All-New Velocitek ProStart

Streetwise

Super Anarchist
Lake Champlain
Will this unit ever gift lift/header numbers or indicators? It seems like the only thing from the Shift that I would be missing. Perhaps let us toggle between heel and shift indicators, or some other way.

Then I can just have the new ProStart on my Viper 640, and leave my Shift with my RS Aero. BTW, I did confirm that the Shift is class legal with the RS Aero with all features.

Thanks

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Is there a trick to connecting to the unit to download data? I use Mac computers if that matters (it shouldn't?). I have tried a few computers so far and when I plug the unit into the computer all the happens is the unit shows "USB" on the screen and charging icon, but I cannot locate the unit itself. I tired using Disc Utility as well to see if I could "see" the unit as a drive, no luck.
If you're the guy who called earlier then you should be sorted.

If you're not, please try another USB port on your computer (not a USB hub) and the supplied USB cable. From your description it sounds like the ProStart recognizes it is connected to power but the computer is not finding the ProStart. There are some USB cables which are power only.

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Will this unit ever gift lift/header numbers or indicators? It seems like the only thing from the Shift that I would be missing. Perhaps let us toggle between heel and shift indicators, or some other way.

Then I can just have the new ProStart on my Viper 640, and leave my Shift with my RS Aero. BTW, I did confirm that the Shift is class legal with the RS Aero with all features.

Thanks
We're completely tied up in manufacturing at the moment, but we'll try build this feature by the end of the year.

Thanks for the request.

allweather

baltic
But how did it go?
Well, no racing but I got my unit before the boat was to be hauled out for the winter and had some fun sailing for a couple hours before it got chilly towards the evening.

To start with the W-bracket that I used to mount it to my mast. Works nice and is small to be unassuming when the prostart isn't mounted. However the supplied tapped rod to slide into the mast track and screw the bracket to turned out a little too big to fit(due to fittings limiting access on my mast). Will have to mill off 1-2mm to slide it past an obstruction and get a neat connection.

Luckily the bracket also comes with a piece of rope that easily holds the bracket together with the non slip rubber on the bracket itself helping preventing slipping when you pulled the rope tight.

From there it is just clipping in the prostart, maybe add a rope to the convenient mounting point for a safety strap, and go sailing.
Which I did and enjoyed as hoped for. Very easy to read in all lighting conditions and the numbers really are big(especially on a small boat :)
Buttons are easy to use even with cold and gloved fingers too.

Tried out the line feature. Convenient but will take some getting used to as I never had such functioniality.
For now half the fun, in particular when sailing on our own, is having the course and speed displayed at the mast. Even otherwise more relaxed crew got into chasing the day's top speed.

Looking forward to next season with the device.

Streetwise

Super Anarchist
Lake Champlain
Order placed. I love the Velocitek gear. Thanks.

I am working on getting a Nautalytics Aero-bracket re-drilled for a a Shift. 

I would rather just buy a unit, if possible.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Moab

Anarchist
Another Thumbs up for the ProStart. Used ours for the first time a few weeks back on a race that into the evening dark hours. All modes- daylight, backlit and red light worked great- very visible. 

Ran into somethin we had not thought of., and a nice benefit of the device. Very low key race, take your own time event. Was a reverse handicap start. The day prior, we learned in an amendment that the RC would not be on station at the start. The line was a mag heading from a buoy marking one end of the line to a point 0.25 miles away. Was easy to go ping the buoy as one end, then move to a point .25 miles away at the right mag heading and "ping" the other end. No need to worry about a transit or any of that. Relied on the distance to line and made an easy, not over early,  start. 

Really nice having mag heading instead of GPS heading. One thing I would like is to be able to show both side by side. 

Streetwise

Super Anarchist
Lake Champlain
There are many brands entering this sector, but Velocitek has a proven track record of reliability and endurance. ProStart with magnetic compass is sweet.

Streetwise

Super Anarchist
Lake Champlain
IMG_1860.jpeg

IMG_1862.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

IMG_1865.jpeg

IMG_1866.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpg

So I have a C&C29 with original instruments (depth/speed) which, surprisingly, still work (from 1984).  I could go whole hog and replace them or just get a ProStart?  I will race weeknight PHRF and some weekends each summer.  I wouldn't get a wind data, but I don't think that will make a huge difference.  I like the ProStart's start line functionality and it would be way cheaper than buying a whole "system", say from B&G. Thoughts?

velocitek

i wanna go fast!

