All Is Lost: a review.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
I guess the fundamental question is - will it scare the crap out of my family if they see it? Or can I tell them we are better prepared and always have more people on board so someone is always awake on watch...

Probably some time before we get a chance to view it.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Strings:

Now you are painting with a very broad brush and I can tell you for sure it does not work. It's very easy to do but it is stupid.

Do Not assume! You do not know me and you sure as hell do not know what I think. If you think you do then you are ignorant and you are very comfortable displaying your ignorance.

You have no ikdea what I think.

That's just your opinion Alan and way too general. You cannot popssibly know that. Silly conjecture in my opinion.
Oh come on, you of all people cannot possibly be that fucking naive. Have you ever seen a WHITE president asked repeatedly to prove his citizenship? No, I thought not.
I don't want to wade into the rest of this argument, but:

It's been a while, but the name you're looking for is Chester Arthur. He was repeatedly accused of being Canadian (over birth location, not race). A fairly obscure president serving from 1881 to 1885, but there you go.

And the Democrats, back in 1967, had objections to Romney's father because the guy was born in Mexico (over birth location, not race). Not elected president, obviously.

And today, among the allegations against Ted Cruz (other than jackassery) is the question of whether his particular brand of citizenship qualifies as "natural born" per the 14th amendment. It probably does, but this doesn't come up often, not that he'd ever make it far enough for it to become a serious issue anyway.

Americans are quite xenophobic on occasion, but the race thing is flexible: depending on time it can be the Italians, Irish, Japanese, Chinese, Blacks, Mexicans, Canadians, you name it.

romaine

Super Anarchist
That's just your opinion Alan and way too general. You cannot popssibly know that. Silly conjecture in my opinion.
Oh come on, you of all people cannot possibly be that fucking naive. Have you ever seen a WHITE president asked repeatedly to prove his citizenship? No, I thought not.
I don't want to wade into the rest of this argument, but:

It's been a while, but the name you're looking for is Chester Arthur. He was repeatedly accused of being Canadian (over birth location, not race). A fairly obscure president serving from 1881 to 1885, but there you go.

And the Democrats, back in 1967, had objections to Romney's father because the guy was born in Mexico (over birth location, not race). Not elected president, obviously.

And today, among the allegations against Ted Cruz (other than jackassery) is the question of whether his particular brand of citizenship qualifies as "natural born" per the 14th amendment. It probably does, but this doesn't come up often, not that he'd ever make it far enough for it to become a serious issue anyway.

Americans are quite xenophobic on occasion, but the race thing is flexible: depending on time it can be the Italians, Irish, Japanese, Chinese, Blacks, Mexicans, Canadians, you name it.
I was just about to post this from wikipedia:

"The family's frequent moves later spawned accusations that Chester Arthur was not a native-born citizen of the United States. When Arthur was nominated for Vice President in 1880, a New York attorney and political opponent, Arthur P. Hinman, initially speculated that Arthur was born in Ireland and did not come to the United States until he was fourteen years old. Had that been true, Arthur would have been constitutionally ineligible for the Vice Presidency under the United States Constitution's natural-born citizen clause.[10][c][11] When Hinman's original story did not take root, he spread a new rumor that Arthur was born in Canada. This claim, too, failed to gain credence.[11]"

Romain

sidmon

Super Anarchist
Chicago
And you are like 30 or 40 or 50 or 60% of America, which is to say, not racist. Then there's the rest.

My point was merely to agree with Redford's about Obama and racism as brought up by some tea party/redford boycotter at the beginning of this thread.
Hey Clean...

First off...

I am "mixed-race"....

And one of those "Southern White Trash" folks that has no like for Obama or his policies that are wreaking havoc on this country.

Fuck YOU for that RACIST statement.

Lived in Sanford Florida back in the sixties as a kid. Just a bike ride away from what was then an orange grove but is now the ghetto-ish townhouse complex where Trayvon was shot.

As mine was the darkest face in an otherwise lilly white world, I can wax eloquent about the subtle, and not so subtle, aspects of racism...and the inbred jerks who revel in it.

With that "white trash" statement, and the further broad brush crap you've spewed here, its obvious that you are right up there with some of the worst of that ilk pal.

FWIW...the worst actual racism I ever encountered was in Middletown RI....Next worse was in Alameda Calif.

Lastly the most intolerant xenophobic assholes around today are the elitists like Redford.

But I will probably go see the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just about to post this from wikipedia:
I suppose I should clarify what I meant. Racism clearly exists, and some of the people throwing allegations against Obama are obviously racially motivated.

Ignorant racists these days are to be watched but in my opinion mostly not a huge threat on the national political level, which is not to say that I mean to dismiss the very real threat they pose on smaller scales in a political or even immediately physical sense.

