All-New Velocitek ProStart

Dimensions might have to wait - my mast is on a rack behind a few others for the winter.....here are 2 photos.

would this work? https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2158748#

double mast 2.JPG

double mast.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the shift tracking mode still work if you select the COG setting for the compass?  Will be using in tandem with a RaceMaster that already has the magnetic compass built in, so would like to keep the Prostart on COG.  Just curious.

Thanks

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Does the shift tracking mode still work if you select the COG setting for the compass?  Will be using in tandem with a RaceMaster that already has the magnetic compass built in, so would like to keep the Prostart on COG.  Just curious.

Thanks
Yes! The bar graph shift tracking still works and it is still magnetic compass based if COG is selected for the direction output.

The bar graph (Heel or Shift) and direction output (COG or Magnetic Heading) are configured independently.

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Did you know the new ProStart calculates the magnetic bearing the starting line is square to? It does, press MODE and MAX simultaneously! Learn more on our blog and watch the video below:

Also, the new ProStart with firmware version 35 and up automatically looks up your local magnetic declination and brings data from degrees true into degrees magnetic so your ProStart data is even move useful! Interested in learning more? We've got a blog post on this too!

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
Just continuing to bring out features and concepts that make the prostart better and better to use. 

Not promising anything that you can't do, and quietly exceling. Thanks!

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
I am gradually getting all my feature requests!
Thanks for sharing. You beat us to it!

Would you like to display heel and pitch numerically as you speed test and tune? Or would you like to see Heading vs COG on one page for current information? You can do all of that and more with the new Bonus Screen. Bonus Screen is a new feature released with ProStart firmware version 40, which is out now. Learn more on our blog and watch the video Streewise posted above (https://youtu.be/31tH5rmJ-QM).

Is the COG degrees displayed in True or magnetic?   The deviation for the compass heading is set to default, so it will be magnetic, but I am seeing a massive difference between heading and cogs.  not sure why that would be unless COGs is coming out in true.

thoughts?

Brian

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Is the COG degrees displayed in True or magnetic?   The deviation for the compass heading is set to default, so it will be magnetic, but I am seeing a massive difference between heading and cogs.  not sure why that would be unless COGs is coming out in true. thoughts?
COG is displayed in degrees magnetic, based on the ProStart magnetic declination setting.

The default magnetic declination is calculated using your current geographic location (from the GPS solution) and the NOAA World Magnetic Model (WMM) which is programmed onto the ProStart. The NOAA WMM works well in most places but it is not able account for all localized distortions in the earth's magnetic field. It sounds like the NOAA model is giving you an inaccurate default magnetic declination for your location.

The solution is to manually adjust the magnetic declination on your ProStart to get COG and SOG to match when you're moving in the same direction that the ProStart is pointed. The easiest way to check this is by walking briskly in an open space, in a straight line, with the ProStart held in front of you.

Please ask if you want more details on any of this.

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
ProStart-equipped teams finished 1, 2 at the 2022 Melges 24 World Championships! Congratulations to the teams on Raza Mixta and Zenda Express:

1. Raza Mixta - Peter Duncan, Erik Shampain, Morgan Trubovich, Victor Diaz de Leon, Matt Pistay
  2. Zenda Express - Harry Melges IV, Finn Rowe, Ripley Shelley, Carlos Robles, Patrick Wilson

ProStart equipped teams also finished 1, 2 in the Corinthian division! Congratulations to the teams on Taki 4 and Sunnyvale:

1. Taki 4 - Niccolo Bertola, Giacomo Fossati, Giovanni Bannetta, Pietro Seghezza, Marco Zammarchi
  2. Sunnyvale - Fraser McMillan, Aidan Koster, Alexander Levkovskiy, Ansel Koehn, Kieran Horsburgh

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Thanks for sharing. You beat us to it!

Would you like to display heel and pitch numerically as you speed test and tune? Or would you like to see Heading vs COG on one page for current information? You can do all of that and more with the new Bonus Screen. Bonus Screen is a new feature released with ProStart firmware version 40, which is out now. Learn more on our blog and watch the video Streewise posted above (https://youtu.be/31tH5rmJ-QM).
Instaled V40 last night.  Seems really nice!  I have the bonus screen set for Heading and Heel Angle.  One issue that I noticed it that on Starboard Tack the Heel Angle display reads "-23", but on Port Tack it reads "23.4"!  I would just like it to be consistent, tack to tack!   I really don't need the dash to tell me which way the boat is heeling!  

Overall, I would still say that it's a nice improvement!

velocitek

i wanna go fast!
Instaled V40 last night.  Seems really nice!  I have the bonus screen set for Heading and Heel Angle.  One issue that I noticed it that on Starboard Tack the Heel Angle display reads "-23", but on Port Tack it reads "23.4"!  I would just like it to be consistent, tack to tack!   I really don't need the dash to tell me which way the boat is heeling!  

Overall, I would still say that it's a nice improvement!
Thanks for the feedback! We'll incorporate this request with an upcoming firmware release.