All Is Lost: a review.

Ishmael

Fuctifino

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
I guess the fundamental question is - will it scare the crap out of my family if they see it? Or can I tell them we are better prepared and always have more people on board so someone is always awake on watch...

Probably some time before we get a chance to view it.
Cars 1.5 fatalities per million miles driven resulting in over thirty thousand deaths27 deaths on sailboats in 2012 according to USCoast guard

Actually (in 2910) you are two orders of magnitude off . . . it's 1.1 fatalities per 100 million miles driven (source: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx). Despite the common perception, driving is astonishingly safe. The deaths rack up only because humans drive so many miles (trillions every year). Sailing is much more risky than driving, but is still very safe . . . Ranking about even with golf in both fatality and injury rates, and way way lower than high school cheerleading or alpine climbing.

kdh

Super Anarchist
I guess the fundamental question is - will it scare the crap out of my family if they see it? Or can I tell them we are better prepared and always have more people on board so someone is always awake on watch...

Probably some time before we get a chance to view it.
Cars 1.5 fatalities per million miles driven resulting in over thirty thousand deaths27 deaths on sailboats in 2012 according to USCoast guard
Actually (in 2910) you are two orders of magnitude off . . . it's 1.1 fatalities per 100 million miles driven (source: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx). Despite the common perception, driving is astonishingly safe. The deaths rack up only because humans drive so many miles (trillions every year). Sailing is much more risky than driving, but is still very safe . . . Ranking about even with golf in both fatality and injury rates, and way way lower than high school cheerleading or alpine climbing.
Meanwhile we worry about child abductions and all sorts of other terrible but rare occurrences.

With repetitive so-called sub-concussions causing measurable and permanent brain injury, things are not looking good for football, so maybe cheerleading will go along with it.

sidmon

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Wish I could get All Lost up in this...

(I'm sorry, I fought to the end...)

lingerie26n-2-web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Makes me want to be the quarterback.

" Down,,,Hut 1, hut 2, hut 3,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hut 23,548"

viktor

Anarchist
pnw
Slight thread drift. Happy birthday Ish. Hope your day is (was) going better than this topic.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Slight thread drift. Happy birthday Ish. Hope your day is (was) going better than this topic.
Thanks, Vik. My day is going brilliantly. I had a run to the local dump with a bunch of old plastic things, another run to the composting place with a load of gardening debris...it feels good to get two carloads of crap out of your life on a celebratory day.

As a bonus, I have ribeye steaks, some fresh scallops, a decent bottle of Cab Sauv, and a wife to share it with tonight in front of the fire. Life is good. All is not lost here.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Hey Ish, Happy Birthday from the Cape!
Thanks, Ken. From one end to the other...

Just as an interesting aside to bury in an obscure thread, my wife gave me a couple of Lenny Breau CD's, one of which was his first professional recording at 21. His backing band was Rick Danko on acoustic bass, and Levon Helm on drums.

Hey Ish, Happy Birthday from the Cape!
Thanks, Ken. From one end to the other...

Just as an interesting aside to bury in an obscure thread, my wife gave me a couple of Lenny Breau CD's, one of which was his first professional recording at 21. His backing band was Rick Danko on acoustic bass, and Levon Helm on drums.
Wow, talk about a band! (The Band?) Enjoy them.

A

Amati

Another circle around the sun Ish: and you live!

Just saw All is Lost-

I'm throwing my vote, movie wise, ( at this late date!) towards Redford playing the character as an aging alcoholic.

Not like we know any sailors like that.

;)

He knew what to do- he just couldn't get ahead of it.

When the Fantasy gets ahead of the Reality. (Would there be an industry without that?)

Latest posts