As Dylan said, though, ignorant racists are useful tools for others pulling the strings even if the puppetmasters have other motivations and goals in mind; "He's only a pawn in their game."

NoStrings

Super Anarchist
Richmond, CA
Strings:

Now you are painting with a very broad brush and I can tell you for sure it does not work. It's very easy to do but it is stupid.

Do Not assume! You do not know me and you sure as hell do not know what I think. If you think you do then you are ignorant and you are very comfortable displaying your ignorance.

Screw you Perry. You're the guy that started this shitstorm by being COMPLETELY DISMISSIVE of the idea that a great deal of the ire displayed against Mr. Obama might be due to the color of his skin.

sidmon

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Strings:

Screw you Perry. You're the guy that started this shitstorm by being COMPLETELY DISMISSIVE of the idea that a great deal of the ire displayed against Mr. Obama might be due to the color of his skin.

This is the bullshit I try to get away from by sailing!!!

And when you singlehand like "Our man" then no one can refute that you are the worlds' fastest sailor and best singer!!!

No Strings...

I will call a counter BS.

There is WAYYYY too much of the "R" word getting thrown around in an effort to tar what is in fact legitimate disagreement.

Why is it ignored that Obama is NOT "Black" except by self identification!

He is in fact "Mixed Race"

(like me)

Culturally the guy grew up "White"...and Elitist!!!!

Which shows in his hypocritical crap like: "I can fly in my tricked out 747 to play a round of golf with Tiger....on the taxpayers' dime...but you peons out there need to "eat your peas".

Fuck. Him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if discussion like this is going to solve a lot problems relating racism.

I think there is a bigger picture to this.

We live on a planet with 7 billion people and counting (fast). The place is getting pretty crowded and resources are getting scarcer rapidly with a more and more endangered environment for the lot.

We better find ways to better get along with each other and understand/accept there are many ways one can live a life, or what kind of colour of skin, clothes or whatever one wears for that matter.

In the end or should I better say in the beginning we are all in it for the same course. We are all on the same side. we are in this together on this small exquisite wonderful precious planet in the universe.

If we understand that when we share the available resources more evenly and respect the hell out off this beautiful planet: the chances we're not gonna fight for it are way, way higher.

So HTFU………………………………… please?

Well.. I'm pretty much out of morals for the rest of the day, Sorry.

Still not sure if I'm gonna see the movie though, but thanks for the review.

sidmon

Super Anarchist
Chicago
We better find ways to better get along with each other and understand/accept there are many ways one can live a life, or what kind of colour of skin, clothes or whatever one wears for that matter.

In the end or should I better say in the beginning we are all in it for the same course. We are all on the same side. we are in this together on this small exquisite wonderful precious planet in the universe.

Hah!

Asking humans to not be..."Human"... isn't gonna go far!

May as well take off on a solo circumnavigation...

And watch out for wayward containers!!!!

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
...and don't forgot all those "hateful racists" who insult my WASP heritage by talking about "welching" on their bets! Boo hoo hoo.....HTFU!

If you are Welsh, you are not an Anglo Saxon, you are a Celt. Just sayin'. B)
I just KNEW that somebody would put it all together about my WASP great, great, great, grandmothers virtue and who she might have chosen to allow to come visit when her hut seemed so cold and lonely! I guess I should admit that I'm actually part Celt, part Anglo, and part Scottish, basically a mongrel, so does that mean I can't still be horribly offended whenever I overhear someone mention welching on their bet or do you have to be 100% Celt to qualify to be sensitive to this horrible slur?
Ahem. I have some, what may be bad, news for you: If you're Welsh, English and Scottish altogether then you're... ...British.

So sorry for your trouble :wub:

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Dear Abbey...My president had a father who was an anti-colonialist, a mother and grandparents who were communists, a mentor who is a liberation theology preacher, a biographer who is a convicted terrorist and close family members who are undocumented immigrants. My question is, should I tell my grandchildren that President Obama is not a sailor?

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
I guess the fundamental question is - will it scare the crap out of my family if they see it? Or can I tell them we are better prepared and always have more people on board so someone is always awake on watch...

Just remind them that it is a movie; it is fiction. Yes, shit happens occasionally to cruisers, but not as often as it happens to landlubbers.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Dear Abbey...My president had a father who was an anti-colonialist, a mother and grandparents who were communists, a mentor who is a liberation theology preacher, a biographer who is a convicted terrorist and close family members who are undocumented immigrants. My question is, should I tell my grandchildren that President Obama is not a sailor?
:lol:

BayGal

Baltimore

Cars 1.5 fatalities per million miles driven resulting in over thirty thousand deaths

27 deaths on sailboats in 2012 according to USCoast guard

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Jebus, I used to think of CA as my little refuge from the rest of the SA forums. You know, the kinder, gentler forum. I feel so, so violated!

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI

Latest posts