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
So I have a C&C29 with original instruments (depth/speed) which, surprisingly, still work (from 1984).  I could go whole hog and replace them or just get a ProStart?  I will race weeknight PHRF and some weekends each summer.  I wouldn't get a wind data, but I don't think that will make a huge difference.  I like the ProStart's start line functionality and it would be way cheaper than buying a whole "system", say from B&G. Thoughts?
If you start with the ProStart and you end up being happy with your existing system plus the ProStart you will have saved a bunch of cash. The magnetic compass on the new ProStart is more accurate (+/- 1 degree) than B&G's standard Precision-9 magnetic sensor (+/- 2 degrees).

If you end up going full B&G after getting a ProStart, the ProStart will still be extremely useful as a starting tool. For example, at the Melges 24 Charleston Open last month the top 3 boats were all using the ProStart along with B&G / Raymarine instruments.

Ultraman

Anarchist
Vancouver
Get a ProStart to augment your old instruments.

I have a full NKE System on my 40 foot race boat and we still have the ProStart mounted on the binnacle.  Driver can ping the line, get the countdown, see Speed, Direction, etc.  We can do all of this with the NKE and/or Garmin plotter too, but the ProStart's simplicity and ease of use trumps the others (we usually do both). 

I have had Velocitek SC-1 and Pro Start on last 3 boats.  When it is time to sell: you unclip the Velocitek, slide old boat out of slip, drive new one in, attach Velocitek, go sailing. 

New ProStart looks great and is on my wish list, but old one from 2012 still works fine, so having trouble justifying spending money on something that's not broken.

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
@velocitek, what is the recommended lashing pattern?

I can't wait to use this in May!
There's no one prescribed method for the lashing. Our only recommendation is that you pass the lashing through all 6 eyes before you tighten up on the system.

You can lace like a shoe with the two ends meeting at the top or bottom, and then use a hitch or a bowline to create a 2:1 for the final tie off.

Dead ending at one of the corner eyes with a small bowline and then lacing through the remaining eyes will also work. Here too you'll want to add a hitch and a 2:1 for the final tie off.

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
If you start with the ProStart and you end up being happy with your existing system plus the ProStart you will have saved a bunch of cash. The magnetic compass on the new ProStart is more accurate (+/- 1 degree) than B&G's standard Precision-9 magnetic sensor (+/- 2 degrees).

If you end up going full B&G after getting a ProStart, the ProStart will still be extremely useful as a starting tool. For example, at the Melges 24 Charleston Open last month the top 3 boats were all using the ProStart along with B&G / Raymarine instruments.
Plus if you're racing in the evenings, the backlight will make for a super easy, super visible screen when it gets dark!

FYI, I've been playing with this all weekend. I'm not a programmer-I can use Python to do engineering type things, but am waaay more comfortable in Matlab. I've avoided jumping over to that though because most people don't have, want or can afford Matlab. Anyway, my focus has been on developing an executable that opens a GUI and lets you select the file to convert. I've run into a few road blocks but maybe by the end of the week I'll have something up and running.
I have deployed last week an update on chartedsails.com/prostart - You can now choose to download your .vtk file in CSV or GPX format. No ChartedSails subscription or account required, this is free for everyone. And if you are concerned about privacy, your file never leaves your computer, it is converted in the browser. I hope this will be of service to some!

cheers,

thomas

Peter Salling

I have a Shift and just bought a Prostart 2020. Is it possible to put them next to each other without disturbing the magnetic compasses?

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
I have a Shift and just bought a Prostart 2020. Is it possible to put them next to each other without disturbing the magnetic compasses?
Yes. The new ProStart will not disturb the compass in the Shift.

Change the ProStart to COG mode and you'll get the most out of your setup. To do this:

1. Press and hold RESET for 3 seconds to enter user setup
  2. Press GUN twice to scroll through Declination and Bow Offset menus and enter Direction Output (heading or COG)
  3. Press either PIN or RC to toggle Direction Output from Heading "Hdg" to COG "COg"
  4. Press GUN to save the Direction Output selection and enter Damping menu
  5. Press GUN to exit Damping and the user setup menu and resume normal operation