All-New Velocitek ProStart

OK. Thanks. But could you please explain why you recommend COG compass on the Prostart. What would be the use of that?
Velocitek will correct me if I'm wrong but if your Shift is already showing compass heading it would be redundant to have both your shift and Prostart showing compass heading.  COG will allow you to see if there's a current or a leeway component to your true direction of the boat compared to the compass heading displayed on the Shift.  One way to think of it is your boat may be pointing directly north as indicated by compass heading but if there's a strong side current your actual direction of travel (COG) will not show you going directly north.  In places where there are significant currents COG is often more important than compass heading if you're using your instruments to reach a mark.  I suppose an overpowered boat in heavy winds could also theoretically end up sliding sideways too much so COG vs hdg could be useful in that case to see if you're actually tracking forward correctly or if you need to depower.  Not sure how practical it would be to use it in that type of situation though.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScowLover

Anarchist
Wisconsin
Is there a mechanism to power down if no movement happens for a while? Love the USB rechargeable battery, but when I forget to power it off, it'll be more challenging than swapping AA batteries to get up and running for the race about to start. 

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Velocitek will correct me if I'm wrong but if your Shift is already showing compass heading it would be redundant to have both your shift and Prostart showing compass heading.  COG will allow you to see if there's a current or a leeway component to your true direction of the boat compared to the compass heading displayed on the Shift.  One way to think of it is your boat may be pointing directly north as indicated by compass heading but if there's a strong side current your actual direction of travel (COG) will not show you going directly north.  In places where there are significant currents COG is often more important than compass heading if you're using your instruments to reach a mark.  I suppose an overpowered boat in heavy winds could also theoretically end up sliding sideways too much so COG vs hdg could be useful in that case to see if you're actually tracking forward correctly or if you need to depower.  Not sure how practical it would be to use it in that type of situation though.
All good points.

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Is there a mechanism to power down if no movement happens for a while? Love the USB rechargeable battery, but when I forget to power it off, it'll be more challenging than swapping AA batteries to get up and running for the race about to start. 
The new ProStart does not have an auto-off. We've all raced in some frustrating drift-off conditions and we wouldn't want to make that experience even more frustrating with an instrument that turns itself off automatically while you're using it.

The ProStart has a 75 hour battery so you'd have to forget to turn it off for consecutive days since the last charge before you run into an issue.

Varan

Super Anarchist
At the end of each day of racing, the crew gathers, beers are opened and we each guess what our max speed was. We consult the Velocitek to determine the winner, then turn it off. It's a fun ritual that ensures that the instrument is always turned off and properly put away.

Remembering to recharge it after a few beers, well that's a different problem.

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Whitbread Winner, America’s Cup Skipper, Olympian, and multiple World Champion Paul Cayard sails with the new ProStart. And you should too!

New ProStarts are in stock and orders are shipping daily. We want to help you get a new ProStart quickly. We're offering free shipping (any shipping method, including international) through the end of January. Use this link to get free shipping:

https://www.velocitek.com/discount/XE661EX2V4R5

Sneaky Duck

Anarchist
Rochester, NY
Because the star class doesn't allow multiple units in the boat.  It's got to be all in 1 and especially as a new sailor to the class, I've been getting a lot out of the speed functions.  I bought the shift because it's magnetic, and when sailing in areas with a lot of current, my thought was, I'd switch it over.  Or use the prostart for training, super long starting lines.... whatever.  Hasn't ended up being what I do though.  I just stick with my current prostart instead of picking based on the day.  perhaps if both used the same bracket i'd switch it up more, but they don't and it's an annoyance to unbolt it when i want to swap.

ScowLover

Anarchist
Wisconsin
My new ProStart arrived yesterday. My first impressions:

• This oozes quality compared to V1. 
  • The button feel for the power/backlight button is very different. It requires considerably less effort. 
  • The tip on the included charging cable is not strong enough to be the "coin" that opens the charging port. Fortunately, it's Micro USB and I have lots of those. 
  • I plugged it in and it charged overnight. The little "charging" animation was still going this morning. Not sure if I'm at full charge, but the battery indicator says full.
  • Shoveling my driveway this morning, I fired it up and pinged the ends of my driveway. The work flow is the same as the old one. No training required. 
  • I LOVE that the distance to line is now in 0.1m increments, not 0.5m increments. That alone is worth the upgrade. 
  • The digital compass behaves the way I'd expect. It reacts better than the shift and prism, which were both excellent. 
  • I can't wait to get on the water with this thing. The water is a bit hard in Wisconsin right now, but maybe the snow this morning won't have ruined the ice and I can set an epic top speed this weekend on an iceboat. 

