Except me. If I was a brilliant industrial leader or a seasoned diplomat in foriegn policy it might be different. But I'm a yacht designer. Robert Redford is a movie actor.

Dixie

Reporters
SF
Re Racism: I don't think Clean is getting all PA on us, I agree. And I could outline all of the places it's come up, but this is a movie review thread.

Re Movie: Hmm. I left the movie really upset. The idea that a man that age could leave people who love him to pursue his dream and not have what seem to me the basic safety equipment and seamanship skills was preposterous. I was upset because I thought that Hollywood had blown a chance to show what sailing is all about.

Then I read the reviews. And then I thought about what sailing is all about. It IS about preparation, it is about survival, it is about solving problems. And there is usually something I forget when I go sailing. So it's realistic to think that he wasn't perfectly prepared. Obviously he was grossly unprepared, but most people don't know that. And what they do see is his battle with life, his systematic approach to fixing problems, and his frustrations about the problems.

For stranger in a strange land movies - the third of this type of movie in this 2013 Oscar season - the skill is in showing how the protagonist is struck by his or her unusual surroundings and how they dealt with it. In the case of Sandra Bullock and Robert Redford, they were basically all alone. With Tom Hanks, he had kidnappers. I'll be interested to see where the awards go. Personally I thought Tom Hanks pulled off an incredible performance. RR did all his own stunts and at 70 something years old, that's pretty incredible.

So hindsight, and stepping back from the basic sailor frustrations, is helping me realize the movie was challenging for me, which I like. And it will make for some good YC convos over the holiday season.

Cheers y'all. And sail safe.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
I hope most who disagree with Obama have reasoned differences, but the visceral hatred some folks have for Obama isn't simply ideological difference...
...and I hope most who agree with Obama have reasoned agreements, but the visceral adulation some folks have for Obama isn't simply due to ideological agreement. Why does the assumption so frequently seem to be that racism cuts only one way? Who said it does? Someone else entered racism into the thread as a topic, that's all.
Of course there are still racists of every stripe in this country and that should be an embarrassment to each and every one of us, but ONE side seems to think it's their birthright to point fingers and call racism when they have no proof whatsoever that a disagreement is anything but over legitimate policy differences. If more of an attempt were made to understand the viewpoint of political foes, rather than attempting to libel them with accusations of something as hateful as racism (or communism), we MIGHT occasionally come to agreement that would be good for all of us.
Agreed.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
jt:

Racism is the easy argument. Of course it exists. I live on an indian reservation. But to be used as the knee jerk argument against everyone who disagrees with our President when you are ducking the real issues is really pretty short sighted in my opinion.

I happen to be a huge, huge, huge fan of Dr. Ben Carson. He's black. But race has zero to do with what I think of Dr. Carson.

How can I be anti Obama because he's black and pro Carson when he is black?

I look at the man and what he does. Then I form an opinion.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
And you are like 30 or 40 or 50 or 60% of America, which is to say, not racist. Then there's the rest.

My point was merely to agree with Redford's about Obama and racism as brought up by some tea party/redford boycotter at the beginning of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Nice try Clean but I'm not buying it. You used a damn big brush painting your argument originally. Now you are doing the walk it back thing.

I'm not keen on people who barely know me trying to paint me with any brush.

But Ok, I'll take you on face value. No problem here.

jtsailjt

jt:

Racism is the easy argument. Of course it exists. I live on an indian reservation. But to be used as the knee jerk argument against everyone who disagrees with our President when you are ducking the real issues is really pretty short sighted in my opinion.

I happen to be a huge, huge, huge fan of Dr. Ben Carson. He's black. But race has zero to do with what I think of Dr. Carson.

How can I be anti Obama because he's black and pro Carson when he is black?

I look at the man and what he does. Then I form an opinion.
I couldn't agree more on both counts. Broad brush accusations of racism are too often used as a substitute for a valid argument against someone on the other side of the political fence, and I too think that Dr. Carson is awesome. Anyone who has never heard him speak is missing out on something pretty special, and if they disagree with him, they can't exactly call him a racist!

NoStrings

Super Anarchist
Richmond, CA
That's just your opinion Alan and way too general. You cannot popssibly know that. Silly conjecture in my opinion.
Oh come on, you of all people cannot possibly be that fucking naive. Have you ever seen a WHITE president asked repeatedly to prove his citizenship? No, I thought not.

Latest posts