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
We're completely tied up in manufacturing at the moment, but we'll try build this feature by the end of the year.

Thanks for the request.
Any success adding a shift indicator yet?  Probably my favorite feature on my Speedpuck.  Speaking of which, will they ever be in stock again?

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
My new ProStart arrived yesterday. My first impressions:

• This oozes quality compared to V1. 
  • The button feel for the power/backlight button is very different. It requires considerably less effort. 
  • The tip on the included charging cable is not strong enough to be the "coin" that opens the charging port. Fortunately, it's Micro USB and I have lots of those. 
  • I plugged it in and it charged overnight. The little "charging" animation was still going this morning. Not sure if I'm at full charge, but the battery indicator says full.
  • Shoveling my driveway this morning, I fired it up and pinged the ends of my driveway. The work flow is the same as the old one. No training required. 
  • I LOVE that the distance to line is now in 0.1m increments, not 0.5m increments. That alone is worth the upgrade. 
  • The digital compass behaves the way I'd expect. It reacts better than the shift and prism, which were both excellent. 
  • I can't wait to get on the water with this thing. The water is a bit hard in Wisconsin right now, but maybe the snow this morning won't have ruined the ice and I can set an epic top speed this weekend on an iceboat. 
I left mine plugged in for over 36hrs and it still said charging, never got to full...I think that may be a software bug. The battery indicator never got off full after 10hrs of use on the water. I agree that it is a quality unit with a quality display and the data is pretty accurate.

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
I left mine plugged in for over 36hrs and it still said charging, never got to full...I think that may be a software bug. The battery indicator never got off full after 10hrs of use on the water. I agree that it is a quality unit with a quality display and the data is pretty accurate.
I'm pretty sure the never-ending battery charging thing is a firmware bug. We will investigate and fix it with the next version of the firmware. If you leave it plugged in to a wall cube / phone charger over night, you can count on it being fully charged in the morning. If you're using the USB port on a computer it will take 55 hours to get from completely empty to fully charged (5500 mAh battery / 100mA charge current = 55h). 

-Alec

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
I'm pretty sure the never-ending battery charging thing is a firmware bug. We will investigate and fix it with the next version of the firmware. If you leave it plugged in to a wall cube / phone charger over night, you can count on it being fully charged in the morning. If you're using the USB port on a computer it will take 55 hours to get from completely empty to fully charged (5500 mAh battery / 100mA charge current = 55h). 

-Alec
Copy that! This was with a wall cube. The in-use battery life is fantastic!

Varan

Super Anarchist
Bump. This seems like the appropriate thread to discuss back lighting options.

backlight.png

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Bump. This seems like the appropriate thread to discuss back lighting options.
@Varan thanks for bringing this discussion over to this thread! The ProStart has three backlight settings: white, red, off. White is for overcast conditions, red is for dusk to dawn, and off is for bright conditions.

The product photo of the red backlight on the white background (above) is a studio photo of a working ProStart. This photo was taken by professionals in a controlled environment with perfect lighting. It is not a dummy display. It is not a rendering.

@nige yes, there are funny things going with the action shot of the ProStart on the boat at night. The camera made everything look brighter than it looked in real life. Again, this video gets closer to the truth but it's still brighter than it was in person.

It's also worth reiterating that the ProStart in the action shot and the video was a pre-production sample. We weren't satisfied with the brightness of the backlight so we changed it before we went to production. No ProStarts were sold with that bright backlight.

atnan

Alameda, CA
Anyone know what "All ProStarts are made in small batches in our factory in San Mateo, California." translates to in terms of time from ordering to shipping? Ordered mine 6 days ago, hoping to have it for a race this weekend  B)